GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Heated mirrors on at 10C?

Leopold1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI DSG PP MY 2016
I've just noticed that when I select CAR (Infotainment button)/Convenience Consumers, it shows "Heated mirrors" (horizontal histogram bar).

Is this normal or a malfunction?

Leopold
GTI Mk7 MY16

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
is your mirror control on the door set to the heating position, if so, as I understand it they will be on all the time. AFAIK, the MK7 doesn't have automatic heating based on ambient temperatures ?

Leopold1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI DSG PP MY 2016
Sootchucker, yes that's it, you're dead right. Many thanks.
I feel a bit of a fool now. But it won't happen again.

I don't know how long it's been in that position. The battery will appreciate it being off.

Thanks again, Leopold

Leopold1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI DSG PP MY 2016
Just looked at the Owner's manual Edition 11.2015, page 116

"Initially, the exterior mirror heating will heat at maximum temperature. After approximately two minutes, the temperature will be adjusted according to the ambient temperature."

Presumably, that last bit means that heat is reduced per ambient temperature but the power is not actually turned completely off, right?

Do you think an indicator light somewhere would have been useful to show that mirror heating is on? I know that we've got too many warning lights as it is :)

Leopold

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Youre overthinking. Mine have been left on almost the entire time I've had the car, almost 5 years. They are fine, no battery issues, still on original OEM battery

Leopold1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI DSG PP MY 2016
Youre overthinking. Mine have been left on almost the entire time I've had the car, almost 5 years. They are fine, no battery issues, still on original OEM battery

Phew, that’s a relief, thanks.

my oem battery replaced after 60 months, unacceptable quality/not up to the job IMO

You’re lucky getting 5 years out of yours
Is it a SEBANG (VARTA attempt to cut costs) by any chance?

Leopold1

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Phew, that’s a relief, thanks.

my oem battery replaced after 60 months, unacceptable quality/not up to the job IMO

You’re lucky getting 5 years out of yours
Is it a SEBANG (VARTA attempt to cut costs) by any chance?

Leopold1

Thats the same amount of time....

Also, car batteries are only supposed to last about 3.5-4 years depending on your usage. Its astonishing how many people think the battery should last forever.

Leopold1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI DSG PP MY 2016
Oops. Well spotted. I meant to say 30 months life of course.

I think it’s because some of us remember batteries lasting 7 - 12 years.
It‘s hard to accept 3 - 5 years at £200+ a pop.

Leopold