Car(s)
7.5 GTI
that sucks........please keep us updated with what is found

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
Fingers crossed it all turns out okay, really sorry to hear

BTW I'm jealous of your OEM digital dash, I keep vascilating between an aliexpress unit and OEM...did the dealer give you a hard time about coding it? Does having nav in the cluster necessitate MIB2.5 or did you still have that with MIB2?

HawkeAssault

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 GTI, '92 Corrado
Fingers crossed it all turns out okay, really sorry to hear

BTW I'm jealous of your OEM digital dash, I keep vascilating between an aliexpress unit and OEM...did the dealer give you a hard time about coding it? Does having nav in the cluster necessitate MIB2.5 or did you still have that with MIB2?
Appreciate it.

The OEM cluster was sort of a pain to get in. Luckily the dealership closest to me at the time was willing to work it. I called all the VW dealers in the Phoenix area, and the Avondale one was the only one that said “we can try it”. And they did it in less than an hour and a half. The tech that did it said he’d be able to do it in under and hour now that he knows how to do it.

Realistically it’s the same process if your original cluster went bad and you got a replacement put it, digital or not.

The only caveat now is I believe all instrument cluster swaps need approval through VW it self? I’m not certain but that’s what I’ve been reading occasionally.

As for the maps, my MIB2 unit was a hacked EU unit so I had maps display in both cluster and radio screen simultaneously. But if you have a regular MIB2 I believe it will only show up in one at a time.

My MIB2.5 came out of an Audi I believe and was an American unit, so it was reflashed by a user here and sold to me. The MIB2.5 can natively display maps on both cluster and radio at the same time. It’s kinda a gimmick but I still love having the maps in the cluster.
I just wish when I had CarPlay running with Waze or Google maps it didn’t disable it in the cluster. I’m going to need to try the MIB toolbox to attempt to disable the flag that does that

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
Appreciate it.

The OEM cluster was sort of a pain to get in. Luckily the dealership closest to me at the time was willing to work it. I called all the VW dealers in the Phoenix area, and the Avondale one was the only one that said “we can try it”. And they did it in less than an hour and a half. The tech that did it said he’d be able to do it in under and hour now that he knows how to do it.

Realistically it’s the same process if your original cluster went bad and you got a replacement put it, digital or not.

The only caveat now is I believe all instrument cluster swaps need approval through VW it self? I’m not certain but that’s what I’ve been reading occasionally.

As for the maps, my MIB2 unit was a hacked EU unit so I had maps display in both cluster and radio screen simultaneously. But if you have a regular MIB2 I believe it will only show up in one at a time.

My MIB2.5 came out of an Audi I believe and was an American unit, so it was reflashed by a user here and sold to me. The MIB2.5 can natively display maps on both cluster and radio at the same time. It’s kinda a gimmick but I still love having the maps in the cluster.
I just wish when I had CarPlay running with Waze or Google maps it didn’t disable it in the cluster. I’m going to need to try the MIB toolbox to attempt to disable the flag that does that
Sounds similar to the experience I had swapping a used S4 cluster into my A4. I worked at the dealership and the SA still gave me a hard time (she was convinced it wasn't possible) so I confirmed with the tech it was (in this case all i needed was CP removal) and they hesitantly agreed to do it.

I guess If I decide to pursue further I'll have to call around before ordering

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Sounds similar to the experience I had swapping a used S4 cluster into my A4. I worked at the dealership and the SA still gave me a hard time (she was convinced it wasn't possible) so I confirmed with the tech it was (in this case all i needed was CP removal) and they hesitantly agreed to do it.

I guess If I decide to pursue further I'll have to call around before ordering
They are getting weird-er about used clusters. They obviously can't get to a point where they won't authorize new clusters. From what some of the retrofit folks have told me it's just a matter of getting pre-authorization but they have not been seeing those requests denied. If you end up picking up a new cluster make sure they adapt the mileage. If you get a used with one fewer miles than your car (or a new one and they don't adapt the mileage) I have a bench setup that can run the mileage up to match.

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
They are getting weird-er about used clusters. They obviously can't get to a point where they won't authorize new clusters. From what some of the retrofit folks have told me it's just a matter of getting pre-authorization but they have not been seeing those requests denied. If you end up picking up a new cluster make sure they adapt the mileage. If you get a used with one fewer miles than your car (or a new one and they don't adapt the mileage) I have a bench setup that can run the mileage up to match.
The bench setup is clutch! on my A4 I bought one with higher miles than the car, and put it in my trunk with the necessary tools to swap it. When my actual mileage matched the new clusters mileage, I literally pulled over and swapped it on the side of the road haha.

Righteousness

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 Sportswagen
View attachment 298628

So I took my car in yesterday for a carbon cleaning and oil change.

Drove it from the shop to my apartment and from my apartment to work today.

Returning from work my transmission felt weird and I lost power.
EPC light and CEL came on and I had no power steering or brakes and had to push the car to the gas station to wait 3 hours for AAA.

I did a scan with OBD11 and it said misfire in cylinder 3.
So I’m not really sure what to do and I’m really sad my car is hurt.

Going to be contacting the shop that did my carbon cleaning and oil change ASAP tomorrow morning.
I really do hope for a positive outcome… I know the position you’re in. Keep us updated!

HawkeAssault

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 GTI, '92 Corrado
Update; towed it back to the shop and the main guy has remained very nice and professional the whole time.

Looks like I’ll be hearing from them tomorrow hopefully for some kind of update

HawkeAssault

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 GTI, '92 Corrado
Update, have the car back.

Evidently injector 3 got stuck in the open position. So they had to flush all the oil again and replace the injector. Just drove it home and it feels alright.

So crisis averted and the shop did it all out of pocket.