GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Heads Up to All!

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
Cobb won't be able to do anything about it, the protection is within the ECU itself, so regardless of vendor they (VW) will be able to detect ECU reprogramming.

When you marry the cobb for the first time, it takes a snap shot of the ECU (this is why initial marrying takes 20-25 minutes). Once you unmarry the COBB AP it places the pre-tune data/snapshot/image whatever you want to call it back into place and it doesn't not trigger the flash counter.

**Based on my understanding**

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
I'm thinking that whatever happened with the Cobb tune is VW just didn't suspect anything and didn't dig deeper in whatever way they need to

Deep dive would only apply to whatever you had pre-marrying the AP. Again, based on my understanding.

None of this is verified. But I passed ODIS once unmarried and had engine work done.

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
:( Cobb bubble just popped. Ah well, enjoyed that 15 minutes of hope~

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
When you marry the cobb for the first time, it takes a snap shot of the ECU. Once you unmarry the COBB AP it places the pre-tune data/snapshot/image whatever you want to call it back into place and it doesnt not trigger the flash counter.

**Based on my understanding**

bubble re-inflating...

drrck

Go Kart Champion
George @ BMS posted ODIS scans showing the exact date/timestamp of an ECU that was TD1'd.

I think any ECU with the correct boxcode (regardless of flash tune vendor) will pass ODIS unless they run the deepscan and an engineer looks at the output.

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
This has always been possible.

Local to me Audi's and VW are getting scanned prior to trade in. This apparently started in the beginning of September.

No comment on Cobb if that is what they claim.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R

Local to me Audi's and VW are getting scanned prior to trade in. This apparently started in the beginning of September.

I AM SO LUCKY IT DIDN’T START SOONER!!!

Backstory:
I went in for service with my GTI 5-ish months ago and it was scanned. Unfortunately, I completely forgot to revert from my tune - Stage 2 ED.

Two months ago, I traded it in for my current Golf R and the dealership (different one) just took it in. HUGE EXHALE! :D

Last edited:

VWTURBOFAM

Ready to race!

That's the main reason if i decide to trade in, i'm taking it to freaking CARMAX, or some other dealership that is NOT associated to VW/Audi...lol.

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
The flash counter has always been there...it's just how the underlying technology works. Whether or not they were able to look at this before with dealer scan tools (or certain scan tools and their firmware versions), who knows? Pay to play, no way to get away...JB4 FTW!

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
I was at my local vw dealership last week for a warranty issue. 2017 GTI SE DSG Stock btw, and me and the Shop foreman were talking about tunes and warranty. He said for any power train or ecu related warranty. They have to scan the ECU and send it to VW. They can count the number of times it's been flashed and can detect tunes. If they do detect it, it's flagged and no warranty work regarding power train will be done. He did say if you go and be honest with them that you are tuned they can help a little bit more. He also said always be upfront with the techs too, they're not gonna write it up. And he said a lot of people have come in saying their tuned for engine warranty and didn't get flagged. Just my $.02

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion