GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Headlight protection recommendations

RMinNJ

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI S
Oh poo. I just put the lamin-x on mine..a couple of bubbles and I'd probably maybe have a pro do it next time but I thought it would be good protection. Should I take them off before my lights crack? Also did the fog lights.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Oh poo. I just put the lamin-x on mine..a couple of bubbles and I'd probably maybe have a pro do it next time but I thought it would be good protection. Should I take them off before my lights crack? Also did the fog lights.
Haven't heard of Fogs cracking, mainly headlights as far as i've read. So you may be good there.

RMinNJ

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI S
Haven't heard of Fogs cracking, mainly headlights as far as i've read. So you may be good there.
OMG..quick search shows the problem with a lot of people and laminX. I do have halogens which get hot.. fogs are led so probably not much heat.
Should I take the film off the headlights? I'm thinking yes. I just don't have good luck. Any better ones out there like spi eyes or ones that dissipate heat?

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
OMG..quick search shows the problem with a lot of people and laminX. I do have halogens which get hot.. fogs are led so probably not much heat.
Should I take the film off the headlights? I'm thinking yes. I just don't have good luck. Any better ones out there like spi eyes or ones that dissipate heat?
Me personally, I'd pull the LaminX. I'm avoiding it as I just don't want to take the chance. For pre-cut headlight films, 3M, Weather Tech, and Xpel all make sets. I'm going to give the WT ones a shot as OP did.

RMinNJ

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI S
Thanks so much.. I think so .. I only put the lamin-x on a couple of weeks ago so I hope they come off easily with heat.

The lamin-X does look nice and looks like it will protect the lenses well...pretty thick. But the heat from the halogens just seems like its the perfect
recipe for the problem from what I read. Sigh. Not looking forward to putting another film on.

Whtwagon

Car(s)
19 Alltrack
Glad you guys had better experience than i with Weathertech. First, they they weren’t properly die cut, so they couldn’t be removed from the border off the backing material. Then - they made me pay return shipping on a defective product. So needless to say my new headlight will live unprotected. Very disappointing customer service on that one.

Also the prep kit is a mix of IPA and water for prep, and soapy water for slip - don’t bother.

To be honest - had that have been my first Weathertech purchase - it would have been my last.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
With the Weathertech I had to use a razor and cut some material towards the top margin. They were a little on the large side but I think they’re supposed to be.

RMinNJ

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI S
Lamin-X folks got back to me and said the cracking is "a possibility but a rare thing".
I'm going to take it off. I will say my install was not that good ..not bad but definitely not pro.
Will leave it on the fogs.
Let me know what you guys are covering your lights with. Would a pro install of xpel have the same cracking issues?

bfury5

Autocross Champion
I had 3M clear bra installed on my headlights 3.5 years ago and no issues with the film at all due to heat. Headlights still look brand new after 76k miles

traan.man48

Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
I'll second the 3M clear bra--I went with the 3M Ventureshield. Installation wasn't bad, the key is to lay down the flat part of the headlight by the grille, then stretch it to contour around the rest of the headlight. I've had it on for about 3 weeks now and it looks great. I previously had the Lamin-X film on my old Honda and it was very thick and wavy. When it came time to remove the film after 5 years, the adhesive didn't come off cleanly and I ended up having to buy aftermarket replacement headlights...

RMinNJ

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI S
Thanks to this thread .. I took the Lamin-X off...it was not on long so peeled right off. I will say, yes, i guess it was a little wavy or from my install job I noticed some "artifacts" or light distortion on the sides when driving. So based on my install job I probably would have taken it off eventually.
I have an appointment with a local guy to install the 3M from a sheet at a really good price... will let everyone how it comes out.

hooville

Go Kart Newbie
I've had the 3M Pro kit from Invisible Mask on both MK7s (base halogen) for over 4 years now, no cracking, peeling or yellowing and still very clear. There are numerous marks and blemishes in the film from rocks, sand and other road debris but nothing has fully penetrated it so I'm sure the lenses are fine underneath. I have a 2000 MK4 TDI that had clear Lamin-x film on the headlights since new, and when i replaced it with 3M about 4 years ago the lenses still looked perfect!
I "film" with the lights on the car in the garage to minimize dust, not a terrible job but off the car would be easier IMHO.

RMinNJ

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI S
3M sheet being applied. Guy did a good job..i learned how to cut the edges.

RMinNJ

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI S
Exacto knife? or what's the trick to trimming it?
I want to do this soon, so many rock chips haha
He used a razor blade to trim..I could see no scratches. The trick was he put a tape or thin striped vinyl around the edge to give him a straight line to cut against. I have no idea how to cut it with the razor without scratching except to pull the excess up while you cut..