Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Last edited:

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Okay thank you! Just another quick question if you know. If I wanted to put a gtd 7.5 bumper would that fit or are there any extra components to them?
I’m not 100% sure but as far as I know the 7.5 bumper Fits on as usual but it won’t line up properly without new headlights and wings,
See post #11 in the thread linked in my previous post!!

Dannykarim17

What year is your car?? Isn't the GT edition a Mk 7.5? If so I thought the edition version of the GT came with led headlights?
It’s a 66 mk7 1.6tdk. I want to change the headlights to the gtd 7.5 lights but Im not sure if they’ll fit. And I want to change the bumper to the gtd one as well

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Oka

thanks mate! I just need to do a bit of research
It can be done but at the very least the headlight, bumper and wings need changing because one won’t fit without the other.

hop in the wagon

I

I've just ordered mine on Lasfit, they are based in the US waiting for them to arrive. Will give you an update once i've plugged it in. They are the only ones that i found somehow decent h15's cause most of them are from China.
I just installed Lasfit H7 LED bulbs into my halogen reflector headlights. They look nice but are much too bright. I'm not sure what to do to remedy the situation but here are some scenarios I've considered to fix it:

1) Wrap headlight with smoked grey vinyl
2) Aim headlight lower

The problem with #1 is that this is illegal here in Ontario and I could pulled over and ticketed for $85. The problem with #2 is that the aim isn't really the problem, they seem to be aimed correctly but are clearly just too bright. I could be ticketed for this also.

Let me know how you feel about them once installed!

Adjusted them down and they seem to be fine now, see my next post

Last edited:

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
I just installed Lasfit H7 LED bulbs into my halogen reflector headlights. They look nice but are much too bright. I'm not sure what to do to remedy the situation but here are some scenarios I've considered to fix it:

1) Wrap headlight with smoked grey vinyl
2) Aim headlight lower

The problem with #1 is that this is illegal here in Ontario and I could pulled over and ticketed for $85. The problem with #2 is that the aim isn't really the problem, they seem to be aimed correctly but are clearly just too bright. I could be ticketed for this also.

Let me know how you feel about them once installed!
Your problem is that you’ve put led bulbs into halogen housings! The brightness you refer to is actually glare and will be blinding oncoming traffic ?

hop in the wagon

Your problem is that you’ve put led bulbs into halogen housings! The brightness you refer to is actually glare and will be blinding oncoming traffic ?

Yes you are right there is too much glare from the lights when swapped directly into the halogen housings. I adjusted the beam angle lower just now and they are much better. I believe this adjustment has eliminated the risk of glare blinding oncoming traffic. I was worried because the owner's manual says the beam angle is not user adjustable for cars with halogen housings, but it was very easy to adjust the white nylon(?) adjustment screw using a 6mm hex key. This diagram was helpful:
au38OH7.png

One problem is that now my high beam angle is obviously too low. I'm not too worried about that though as 99% of my driving is on well lit city streets and so I never really use the high beams. Perhaps I will upgrade those to LED also sometime anyway, as I bet the increased light output from the much brighter bulb would more than make up for the angle being lower than it is supposed to be with the halogen high beams.

Thanks for your concern!

iboost335sti

Passed Driver's Ed
On the topic of headlights, does anyone know if it is possible to have the inner LED lights light up as well as the outter DRL leds on MK7 pre facelift headlights?

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Yes you are right there is too much glare from the lights when swapped directly into the halogen housings. I adjusted the beam angle lower just now and they are much better. I believe this adjustment has eliminated the risk of glare blinding oncoming traffic.

"I believe". Why? Because you want to? You're 100% wrong.

Jesus Murphy kids, QUIT DOING THIS CRAP. It's illegal for GOOD REASON. You are blinding oncoming traffic and don't give 2 sh1ts about it. STOP IT!!!

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
On the topic of headlights, does anyone know if it is possible to have the inner LED lights light up as well as the outter DRL leds on MK7 pre facelift headlights?
The inner U on genuine Mk7 headlights only lights up on the R, on the GTI, GTD etc it does not contain any led’s.

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
I

I've just ordered mine on Lasfit, they are based in the US waiting for them to arrive. Will give you an update once i've plugged it in. They are the only ones that i found somehow decent h15's cause most of them are from China.

Lasfit makes a good bulb.
I have used many on my Ranger.
Well made.
I thought the headlights can be adjusted to 9 and 3 by rotating the base and setting. Ask the question on their web site.

iboost335sti

Passed Driver's Ed
The inner U on genuine Mk7 headlights only lights up on the R, on the GTI, GTD etc it does not contain any led’s.
Thanks for that info. Is getting them to light up as simple as plugging in a bulb and doing some coding? Or is the GTI missing harness components too?

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Thanks for that info. Is getting them to light up as simple as plugging in a bulb and doing some coding? Or is the GTI missing harness components too?
I can’t decide whether you are trolling or not! ?

Last edited: