GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

heated seats retrofit

Aaron1875

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk 7.5 Golf R
I can try to address some of these questions separately, the thread is long but I think all the info is here...

What do I need to check for that my seats have heater mats?
There will be an additional large plug coming from the seat harness (if you compare it to the harness of your non-heated seats). Otherwise you could start pulling off the upper seat cover. The bottom seat cover is too much work but getting enough of the upper seat cover off to see the mats isn't that bad.

Aside from ringing dealer but how do I know whether the car originally has heated seats option?
This should be no problem if you have the VIN of the original car, easier than checking plugs or pulling seat covers. Just call and say you're looking to buy that car and want to verify.

Which module in VCDS do I interrogate to find which BCM type I have?
Module 09 (J519) Central Electronics is the BCM... post it here, someone can probably tell you if it's low/mid/high

How do I check the heated seats option is there or how do I activate if it was not factory optioned?
In VCDS select Modules > 09-Cent Electronics > Coding > Long Coding Helper... scroll through for the heated seats option
You can also physically check for required pins on the BCM as described in post 20 in this thread... this will tell you if your BCM supports heated seats

Should the wiring be present running from Dash console to the underneath of the seats irrespective of whether heated seats were optioned or not?
No, unfortunately.

If not where would you recommend sourcing the appropriate loom?
Bought mine from Kufatec, but you can also find them on AliExpress... search something like "Golf 7 Heated Seat."

How do you connect it to the existing loom that plugs into back of Climatronic unit that house heated seats switches?
Harness connects to the BCM and fusebox, left footwell area. The Climatronic just has the buttons, but those buttons tell the BCM to power the seat heaters.
Thanks for the informative reply, your knowledge supersedes most UK based forums, really appreciate your input and it’s a fantastic thread but shame I’m not technically capable to route wiring if it transpires I don’t have the wiring in place.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Thanks for the informative reply, your knowledge supersedes most UK based forums, really appreciate your input and it’s a fantastic thread but shame I’m not technically capable to route wiring if it transpires I don’t have the wiring in place.
It's really rather simple, I promise!

Unbolt the seats (four bolts and they just lift out) and the carpet is pre cut to access the wiring. Run from there, down the sills, behind the pedals, behind the centre console to the fusebox and BCM. Passenger side is even easier. Just needs to go down the sill.

Trims just pull off as they're clipped in.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
I’m researching on how to activate my heated seats, I had all switch gear and dash and full interior transplanted from a 2016 Golf R into an R Line NAV model 7.5. I have one gremlin which I’ve posted about separately which is a missing Loom that plugs into port C of dual Climatronic unit. All sensors and actuators are present but some numpty had cut that particular plug and when I removed unit it there it was plugged in with wires cut hanging off. However the heated seats switch lights up and then flashes for a few seconds.
I’m a total newbie to this, what do I need to check for that my seats have heater mats ? Aside from ringing dealer but how do I know whether the car originally has heated seats option. I read your earlier post about BCM, which module in VCDS do I interrogate to find which BCM type I have and assuming I do how do I check the heated seats option is there or how do I activate if it was not factory optioned. Lastly should the wiring be present running from Dash console to the underneath of the seats irrespective of whether heated seats were optioned or not ? If not where would you recommend sourcing the appropriate loom ? and how do you connect it to the existing loom that plugs into back of Climatronic unit that house heated seats switches.
Someone has cut plug C? Why?

Aaron1875

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk 7.5 Golf R
Someone has cut plug C? Why?
Because they’re imbeciles, I think they cut it when removing the dash from the donor Golf R,
I’m trying to work out whether my Golf actually had dual Climatronic to begin with.
I’ve attached pics of VCDS (I’m a complete novice using it) HVAC & Central Electrics.
The HVAC indicated the various faults and shows the Climatronic unit (which I’m assuming came from Golf R or could have been the original one. Are the the fault codes generated by the BCM ? because that would indicate the car did come with dual climate control and the car can’t find the various sensors and motors. There’s 16 fault codes in all.

I have also attached the Central Electrics module info, (ignore fault codes the Golf R front xenon DRL and rear tail lights need coding in, however the BCM details are available. Mine is an BCM MQBAB M H38 is this a medium or high ? I also took a screenshot of Adv measuring blocks and in the drop down list it showed Right and Left heated seats and resize five temperature but stays was not connected/coded.
I have attempted to take pics underneath the seats but it was cramped trying to get to plugs. I’ve attached these pics too, would be great if anyone could confirm whether these seats Golf R leather seats do have heated mat elements.

