GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Having Car Driven In From One Dealer To Another

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
We're a two Golf family now, with a '17 and '21. Seems kind of nuts to have done so, but we know a good thing when we see it. :giggle:

View attachment 204807

Wish I could get my wife on board with this as we start looking for her new car. She's vetoed a 2nd vw of any kind. Says my enthusiasm for the brand is too much and one is plenty.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Wish I could get my wife on board with this as we start looking for her new car. She's vetoed a 2nd vw of any kind. Says my enthusiasm for the brand is too much and one is plenty.
I feel like I've gone too far. The wife's changing from a Q5 to an ID4, I'm really not this brand loyal.

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
I was actually kind of surprised when my wife was so supportive of my decision to buy a GTI when she owns a Golf. As I weighed whether to go with the DSG or 6-Speed, it was apparent that she was an fan of the 6-Speed and it's what I chose after test driving both. She's younger than I, so it seems she has her eye on my GTI to become her car when my age calls me into something more sedate. I'm okay with this actually, though I hope it's many years off. :cool:

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I was actually kind of surprised when my wife was so supportive of my decision to buy a GTI when she owns a Golf. As I weighed whether to go with the DSG or 6-Speed, it was apparent that she was an fan of the 6-Speed and it's what I chose after test driving both. She's younger than I, so it seems she has her eye on my GTI to become her car when my age calls me into something more sedate. I'm okay with this actually, though I hope it's many years off. :cool:

You are a lucky man, 2 great cars in the garage & married to a wonderful woman. (y)

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Would love a q5 but I need something under 175 inches long or getting it into the garage is problematic.
That's our beef with it. It's too big. Shame they don't offer an S Q3 or especially the RS Q3 here, it would have been the easy choice. Although both the Q4 ans ID4 are around 180".

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
Would love a q5 but I need something under 175 inches long or getting it into the garage is problematic.

I'm glad to see that there are others who care about the practical side of vehicle ownership. I too carefully consider length. It's why I bought my mid-sizer Nissan Frontier in '06 and our Golfs.

Years ago my commute took me past a house with a carefully garaged Chevy S-10. One day the S-10 was gone and replaced with a shiny new Silverado .... garaged, but with its back end extending outside. The garage door couldn't be closed. This lasted a month, when the Silverado disappeared and a newer, garageable Chevy Colorado was seen. An expensive mistake was made no doubt.

Last edited:

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
That's our beef with it. It's too big. Shame they don't offer an S Q3 or especially the RS Q3 here, it would have been the easy choice. Although both the Q4 ans ID4 are around 180".

Amen on that. I watch a show on MotorTrend TV called Auto Mundial (Auto World) that's produced in Europe and it frustrates me to see the number of excellent cars sold elsewhere that we can't get in North America. Alternatively, if I could shrink a select number of U.S. vehicles down to 3/4 size, I'd have more to choose from. :giggle:

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Amen on that. I watch a show on MotorTrend TV called Auto Mundial (Auto World) that's produced in Europe and it frustrates me to see the number of excellent cars sold elsewhere that we can't get in North America. Alternatively, if I could shrink a select number of U.S. vehicles down to 3/4 size, I'd have more to choose from. :giggle:
Yeah, I grew up spending time in London and then got one of my first jobs in Frankfurt. I love tiny cars, and I'm 6'2". I really wanted a Mini this time around, but waited too long, the F56 is a terrible car with terrible motors. The R series cars were so much better to drive.

My wife is coming to realize that smaller, lighter cars are just more fun, and that we don't need a large car for our dog or kid. We had the original X1 with the S55 six and a JB4, but it got totaled by some kids in a stolen car and we just haven't found a suitable replacement. I lobbied hard for an SQ5 last time, but she wanted the fluff that came with a loaded up Q5. I think she realized that I had the better idea pretty quickly. I wish I could get her back to cars, but she's 5'3" and likes the tall driving position. If the Polestar 2 wasn't violently ugly, it would probably work.

I'd kill for a 5/8 scale Mustang GT350. I wanted to like that car, but it's just a stupid size. That motor in a BRZ would be about perfect.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
Yeah, I grew up spending time in London and then got one of my first jobs in Frankfurt. I love tiny cars, and I'm 6'2". I really wanted a Mini this time around, but waited too long, the F56 is a terrible car with terrible motors. The R series cars were so much better to drive.

My wife is coming to realize that smaller, lighter cars are just more fun, and that we don't need a large car for our dog or kid. We had the original X1 with the S55 six and a JB4, but it got totaled by some kids in a stolen car and we just haven't found a suitable replacement. I lobbied hard for an SQ5 last time, but she wanted the fluff that came with a loaded up Q5. I think she realized that I had the better idea pretty quickly. I wish I could get her back to cars, but she's 5'3" and likes the tall driving position. If the Polestar 2 wasn't violently ugly, it would probably work.

I'd kill for a 5/8 scale Mustang GT350. I wanted to like that car, but it's just a stupid size. That motor in a BRZ would be about perfect.

LS Swapped Miata?

My issue is we need a small SUV but my wife loathes crossovers and wants something boxy (she's been driving an 01 escape since 2001) so our options are basically an xc40, bronco sport, an x1 or the new merc glb and we definitely aren't getting the merc. Hoping the Broncos have mucho depreciation and and some used ones are affordable later this year since I won't get a 3 cylinder and wont pay damn near 40k for a compact ford suv. Test drove one with a sticker of like 38.5. I got my new R last year for 39 and the R is so much more car.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
LS Swapped Miata?

