GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Headlight protection recommendations

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
My current headlights are cracking pretty bad and it’s time to replace them. They are OEM halogens with no film. I ordered a set of Helixs and don’t want them to craze or peel like they’re wont to do, so I figured a film may be best to install.

After reading online I’ve seen many people having problems with Lamin-x cracking the plastic so I’m not sure I want to go this route without some confirmation. It does get beastly hot and sunny here so that is a concern.
Does anyone have success with films, clear coats, sprays and the like?

Open to suggestions. Thanks!

bfury5

Autocross Champion
I've had 3M film on my car since day 2. Coming up on 4 years and 75000 miles, headlights still look brand new. I'm in the Northeast and car is garaged nightly, but if the 3M film (I had the scotchguard pro) is installed by a certified installer it comes with either a 5 or 7 year warranty on film defects.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I also heard Lamin-x had some cracking issues with the plastic. 3M makes good stuff, haven't tried their headlight covers for the MK7, but they have/stand by good warranties on their products.

WeatherTech makes a set also, I'm tempted to give them a shot as it's comparable price to the lamin-x or other pre-cut films.

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
I used weathertech lampguard. Great product, precut, and clear film. I will never use lamin-x again, too wavy, started yellowing after 1.5 years, and removal was a nightmare with the adhesive. I've also heard about the lenses cracking with lamin-x, fortunately didn't happen to me.

https://www.weathertech.com/volkswagen/2018/golf-r/lampgard/

Will they fit the Helix MK7.5 replica headlights perfectly, or just the Golf R MK7.5 LED headlights?

They show an image of a MK5, so... :hehe.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Do you recommend getting the application kit for the weathertech?

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Will they fit the Helix MK7.5 replica headlights perfectly, or just the Golf R MK7.5 LED headlights?

They show an image of a MK5, so... :hehe.
I think for the replicas you want to order the MK7 version (Pre-2018). Based on some quick emails with Ed when looking at the BEC Reps, the lens should be a perfect match for the stock MK7 even though they have the MK7.5 look.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Shop in town quoted me at $60 a headlight for “Sunguard” film or $75 each for 3M. For $375 lights this seems a little excessive. The weathertech is looking like a chicken leg on a deserted island at this point. 🍗 🌴

Last edited:

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Do you recommend getting the application kit for the weathertech?
I think i'm going to pick it up when I try out their lampgards. It's around $20 if I recall correctly, I'm willing to fork over the cash in the chance it does help lessen bubbles and ease of install.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
I think i'm going to pick it up when I try out their lampgards. It's around $20 if I recall correctly, I'm willing to fork over the cash in the chance it does help lessen bubbles and ease of install.
I just watched their install video. Seems it’s just rubbing alcohol and baby shampoo mixed with water; nothing particularly special.

SonicBloom

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
I recommend you also use a heat gun or blow dryer to install. I did not and have a lot of bubbles. I bought 3m Scotch guard pro from Invisiblemask.com

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
The end result came out pretty good. Don’t even notice them. It took a woman’s touch (smaller, pointier fingers) to get the finer points on the edges. I recommend you start on the outer side, towards the body, of the headlight and push all the bubbles towards the center. I did them in the comfort of my A/C with the headlights off the car but I can imagine it would be back breaking and sweaty work outside. All in all I recommend them 👍