GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Heat Transfer Coatings on intercoolers

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Was looking into coatings that could be applied to intercoolers to help with heat transfer and cooling. Motorsports teams have seen good results in the past with such coatings. Found a few options out there from Cerakote, Tech Line, JCM Machine, Swaintech, and Finish Line Coatings. Looks like a good number of people have had positive results on other platforms with them. Anyone on here have any experience with these type of coatings? I found a local Cerakote applicator that can apply it for a reasonable price and I'm looking in to having it done on a CTS FMIC. Here's some links for reference: Cerakote Transfer Grey, Tech Line, JCM Machine, Finish Line Coatings

Last edited:

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
So are you going to do the outside, the inside, or both? :)

Interested to know what it costs relative to a spray bar setup.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
I'll just have the outside coated. I don't really see a way to properly coat the inside, otherwise I would do both. Initial estimate over the phone was about $150 or so, I'd bet final cost is comfortably between $150-$200. I bought the intercooler on sale for $450, so I should be in for about $600-$650 total.

The coating itself is applied very thinly, it's recommended thickness is only 1-2 mill. Cerakote recommends only one pass with the spray gun.

It'd be nice to get some solid before/after numbers, but I don't have access to any thermocouples. Anyone know how to summon MyGolfMk7? I have a feeling that kind of testing would be right up his alley.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Don’t fret, He will read this thread cause the title.

Then it will lead to a mention of shuek is38, then grocerygetter will bring up how they are frankenturbo and to avoid them, then some where in the mix that one guy will tell you that your oil selection will be the reason you car even needs an intercooler, then about 15 people will recommend you get an EQT tune, and then...lol

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

Then it will lead to a mention of shuek is38, then grocerygetter will bring up how they are frankenturbo and to avoid them, then some where in the mix that one guy will tell you that your oil selection will be the reason you car even needs an intercooler, then about 15 people will recommend you get an EQT tune, and then...lol

Well crap. Now I won't have anything to say. ?

wlfpck

Ready to race!

You forgot that someone will also ask what intake is the best. And what exhaust is the best. Also if a tune will void warranty.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI

Nice compilation. you forgot the catch can....that ALWAYS shows up to bring the party

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
I would think the coating does not enhance heat transfer, it just doesn’t block heat transfer like most coatings do.
Thermal transfer coatings have been around for decades. Most notably used in Motorsports and Aerospace industries. Their effectiveness is well documented. They're basically a thin layer of material that has very high heat conductivity to aid in transferring the heat. Of those coatings, the black ones will tend to be slightly better due to the effects of black body radiation.

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Thermal transfer coatings have been around for decades. Most notably used in Motorsports and Aerospace industries. Their effectiveness is well documented. They're basically a thin layer of material that has very high heat conductivity to aid in transferring the heat. Of those coatings, the black ones will tend to be slightly better due to the effects of black body radiation.

Won't the coating be limited to the transfer rate of the material it is applied on top of?

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
I emailed SwainTech a while back asking about this. While the email was deleted long ago, it basically said, for motorsports applications where you're trying to pull every single last pony out, sure, it'll help. For a daily driver/track enthusiast, it's not worth the cost.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
My understanding is that it will augment it. Bare aluminum to air has a transfer rate, aluminum to the coating has another transfer rate, and the coating to air has another transfer rate.

The transfer rate of aluminum to the coating and the transfer rate of the coating to air are higher than the transfer rate of aluminum to air.

Think of it like a thermal compound used in CPU or GPU coolers. It's basically just a transfer medium used to increase the efficiency of the heat transfer.

My idea to test it is to compare the IAT's of my coated one to those of a non-coated one in as close to identical circumstances as I can manage. I know that others with the CTS FMIC on Stage 2 cars have IAT's of 10-15° above ambient during pulls. If my coated one averages a bit less across multiple pulls and different ambient temps then I'll be comfortable saying that it works.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
I emailed SwainTech a while back asking about this. While the email was deleted long ago, it basically said, for motorsports applications where you're trying to pull every single last pony out, sure, it'll help. For a daily driver/track enthusiast, it's not worth the cost.
Do you remember what they quoted the price at? I figure it would be fairly expensive since their product is a top of the line one.

sloopercat

Go Kart Newbie
Looks like it increases the micro surface area, basically more surface area on a small scale. I guess that makes sense. For a street car, I guess if you are into maximizing everything. A larger more efficient IC might make this a moot point. Especially since street use is short burst generally.