GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Has anyone traded in a tuned Golf R?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aar1217

Passed Driver's Ed
When I traded in my Honda Accord recently the dealer had me sign paperwork regarding it's "expected remaining warranty." If you have a modded R, that should be under warranty, I assume disclosing the tune would greatly impact the dealers trade in value. I'm wondering if people are just flashing back to stock and not disclosing the tune (which is what I would likely do), but I wonder if the dealer would eventually come back and say you failed to disclose the TD1 flag.

AxMan

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
Audi S5
I traded in my tuned 2016 golf r, and my tuned 2017 Cayman recently with no issue. They didn’t even ask about the Cayman

The Waxer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
19 GolfR, 19 911 GTS
I traded in my 2013 stage 2+ R with KW coilovers and a downpipe and got no questions.

There's no way that car was going to pass the California smog test and they still sold the car a week later and said nothing to me.

aar1217

Passed Driver's Ed
I think a tune on an otherwise stock car is a little more unsuspecting.

I just wonder what legal issues could arise if the new owner goes after the dealership they just bought a used golf r from....

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
I bought a CPO TT and requested the dealer to put it in writing the car was not tuned. They gave the all clear.

Backtrack2015

Passed Driver's Ed
I'd disclose the tune and the impact on warranty (if applicable). It may or may not have any impact on the trade value (push for the value you want), but being totally honest should protect you from any legal claims.

Last edited:

Bdurrell

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 Z06
My 2017, with 7,500 miles, was traded in with an APR Stage1, 93 octane ECU & DSG tune.
Told the Chevrolet dealer about them and they said no problem.

The new owner contacted me a month later, through this forum, and told me that he had purchased my Golf R and said that he was happy with the tunes that I installed.

Wonder how he's enjoying them now...

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
Not a trade in but I sold my R outright to a vw dealer earlier this year. Former big turbo car that was returned to stock minus the clutch/short shifter. They didn't ask, I didn't volunteer it, and then they certified the car. New owner found me, I apparently left a couple business cards in the glovebox, and was less than pleased.

Last edited:

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Not a trade in but I sold my R outright to a vw dealer earlier this year. Former big turbo car that was returned to stock minus the clutch/short shifter. They didn't ask, I didn't volunteer it, and then they certified the car. New owner found me, I apparently left a couple business cards in the glovebox, and was less than pleased.

Not his business at that point. What the hell did he expect from you? I'd TD1 flag him... to the police.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Not his business at that point. What the hell did he expect from you? I'd TD1 flag him... to the police.

This isn’t illegal unless he is physically threatening or harassing him (calling 100 times, at 3am etc etc).

Just be aware, you might be liable in civil court if you fail to disclose the tune or TD1 when trading.

Lots of people have more time/money then sense and are willing to spend money to right a perceived wrong.

This is low odds but according to your states laws you might be liable for 2-3x damages including legal fees.

Again, to avoid issues it’s best to tell the dealer while trading.

Be an adult, take responsibility and be ethical.

Last edited:

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
I’d say lie and conceal the fact that you modified the car and thereby knowingly voided any remaining warranty. Especially if doing so ensures a higher grade value, I mean why would you leave money on the table?! Even if they don’t ask, I’m sure you won’t be liable for fraud by omission if you didn’t disclose what you know to have voided an otherwise remaining warranty.

What harm can be done, I mean, people commit fraud all the time.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R

This isn’t illegal unless he is physically threatening or harassing him (calling 100 times, at 3am etc etc).

Just be aware, you might be liable in civil court if you fail to disclose the tune or TD1 when trading.

Lots of people have more time/money then sense and are willing to spend money to right a perceived wrong.

This is low odds but according to your states laws you might be liable for 2-3x damages including legal fees.

Again, to avoid issues it’s best to tell the dealer while trading.

Be an adult, take responsibility and be ethical.

He wasn't unhappy with me, he was unhappy with the dealer because the car should not have been CPOd. Really nice guy, I helped him out where I could on trouble shooting a few recurring issues. Actually gave him a few small parts for the car I had laying around that I forgot to put back on prior to selling.

I'm not worried about any sort of liability, I went through all of the paperwork I signed and there are/were no required disclosures. The car was sold to them as-is. Had they asked, another dealer I spoke to did, I would have let them know. The dealer could have easily hooked the car up and checked for themselves, both prior to buying the car from me and prior to certifying it (I think VW 'requires' it for the latter).

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
I agree with the honesty policy. I'm currently at the dealer right now and made them aware the car was modified before I used the $99 alignment coupon. I always let them know what I've done before I discuss anything with them. The first time I brought the car in for 10K I told them it was tuned and the service manager then informed me he'd deny even warranty A/C work on a tuned car if he found out someone lied to him. Needless to say I passed the gom-jabbar.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
I agree with the honesty policy. I'm currently at the dealer right now and made them aware the car was modified before I used the $99 alignment coupon. I always let them know what I've done before I discuss anything with them. The first time I brought the car in for 10K I told them it was tuned and the service manager then informed me he'd deny even warranty A/C work on a tuned car if he found out someone lied to him. Needless to say I passed the gom-jabbar.

Service manager sounds like an asshole.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I dunno that the dealer really cares what you've done to your car. When I traded in my mk6 gti they made me sign something stating that I still had a cat converter. The sales manager literally said, if you did remove it I don't want to know about it. I signed it despite knowing there was no cat and the dealer knew my car was modified and that there was a highly likely chance it was gone. There wasn't even anything they did to verify it had a cat before I left.

Hell, I even signed over the mk6 to them and bought the new car on a saturday. I drove my mk6 home even though my name wasn't on it anymore and I spent my sunday putting some OEM parts back in. Monday morning I drove the gti back up there, and on the original tires that were at least 8-9 years old. I left my mk6 keys with the salesman and off I went. The mk6 was appraised with mods on it and they didn't even care to get a list of parts that I had planned on swapping back.

I think they just wanted to make the sale on the R bad enough that when it came to stuff like that they were just like yea go ahead do whatever you want. Granted, it was an older car that was definitely not going to be CPO'd. They didn't even attempt to sell it at their dealership, that thing got sent off to an auction I'm sure, so not quite the same scenario.

I tried telling them I replaced the tensioner and chain earlier this year too, it was a 2011 with about 80k miles, and they couldn't give a shit about that either.

Status
Not open for further replies.