My issue is we need a small SUV but my wife loathes crossovers and wants something boxy (she's been driving an 01 escape since 2001) so our options are basically an xc40, bronco sport, an x1 or the new merc glb and we definitely aren't getting the merc. Hoping the Broncos have mucho depreciation and and some used ones are affordable later this year since I won't get a 3 cylinder and wont pay damn near 40k for a compact ford suv. Test drove one with a sticker of like 38.5. I got my new R last year for 39 and the R is so much more car.
I saw a Bronco Sport the other day, much better than I expected. You can get them with torque vectoring, unlike your R, see, it's not all bad! But the VW is a great deal, no matter how you cut it.

Stay far away from the X1, like the Mini, it's just a terrible, fwd platform. We owned a bunch of BMW's before leaving for VW and Audi and the current BMW's outside of the M2 are just awful, especially the sad fwd based ones.

And yeah, I'd rather an ND (even stock) than a BRZ, but need a back seat. At least in theory, I've been giving more thought to getting a two seater as a weekend/work car and letting the GTI become the kid transport.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
I saw a Bronco Sport the other day, much better than I expected. You can get them with torque vectoring, unlike your R, see, it's not all bad! But the VW is a great deal, no matter how you cut it.

Stay far away from the X1, like the Mini, it's just a terrible, fwd platform. We owned a bunch of BMW's before leaving for VW and Audi and the current BMW's outside of the M2 are just awful, especially the sad fwd based ones.

And yeah, I'd rather an ND (even stock) than a BRZ, but need a back seat. At least in theory, I've been giving more thought to getting a two seater as a weekend/work car and letting the GTI become the kid transport.

Depending on the age of your kids/budget, get a 996 Turbo. It's almost 2 feet shorter than the gt350 (its the same length as a gti). Prices are still relatively low but the depreciation curve has bottomed out and they're creeping up. My buddy picked one up a couple years ago. He has a 5 and 9 year old, both fit in the back. Thing is a beast, and they're bulletproof.

It's unlikely we end up in anything other than the Bronco Sport unless Ford runs into production issues that keeps supply low and prices high. We drove both motors, the badlands is nice with all the options and the 4 cylinder has enough umph. The 3 cylinder is roooough, ad slow. It's definitely unique and basically the modern version of my wife's escape so she likes it.

We aren't in the market yet. Will need it very end of the year if we are lucky and have a kid, so being able to hose it out and stuff is great after seeing my nieces destroyed my sisters car when they were babies. Hoping to get a badlands w leather for closer to 30, sub 30 if possible.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Depending on the age of your kids/budget, get a 996 Turbo. It's almost 2 feet shorter than the gt350 (its the same length as a gti). Prices are still relatively low but the depreciation curve has bottomed out and they're creeping up. My buddy picked one up a couple years ago. He has a 5 and 9 year old, both fit in the back. Thing is a beast, and they're bulletproof.

It's unlikely we end up in anything other than the Bronco Sport unless Ford runs into production issues that keeps supply low and prices high. We drove both motors, the badlands is nice with all the options and the 4 cylinder has enough umph. The 3 cylinder is roooough, ad slow. It's definitely unique and basically the modern version of my wife's escape so she likes it.

We aren't in the market yet. Will need it very end of the year if we are lucky and have a kid, so being able to hose it out and stuff is great after seeing my nieces destroyed my sisters car when they were babies. Hoping to get a badlands w leather for closer to 30, sub 30 if possible.
I had been looking at 997.2 GTS's but ultimately don't want something that old as a primary car (I had my M Coupe for 14 years.) Not a fan of awd or the Turbo though. Also don't really like the size of the 991 or especially the 992. I'd love a Singer, but that's silly money. The Singer did replace the Ferrari 550/575 manual that I had been using as my "win the lotto" or "the kid picked in state college" acquisition though. It's a weird world between needing an only car and having a second car to supplement the GTI. That opens up an ND Miata, a Caterham or something stupid like an Alfa Romeo GTV or BMW 2002.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
I had been looking at 997.2 GTS's but ultimately don't want something that old as a primary car. Not a fan of awd or the Turbo though. Also don't really like the size of the 991 or especially the 992. I'd love a Singer, but that's silly money. The Singer did replace the Ferrari 550/575 manual that I had been using as my "win the lotto" or "the kid picked in state college" acquisition though. It's a weird world between needing an only car and having a second car to supplement the GTI. That opens up an ND Miata, a Caterham or something stupid like an Alfa Romeo GTV or BMW 2002.

You can remove the front driveshaft from their awd cars to make them rwd, common mod. He did it on his 996.

Sounds like you have some nice budget to play with. 400z might fit the niche you're looking at whenever it shows up. I got my R expecting it to be the family/only car and then my wife let me know after the fact she still wanted to replace her car with a new suv instead of just having one vehicle. Would have gone a verrrry different direction if I'd know the R didn't need to multitask.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
You can remove the front driveshaft from their awd cars to make them rwd, common mod. He did it on his 996.

Sounds like you have some nice budget to play with. 400z might fit the niche you're looking at whenever it shows up. I got my R expecting it to be the family/only car and then my wife let me know after the fact she still wanted to replace her car with a new suv instead of just having one vehicle. Would have gone a verrrry different direction if I'd know the R didn't need to multitask.
Yeah, we played the one car game for a little while, it's pretty nice. We honestly rarely use the wife's car and even less so now. I kind of like the simplicity of the GTI and don't really miss having a more expensive car. I think I'll likely get a Mk8 R just to have one more go at a manual new car before that becomes tricky. But I have been giving more thought to a third car as more of a play thing, especially as the R would anchor the kid hauler role pretty well. I work 200 miles from home, but only have to do that drive once a month or so, but that does make a Caterham or similar a little impractical for that role, but it would be ideal for local roads.

Funny, just noticed you're in Chicago. We nearly moved up there a few months ago for the wife's work. We would have been right back in the single car discussion if we'd done that.