GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Have a pending trade-in deal on my MK7 GTI.. Would like some advice and opinion..

Lucky#Slevin

Go Kart Newbie
I just got home from the dealership and I have a deal in place on Monday to trade my 2017 VW GTI SE with 68k in for a 2022 Audi S3.. I’m getting $18k for my trade which I think is pretty good money.. Am I wrong in thinking that? what’s the true value of my car? What are guys getting for their cars? Anyone really familiar with current pricing?
The Audi S4 is a 2022 with 652 miles, virtually brand new car. the agreed upon purchase price is $44k. Is that a good price or an overpay?

What I really want an opinion on is this; is it shady to de-content my GTI? I feel like this is my stuff and I should just give them the stock car but they did give me decent money for my car. I have 18“ flow one F2 gunmetal wheels I can swap out for OEM Passat stock wheels w snows, I have a black whispbar roof rack, I have the MK 7.5 non dynamic NAR tails to swap, I have the MK 7.5 upgraded infotainment all glass 8” display.. Leyo paddles and knob rings.. Stuff like the rack and paddles knobs I’m taking for sure but the 8” infotainment headunit and tails I don’t think they would even realize is different.. but could they? Is it scummy to pull everything off now and come in there on Monday with a stripped down car? Like the wheels are noticeable change. Do they even care?? Could they be like whoa we are changing our value now for your trade. IDK I feel like it’s scummy and petty doing that but I can get some money for the parts.

Guys thoughts on the S4 appreciated also.

Last edited:

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
In general dealers dont care about the extra's you have on it. You could have forged wheels, race seats, full suspension etc.... and they'll give you the same price. That said $18K is pretty good. KBB trade in near me is $14-16K for a "good" condition 17 GTI SE. $44K for the 22 S4 sounds pretty good too.
I would swap it back to stock and send it.

nimonery

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 A3
OP Says S3 and S4 but there is no way in hell its a 22 S4 with that low miles for $44k it must be an S3, which seems like a decent deal depending on the trim. Premium or premium plus?

Regarding OP's question: yes put everything back to stock they will not give you a single cent more for anything thats "aftermarket upgrades".

Last edited:

Lucky#Slevin

Go Kart Newbie
In general dealers dont care about the extra's you have on it. You could have forged wheels, race seats, full suspension etc.... and they'll give you the same price. That said $18K is pretty good. KBB trade in near me is $14-16K for a "good" condition 17 GTI SE. $44K for the 22 S4 sounds pretty good too.
I would swap it back to stock and send it.
Ya I have been shopping for awhile and keep getting between 13k and my highest offer so far being the $18k.. I def. Agree w you just thought maybe I got the 18k for how my car looked to them.. but i guess they really dont GAF

Lucky#Slevin

Go Kart Newbie
OP Says S3 and S4 but there is no way in hell its a 22 S4 with that low miles for $44k it must be an S3, which seems like a decent deal depending on the trim. Premium or premium plus?

Regarding OP's question: yes put everything back to stock they will not give you a single cent more for anything thats "aftermarket upgrades".
Ya its a ‘22 S3 premium plus.. but minus some options i truly would want equipped.. no nappa cross stitched seats and no virtual cockpit.. i almost bought a ‘20 S4 with 21,000 miles but for 46k and only got 17k trade in value.. drove the S3 and was more fun faster.. but kinda liked S4 too.. still torn.. deal still pending completion

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I just got home from the dealership and I have a deal in place on Monday to trade my 2017 VW GTI SE with 68k in for a 2022 Audi S3.. I’m getting $18k for my trade which I think is pretty good money.. Am I wrong in thinking that? what’s the true value of my car? What are guys getting for their cars? Anyone really familiar with current pricing?
The Audi S4 is a 2022 with 652 miles, virtually brand new car. the agreed upon purchase price is $44k. Is that a good price or an overpay?

What I really want an opinion on is this; is it shady to de-content my GTI? I feel like this is my stuff and I should just give them the stock car but they did give me decent money for my car. I have 18“ flow one F2 gunmetal wheels I can swap out for OEM Passat stock wheels w snows, I have a black whispbar roof rack, I have the MK 7.5 non dynamic NAR tails to swap, I have the MK 7.5 upgraded infotainment all glass 8” display.. Leyo paddles and knob rings.. Stuff like the rack and paddles knobs I’m taking for sure but the 8” infotainment headunit and tails I don’t think they would even realize is different.. but could they? Is it scummy to pull everything off now and come in there on Monday with a stripped down car? Like the wheels are noticeable change. Do they even care?? Could they be like whoa we are changing our value now for your trade. IDK I feel like it’s scummy and petty doing that but I can get some money for the parts.

Guys thoughts on the S4 appreciated also.

It depends on the dealer. When I was looking at trading my GTI in about 18 months ago and going from dealer to dealer, one did make me an 'as-is' offer and a 'returned to stock' offer. So it is very possible that if you go back, they might be like "Woah, this isn't what we appraised". At the same time, they also might not give a crap. It's entirely dealer dependent.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
What I really want an opinion on is this; is it shady to de-content my GTI?
They have zero interest in the modified parts, the car is probably worth more to them stock. They're only thinking about how to rake you over the coals with the sell of the the S3.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
They have zero interest in the modified parts, the car is probably worth more to them stock. They're only thinking about how to rake you over the coals with the sell of the the S3.
You mean..... the "S4" you just bought? 😂

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Your major changes are the tails and infotainment? (aside from the wheels)
Yeah, I doubt they would notice or care.
I'd leave them.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I would have removed stuff before taking it in. I am not real sure if they'll notice and have mixed feelings about that. I would remove what's worth the time/effort/$ and mention to them casually that you removed the aftermarket parts. To those that say FU to dealers consider this....if you were buying it would you pay the same for the car after all the goodies were taken off?

Mud

the 18K sounds like a good value unless they made it up on the purchase price of the other car

Last edited:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Car price doesn't sound bad. Seems like new, S3 premium plus going for $52k which this essentially is. Used with under 1000 miles is $45k. Now those are listed prices. What are people actually paying. No idea. But $42k doesn't sound bad.

Lucky#Slevin

Go Kart Newbie
Very true statement.. trying best to prevent that from happening.. tuff to get these prices to move anymore.. from my own personal experiences very hard to get these dealerships to come off there asking prices.. I used to get significant money off asking.. now they act like u just shot their dog by asking for $500 off asking..