GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Has anyone experienced intermittent misfires/stumbles?

armstrom

Passed Driver's Ed
I've now noticed on three different occasions (over the past 6mo or so) a very infrequent misfire. I've pulled codes with my VCDS and there's nothing stored related to a misfire. It manifests as either a slight hesitation or even sometimes a "bang" that sounds almost like driving over a loose metal grate/plate in the road. Not super loud like an obvious backfire. The last couple of times I've quickly glanced in my rear view and noticed apparent smoke. To me it looked white-ish but it's hard to say from a quick glance in the mirror. This always seems to occur when I give the car a bit more gas during cruise and it downshifts and comes up on boost. Subsequent attempts to recreate the problem deliberately don't show the issue.

Any thoughts? My car is bone stock, 41k miles. I've been considering installing an intercooler and going EQT stage 1 but want to make sure everything is running well in stock form before throwing mods at it. I may try to pull plugs this weekend. My car has also tended to burn a little bit of oil so I'm wondering if I'm getting some blowby that pools somewhere in the intake then when I open it up it gets sucked into the combustion chamber and causes a misfire.

Thanks!
-Matt

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Start with changing your spark plugs plus an oil change and then go from there. Don't bother with tuning unless your car is at 100% mechanical condition. Maintenance before mods

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
You're still a bit too early for spark plugs, they're changed at 60k. Might be worth swapping earlier, or at least pulling the current ones and inspecting.

What Tranny? At 40k I think you're due for DSG service, not sure about 6spd - I think that's 60kish?

Also are you PP with LSP diff? You should have had your Diff service done as well.

Could also be a coil pack gremlin, but you'd normally get codes with those.

Edit: Just saw this is under the R section. Have you had your Haldex serviced?
https://www.shopdap.com/blog/post/service-schedule-for-mk7-golf-r-2015-2016-2.html

armstrom

Passed Driver's Ed
No, I still need to do DSG and Haldex service. With the lockdown I've been avoiding going into the dealer. Unfortunately I don't have a level garage floor or driveway or I would just do both services myself :( I just did an oil change at 40k.
How would needing a haldex or DSG service result in a misfire with smoke?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
No, I still need to do DSG and Haldex service. With the lockdown I've been avoiding going into the dealer. Unfortunately I don't have a level garage floor or driveway or I would just do both services myself :( I just did an oil change at 40k.
How would needing a haldex or DSG service result in a misfire with smoke?

It wouldn't.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Check your spark plugs. Kind of difficult without any codes. What year? Under warranty? I would change spark plugs regardless.

armstrom

Passed Driver's Ed
Check your spark plugs. Kind of difficult without any codes. What year? Under warranty? I would change spark plugs regardless.
It's a 2016. I'm still under my CPO warranty but that has a $50/visit deductible. I may still have powertrain but that's cutting it close. I'll pull my plugs just to see how things look.
-Matt