Attachments

• CF363AB4-A78A-400A-A250-4B5E547AD19C.jpeg
    CF363AB4-A78A-400A-A250-4B5E547AD19C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 161
  • 610AAAF8-F231-4FD1-B8F3-BE9C19147E17.jpeg
    610AAAF8-F231-4FD1-B8F3-BE9C19147E17.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 142
  • 167D514E-41E0-4B79-9EE3-35B09941A618.jpeg
    167D514E-41E0-4B79-9EE3-35B09941A618.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 153
  • 78CCA164-18F1-4E45-BF42-98A1702366D1.jpeg
    78CCA164-18F1-4E45-BF42-98A1702366D1.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 160
  • 104F94D7-DE51-4D45-8AA1-C0FBA985CFC7.jpeg
    104F94D7-DE51-4D45-8AA1-C0FBA985CFC7.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 141
  • E0740357-8DAA-40C3-839C-25E2C90D0A71.jpeg
    E0740357-8DAA-40C3-839C-25E2C90D0A71.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 149
  • 6D7C4EA5-BC51-4F9A-8E1B-B97AE5CF1254.jpeg
    6D7C4EA5-BC51-4F9A-8E1B-B97AE5CF1254.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 155
  • 7BF6A5B5-7E2F-43B3-ABA6-63040FD4ED43.jpeg
    7BF6A5B5-7E2F-43B3-ABA6-63040FD4ED43.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 172
  • 4BD6C981-8004-496D-A333-202C5A9C50E1.jpeg
    4BD6C981-8004-496D-A333-202C5A9C50E1.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 147
  • 4B31EC52-DEEF-489F-8813-4D6ACEF63C62.jpeg
    4B31EC52-DEEF-489F-8813-4D6ACEF63C62.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 213

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Because they’re imbeciles, I think they cut it when removing the dash from the donor Golf R,
I’m trying to work out whether my Golf actually had dual Climatronic to begin with.
I’ve attached pics of VCDS (I’m a complete novice using it) HVAC & Central Electrics.
The HVAC indicated the various faults and shows the Climatronic unit (which I’m assuming came from Golf R or could have been the original one. Are the the fault codes generated by the BCM ? because that would indicate the car did come with dual climate control and the car can’t find the various sensors and motors. There’s 16 fault codes in all.

I have also attached the Central Electrics module info, (ignore fault codes the Golf R front xenon DRL and rear tail lights need coding in, however the BCM details are available. Mine is an BCM MQBAB M H38 is this a medium or high ? I also took a screenshot of Adv measuring blocks and in the drop down list it showed Right and Left heated seats and resize five temperature but stays was not connected/coded.
I have attempted to take pics underneath the seats but it was cramped trying to get to plugs. I’ve attached these pics too, would be great if anyone could confirm whether these seats Golf R leather seats do have heated mat elements.
Let's take a step back for a minute...

It sounds like somebody has attempted to retrofit a Climatronic panel to a car with Climatic from factory. Plug C doesn't exist on Climatic.

It's quite common for breakers to just snip the looms and leave the plug in, then sell the panel with the plugs.

Do you actually have a loom in your car that's chopped off? Or just a plug with some wires coming out of it?

What spec is your car? Have you checked for vent temp sensors on either side of the dash?

As for your seats...... could you please take a photo of the large connector block under the carpet on each side?

Aaron1875

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk 7.5 Golf R
I’ll attempt to take a pic again underneath the seats, however before I do, do you think my BCM has the pin(s) for heated seat function. VCDS brings up that it’s a
BCM MQBAB M H38 0273, does the M denote Medium or does H38. If I dont have the correct BCM I’m cutting my losses and giving up lol.

In regards to the Climatronic, My current Dashboard is sourced from the donor Golf R and I have the vent sensors either side, however it transpires the original heating system was Climatic, so I would have only had plugs A & B, so your right someone just cut the Climatronic plug from the donor Golf R and installed it with that chopped plug in. I’ve read a post that there’s a retro fit loom that can fit into Port C to get the Climatronic to function, but would this entail having to install a foot well temperature sensor, photo light sensor too and probably some more items and pinning into them BCM to get it to activate ?
Back to the same issue will my BCM support the Dual Climatronic function ?
If I use VCDS and click on Central Electrics and Adv Measuring blocks and it shows parameters/Options relating to Left and right Dual Climatronic is that a way of verifying that the BCM support this upgrade ?
Thanks again for your diligence and patience.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
I’ll attempt to take a pic again underneath the seats, however before I do, do you think my BCM has the pin(s) for heated seat function. VCDS brings up that it’s a
BCM MQBAB M H38 0273, does the M denote Medium or does H38. If I dont have the correct BCM I’m cutting my losses and giving up lol.

