GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Have you had pendulum mount issues?

Have you had pendulum/dogbone mount issues?

• No, I have a dogbone insert and have no issues.

Votes: 34 66.7%
  • No, I have a pendulum mount + dogbone insert and have no issues.

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • No, I have a pendulum mount and no dogbone insert, and have no issues

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Yes, I have a pendulum mount and no dogbone insert, and have had issues with it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I have a pendulum mount and a dogbone insert, and have had issues with it.

Votes: 3 5.9%

• Total voters

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
So, my life is a joke.

I got a new DSG in July because the housing had sheered due to my Roc-Euro Stabilizer Bar's bolts backing out and allowing enough movement to crack the casing. I had had the part installed at a very reputable shop in North Jersey, one that gets raving reviews from people on the forums.

I then went to a different tuning shop, a different one in Delaware with a very good reputation for good work, and installed the APR pendulum bar + APR Insert along with my new DSG.

I am now in the same position. The bolts backed out, and I need a 2nd new DSG in less than 4 months.

Has anyone else had issues like this? Do these come with instructions to use loctite, and the people I'm paying $100+ /hr labor are not following them? At this point I'm looking at nearly 6K invested in keeping my 2015 GTI S in working condition.

Yes, pay to play. But my car is otherwise stock, as in bone stock power, no flash tune/piggyback of any sort. The only mods I have are lightweight wheels, tires, and engine/trans mounts. literally, that is all. Why the fuck is this happening to me? It's just beyond my comprehension. I don't really believe in the concept of luck but i'm beginning to feel like there is a dark cloud over my head.

Excuse the sob story.

DAS_STIG

Banned
I have the Revo puck replacement and no issue. Voted as dogbone insert + no issue.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I have the Revo puck replacement and no issue. Voted as dogbone insert + no issue.

Yeah, I'm getting the feeling that there's relatively little to gain from the pendulum mount and lots of added risk.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Holy crap. I cannot believe this happened again.

I put the revised bolt in the center mounting point of my Roc Euro arm and checked it when I changed tires yesterday, still tight as could be.

If I planned on ever doing 1/4 at the track I was going to switch over to the APR pendulum for peace of mind. I have used LC maybe three times since I got the car and it spins so hard in first there isn't much stress on the drivetrain anyways. I used Loctite the first time I installed the Roc Euro and when I changed the middle bolt out. If there is no blue on your threads they should be covering your broken shit.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Holy shit dude.

Hmmm, maybe there is something here. What was your DSG revision code before and after? Don't they have something like a 4 letter code and as they are revised get a different one? Is your 2015 an early build? Did you replace same code DSGs? I wonder if there is a difference between the DSG you have and others that are later revisions and this is causing the bolts to back out. Just spitballing here because this can't be coincidence......

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
My goodness. How is this not covered under the 5yr powertrain warranty? Especially since you're stock in terms of tune.

Can understand why they might deny the 2nd claim due to the dogbone mount (although you could just take it out before going to the dealer) but why wouldn't the first one be covered?

Unlike the manual, DSG is not a wear item. I would fight it with VW to the bitter end before paying anything.

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
Subbed as well. Almost bought the APR pendulum on Black Friday

My goodness. How is this not covered under the 5yr powertrain warranty? Especially since you're stock in terms of tune.

Can understand why they might deny the 2nd claim due to the dogbone mount (although you could just take it out before going to the dealer) but why wouldn't the first one be covered?

Unlike the manual, DSG is not a wear item. I would fight it with VW to the bitter end before paying anything.

The Roc-Euro Stabilizer is also a pendulum mount, and his bolts backed out of those like they did on his APR mount

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
Are you using the car for stunt driving on the weekends? Are you letting any 17 year old males take it out for joy rides?

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT

I put the revised bolt in the center mounting point of my Roc Euro arm and checked it when I changed tires yesterday, still tight as could be.

If I planned on ever doing 1/4 at the track I was going to switch over to the APR pendulum for peace of mind. I have used LC maybe three times since I got the car and it spins so hard in first there isn't much stress on the drivetrain anyways. I used Loctite the first time I installed the Roc Euro and when I changed the middle bolt out. If there is no blue on your threads they should be covering your broken shit.

I didn't even use LC ONCE since I got the new DSG lolololol. Literally not once.

slow12s

Ready to race!
sorry to hear about the issues you've been having...I have the APR pendulum and APR dogbone (car is a 6MT though) and installed it myself with loctite...I checked it about a month ago when I put my jb4 back on and the bolts were just as tight as when I installed it...I'd say I've had it on for about 5k miles

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Holy shit dude.

Hmmm, maybe there is something here. What was your DSG revision code before and after? Don't they have something like a 4 letter code and as they are revised get a different one? Is your 2015 an early build? Did you replace same code DSGs? I wonder if there is a difference between the DSG you have and others that are later revisions and this is causing the bolts to back out. Just spitballing here because this can't be coincidence......

So what I know is I needed a "QSP" code DSG to mate to my ECU. My car was built in June 2015, so a later build date, not earlier.

The common denominator here is the 034 engine/trans mounts that I had installed back in February. I'm thinking they have something to do with it all, since I've done a lot of reading on the install and it seems like there is a large margin for error in installation of these things. I think these are what's causing undue stress on the pendulum mount since they're not mounted properly.

So I need new engine/trans mounts as well as another new DSG.

I'm pretty jaded at this point, because the whole time I thought I was approaching modding with a reserved, cautious perspective focused on low-risk mods that are focused on driving experience, not adding max power etc.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get rid of the car and buy a beater buyback diesel and roll my negative equity into it and just drive it till the wheels fall off without ever modding it.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT

Yeah - I think this is the issue. And i should note that the service advisor who was the one who had initially diagnosed my first failed DSG was the one who I had install the new DSG and the APR parts, and I told him to MAKE FUCKING SURE that they install it PROPERLY, as I cannot afford this twice. And he was very understanding and assured me they would. I will repeat that this was Smith VW, a very highly praised tuner shop. People like RJ have gotten just about every bit of work on their cars done there.

Granted, I probably should've just left my shit stock at that point. But I just didn't imagine it happening twice, to me it feels like lightning striking twice.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT

I literally put the OEM dogbone back on when I took it into the dealer the first time, and I played dumb. and they basically just said outright that it was CLEAR that an aftermarket dogbone mount had been installed, albeit improperly, which led to the failure.

This time there's paper trail from a VW dealership that I had an aftermarket part installed along with the second transmission (which, by the way, was used from LKQ, so i didn't buy a brand new one direct from VW).