GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Has anyone tinted their sunroof and had it crack?

nosmirk

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
7.5 DSG
I mean no disrespect I'm just genuinely curious. Why would you tint the sunroof if we have the screen? Is it purely to reflect heat? Does it make that much of a difference vs getting a UV tint on just the windows?
My screen basically opens on it's own after about 40 miles on the highway, so it's just about useless. I haven't tried the felt mod to keep it closed, so it stays open until i'm parked under direct sun or driving full open.

So for me, it's almost all about heat rejection and extra UV blocking. There is barely any tint, lumar ceramic 85 IIRC.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
My screen basically opens on it's own after about 40 miles on the highway, so it's just about useless. I haven't tried the felt mod to keep it closed, so it stays open until i'm parked under direct sun or driving full open.

So for me, it's almost all about heat rejection and extra UV blocking. There is barely any tint, lumar ceramic 85 IIRC.
I used a few layers of TESA tape, now it's hard to open, but much better than having it walk open all the time.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Just wanted to add to those mentioning tinting over an already tinted piece - Most factory "tinted" glass is really privacy/dyed glass that has no additional heat/UV reflection properties, it just makes the glass darker so it isn't a fish bowl. Which is why most, even SUV owners that normally have rear windows tinted from the factory, have ceramic put over them.

To add to the debate, local shop around here recommended if we tinted the sunroof to leave it cracked and not sealed when parked in the sun as they've seen a lot of sunroofs pop due to tinting and being closed. There are also some Vortex posts on people having their pano roof shatter while driving and most of them mention being tinted over the privacy tint. Unless you drive with the cover open but the glass closed where radiant heat would be a big issue I think you'd be fine not tinting.

I went Llumar IRX nano ceramic 15 around the back and 30 on the front with Air 80 on the windshield. Tin roof for me, but I can leave it parked in the direct sun in the summer and jump in and not be immediately sweating. It's warm, but not holy shit instant sweat dripping hot like it normally is.

Last edited:

bajaDean

Car(s)
mk4s TDI, MK7 TDI
it’s tinted but doesn’t actually have effective heat rejection for being a pano glass roof. I’m getting 99% rejection film over my pano eventually and wanna do 50% tint / 95% rejection on my windshield too, to round it all out (already have 20F/30R 95% rejection)
since you have had this on for a while, can you give us an update as to if you noticed a temp differnce. Thanks

bajaDean

Car(s)
mk4s TDI, MK7 TDI
In a different direction to cut the heat inside the car till I get some 98% high rejection IR clear as I can find I have done the following. Note I put a cover on the car when I park in direct sunlight. And in general only park in shade.

Since I bought my 2016 golf Sportwagon, i immediately found the heat in the car from the sunroof not acceptable in a hot climate. You could just put your hand near the window and near the liner and feel the heat passing into the car. I had some low cost solar film for home windows that was not real high efficiency of IR rejection and put that on and it made a slight differential and ordered a higher efficiency one that I have received but have to find time to get to an installer down here In baja sur. I found I need a pro to install it as my attempt worked but was not pro level. I only did one of the two panels for my test as I did not have enough material to do the two glass panels.

I had found posts that people were inserting insulation to cool the car down to fit between the liner and the glass. I tried various materials and most sagged into the retractable liner. I have found a very good product that stays in place without sagging so far. Only in for 2 weeks as of this date. It is also very reasonably priced. What I have also done is removed fuse 24 to prevent the opening and closing of the sunroof. I will remove this insulation when it is not summer. This took 10 minutes with 2 people to install. I could have used their velcro but that would take a bit more research to verify it does not interfere.

Camco makes this product for blocking the sun heat cold in windows for RVs at $28.00 for the 50x30 that I found fits great. https://www.amazon.com/Camco-45162-SunShield-Reflective-Window/dp/B003VASGWK

I also put on a short cover if I park in the sun, it just covers the top including all the windows. And generally I can find a shade spot in the first place.

Last edited:

R0dzilla7

Car(s)
2019 GTI SE
I had mine tinted as factory wasn’t good enough for my taste. My head no longer burns in the summer. My tint guy said nothing against tinting sunroof and he’s arguably one of the best in my area.

bajaDean

Car(s)
mk4s TDI, MK7 TDI
I had mine tinted as factory wasn’t good enough for my taste. My head no longer burns in the summer. My tint guy said nothing against tinting sunroof and he’s arguably one of the best in my area.
thank you so much for the testimonial...