In regards to the Climatronic, My current Dashboard is sourced from the donor Golf R and I have the vent sensors either side, however it transpires the original heating system was Climatic, so I would have only had plugs A & B, so your right someone just cut the Climatronic plug from the donor Golf R and installed it with that chopped plug in. I’ve read a post that there’s a retro fit loom that can fit into Port C to get the Climatronic to function, but would this entail having to install a foot well temperature sensor, photo light sensor too and probably some more items and pinning into them BCM to get it to activate ?
Back to the same issue will my BCM support the Dual Climatronic function ?
If I use VCDS and click on Central Electrics and Adv Measuring blocks and it shows parameters/Options relating to Left and right Dual Climatronic is that a way of verifying that the BCM support this upgrade ?
Thanks again for your diligence and patience.
Yes that's BCM Mid. Won't support heated seats.

You would be better off just fitting the original Climatic panel. The cheat loom sort of works, but it's certainly not perfect. You won't get dual zone, obviously.

No one that I'm aware of has done a full Climatic to Climatronic retrofit. It'd be a complete dash out job and very cost prohibitive.

Aaron1875

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk 7.5 Golf R
Damn I can’t get heated seats due to having a lame BCM lol, I just found the more basic Climatic Control unit with heated seats on eBay too. I may just get it if I ever pluck up the courage to swap the BCM so I have the option later.

It’s such a shame the previous owners, who own an Insurance Car reclamation business did not swap the whole heater box and ancillaries from a water engine flooded VW Golf R, when they swapped the dashboard. They literally swapped over everything else full interior inc headliner, exterior parts such as bumpers, roof spoilers, lights, wheels, brakes R callipers and suspension but sadly left the crucial parts for the dual climate control out to work properly.

An easy guide to swapping the BCM would be really helpful for future.

Thanks for all the replies you guys have been really helpful.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Damn I can’t get heated seats due to having a lame BCM lol, I just found the more basic Climatic Control unit with heated seats on eBay too. I may just get it if I ever pluck up the courage to swap the BCM so I have the option later.

It’s such a shame the previous owners, who own an Insurance Car reclamation business did not swap the whole heater box and ancillaries from a water engine flooded VW Golf R, when they swapped the dashboard. They literally swapped over everything else full interior inc headliner, exterior parts such as bumpers, roof spoilers, lights, wheels, brakes R callipers and suspension but sadly left the crucial parts for the dual climate control out to work properly.

An easy guide to swapping the BCM would be really helpful for future.

Thanks for all the replies you guys have been really helpful.
Bit of a bizarre car you've got there!

BCM swap is easy physically, but it will require Component Protection removal and all coding/adaptations transferring across. Only someone with GeKo access can do this.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Many actuators, sensors, a new distributor, and all of the associated wiring for which no premanufactured loom exists.

All with the dash entirely out which in itself is one hell of a job.
Summer 2023 it is then!

@Aaron1875 If you have a competent dealer the BCM change should be no big deal. I retrofitted high BCM (for heated seats and fog lights) in my car which has the simple Climatic system.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Summer 2023 it is then!

@Aaron1875 If you have a competent dealer the BCM change should be no big deal. I retrofitted high BCM (for heated seats and fog lights) in my car which has the simple Climatic system.
Also worth noting there's plenty of mobile retrofitters in the UK who'll do it significantly cheaper than the dealer :p

Aaron1875

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk 7.5 Golf R
I’m yet to find a decent reliable retrofitter.
lol
Whilst im at it I may as well ask your advice on upgrading the audio system.

currently on eBay there’s a full Dynaudio system. tweters Mids front and back spare wheel sub and under seat amp for £350 translates approx $400.

I currently have Dynaudio tweeters in A pillars that came from the donor Golf R but I’m pretty sure one tweeters distorting and the sound is pretty flat from the rest of the speakers because the doors still have the standard speakers, hence wanting to upgrade.

My head unit is the MIB 2 screen and I believe there an amp under my seat, well it’s looks like an amp. I’ve attached pics and part no for what I believe is the amp.

Will installing the Dynaudio setup involve an upgraded BCM too ?

I’ve attached pics of item with heat sink under my seat including pic of label and rear connector.
Do you think the Dynaudio will plug abd play or will I require a specific loom too

Attachments

• C1347391-BFFE-462E-B8E8-8E8CA88DCC1D.jpeg
    C1347391-BFFE-462E-B8E8-8E8CA88DCC1D.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 81
  • 10ECB7BF-0025-44FC-A979-8E017979FBB8.jpeg
    10ECB7BF-0025-44FC-A979-8E017979FBB8.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 93
  • 57BBBAA0-82DD-443C-8089-A4EC3B6573C3.jpeg
    57BBBAA0-82DD-443C-8089-A4EC3B6573C3.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 92
  • D93A313D-6BEB-457B-AC71-3AA5F8289C6E.jpeg
    D93A313D-6BEB-457B-AC71-3AA5F8289C6E.jpeg