GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Having Car Driven In From One Dealer To Another

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
As I shop for my 2021 GTI, the models that I'd prefer are at Dealers between 100 and 175 Miles distant. The local Dealer I've been working with has been excellent and they're checking into a swap with the distant Dealers. They've been so helpful and I'd rather work with them than phoning the distant Dealers to cut another deal.

What do y'all think about driving a new car this distance? I'm old skool, and have always followed the owner's manual for engine break in. I can't think of anything worse than a constant-speed Interstate blast for two hours straight, but am interested in your thoughts. I might too inquire about having the car trucked in. Thanks!

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Purchased my 17 GTI from a dealer 250 miles from my home. They drove it down with a driver that had worked for them, so I believe he knew what to do. I have had no problems with the car in over 4 years. I don't believe that a short trip of 175 miles will do any damage. If you think it will tell them not to you cruise control and to follow the VW break in guidelines. It is still under warranty anyway even though no one wants to go through that hassle if something is damaged.

uvasteven

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI
My car had 200 miles on it when I bought it and the sticker had a different dealer on it. I'm assuming it was hooned down 95 in the transfer. I got a good deal and haven't had an issue.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
My car had 200 miles on it when I bought it and the sticker had a different dealer on it. I'm assuming it was hooned down 95 in the transfer. I got a good deal and haven't had an issue.
Same, mine was from a dealer about 200 miles away, I haven't had any issues. Amusingly, after buying it, I now live about 15 miles from the original dealer. Frankly, if you want a manual, I suspect that most cars are swapped from other dealers, inventory for manuals has been low both times I've bought one.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
All my brand new ones except my current GTI had less than 20 miles on the clock during delivery.

When i was in the market for my 2019, i didnt want to compromise on the color and options. My dealer was able to find a vehicle 125 miles away from them while honoring their price and i confirmed the deal after thinking for a while. I asked my sales guy (from whom i bought both my GTIs) to be extra careful while driving it from the other dealer.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Hopefully some flat brim vape bro lot boy isn't recruited for the drive.. doing clutch drops, speed shifts, getting it up on 2 wheels around corners, etc.

Would it be feasible for them to let you get a ride to the other dealership and ferry it back yourself? At that distance that would be my preference if I'm in your shoes.

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks y'all. If we're able to strike a deal, I'd love to be able to drive it between the Dealers myself, but I'll bet they wouldn't permit it with insurance limitations and all. Sounds like I'm probably worried about nothing, but Kevin's image of a "flat brim vape bro lot boy" is my concern.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Just drop into 5th from 6th and back again every now and then while you vary your speed a bit and you'll be fine. Most new cars i've owned have unfortunately needed to instantly go on longish commutes. Just alternate your gears so you're not just sitting in 6th the whole time.

Edit: I say 6th, but the 21 might have the 7spd? Who knows.. but you get what i'm saying. Drop from your cruising gear into the one below and alternate between them.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Usually it's older/retired people that do these dealer transfers for the dealers for just something to do as a job/hobby

They won't let you drive or do it either, btw. Since their employee/driver has to give a check and/or trade cars with the other dealer.

I wouldn't sweat it whatsoever. Cars get dealer traded ALL the time.
This right here is accurate. The retired people have the flexible schedules in order to do these long runs. So they can be called in as they need them and let the lot boy destroy their current inventory. Sales does not want to risk a deal and let it hinge on the aforementioned “flat brim vaper”.

I have only seen retired people do the swaps and when one of them has had an accident, they happen, they usually don’t get called again.

good luck with it.

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
Usually it's older/retired people that do these dealer transfers for the dealers for just something to do as a job/hobby

They won't let you drive or do it either, btw. Since their employee/driver has to give a check and/or trade cars with the other dealer.

I wouldn't sweat it whatsoever. Cars get dealer traded ALL the time.

Interesting that you mention that, as the Dealer said the same for their driver guy. And I'd feel more confident that he'd know how to drive a manual transmission. :)