GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Headlight Options

AzteCypher

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Whoa... the Golf R Euro headlights are $1200??? They look nice but at that price, I'm not so sure they're that nice.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
Whoa... the Golf R Euro headlights are $1200??? They look nice but at that price, I'm not so sure they're that nice.
you know the US assemblies are similarly priced right? (gti pictured, but close enough)
1686247388687.png

AzteCypher

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Yikes! I wasn't aware. Well.. given that info I can see why one would choose the Euro version. Learn something new every day.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
How are the euro lights better? Pardon my ignorance
As others have said, minor differences, mostly aesthetic. R uses two DRL modules vs one for the GTI. Has the double U look, no amber markers, and costs roughly the same as replacing your current LP lights.

Almost went euro R when retrofitting LP. Ended up doing Osrams as they were cheaper in the long run.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Yeah there's no way I'm willing to pay the premium on those new ones for her car. I highly doubt she wants to as well. I'll look at the other options provided, see what I can do to at least improve them a bit.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
Yeah there's no way I'm willing to pay the premium on those new ones for her car. I highly doubt she wants to as well. I'll look at the other options provided, see what I can do to at least improve them a bit.
honestly, i'd give it a go at the polish first. yeah it won't be perfect, but it should be a significant improvement. and then if not, i'd be ebaying a new set of gently used OEMs.

Reactions: krs

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
As others have said, minor differences, mostly aesthetic. R uses two DRL modules vs one for the GTI. Has the double U look, no amber markers, and costs roughly the same as replacing your current LP lights.

Almost went euro R when retrofitting LP. Ended up doing Osrams as they were cheaper in the long run.
No amber markers would be neat, depending on car color

cb1111

7 years ownership and zero problems thus far.
Like I said - it depends on the inspection sites and your state.

Years ago (not sure if it is still that way), PA used to fail cars if the side marker lights weren't correct. Other states check for other lighting issues.

Technically and legally, you cannot swap one type of lighting system for another - so no xenon for halogen, LED or xenon for halogen, LED for halogen etc.

But, as always, YMMV

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Like I said - it depends on the inspection sites and your state.

Years ago (not sure if it is still that way), PA used to fail cars if the side marker lights weren't correct. Other states check for other lighting issues.

Technically and legally, you cannot swap one type of lighting system for another - so no xenon for halogen, LED or xenon for halogen, LED for halogen etc.

But, as always, YMMV
This is where I'm at, I have to know someone personally to avoid having to swap lights around for every inspection. It's a shame, the stock halogens are downright unsafe and the DRLs wrap around adequately to be usable. I'm tempted to put a small piece of amber tint on the lens to create an amber marker for inspections, if it becomes an issue.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
I like the inspection station I go to. They check your headlights, tailights, turn signal, reverse, tire tread, windshield and wipers, and then send you on your way.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
I like the inspection station I go to. They check your headlights, tailights, turn signal, reverse, tire tread, windshield and wipers, and then send you on your way.
Ours has a fully automated/DIY option: drive up to a little kiosk in the parking lot of a rec center, enter your VIN, plug the OBD scanner in, let it do its thing, then take the print out and drive off. Literally no human looks at the car at any point (and fwiw my car passed fine and I have coded out all the amber/tail side marker lights.)