GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Has anyone changed tunes to try alternatives?

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
glad you’re planning on leaving Uni behind. Just not a very engaging tune. I wouldn’t say my APR tune on my car drives “like stock except more power” as the stock tune sucks. It drives the way the stock tune ~should have~ except more power. That was my beef with my Uni tune on my GTI - it drove exactly like stock, with more power. That was an issue, as power isn’t really the issue on a car like a GTI with 260WTQ as early as like 2K RPM. The issue is DSG tune and throttle ramping/response, and my Uni Stage 1 ECU/TCU Did nothing for throttle or transmission shiftiness. Still stole power from me by shifting from 3rd to 4th @ 2K RPM, right as boost hit after the 2-3 shift...

it’s possible the 7.5 tunes are better, since they were made more recently. Mine was a 2015 GTI and for all I know the tune was the same one they released for the first MK7s way back then.
Nope. Not better. 7.5 stock tune just has way too much tq downlow for a fwd car. And tuned is about the same in terms of sensation. And the dsg tune from apr still limits tq but it’s a bit less aggressive in how it does it. Particularly second gear. As a result the problem kinda compounds. Hence why I think the bit of lag the is38 swap brings in helps

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
If I was doing it again I'd look very closely at the Malone Tune. My experience on the TDi has been amazing and they even have the option of disabling O2 sensors etc.. that other tuners don't offer.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Having tried a few platforms/tuners I will say that EQT's finished product is great, but their support/response times are pretty bad for what seemed to be a full-on shop, not just one guy. Switched to UM because I was able to get in for a full tune within the week, though the inability to change options or get their help with troubleshooting without killing at least a day driving to the dealer and back is a pain. I've got flex fuel though, and that's still vaporware on cobb/ecutek. If they finish that and the rest of racerom (UM doesn't have rolling antilag which would be fun) I might switch again, since I kept my dongle/license from EQT. Not sure who to go with, though Delicious or Titan both seem to have good reputations.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
If I was doing it again I'd look very closely at the Malone Tune. My experience on the TDi has been amazing and they even have the option of disabling O2 sensors etc.. that other tuners don't offer.

His gasoline tunes have been terrible and every single stage 2 and up tune disables the CEL from the after cat O2.

The primary O2 is needed to fuel the car...

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Can anyone chime in on COBB AP with EQT 91 OTS or stg1 custom etune vs APR plus/low torque ?
I can't remember their names but I've read a few posts from guys who switched to Cobb and EQT because APR wasn't doing stage 2 tunes and liked EQT better.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
I always wondered. How’s integrated engineering’s stage 1 and their dsg. Anyone have experience?

Can't speak to the Mk7, but I had IE on my MK6 R, and I had zero issues with it. I would have had no problems going back to IE for my MK7, but it already had a stage 1 EQT with AP when I bought it. IE's facility is nice, customer service was responsive, and they made some adjustments based on what I was asking for, and still kept it as a OTS tune.

Really I'd say it's about the relationship and what you get out of the vendor that's part of the package. Email both a question, see who's the most responsive. Of course before you send them money they can always act differently than when they have your cash. But seeing people say it's been weeks since they get there tune, that's pretty lame.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Can anyone chime in on COBB AP with EQT 91 OTS or stg1 custom etune vs APR plus/low torque ?
I vote EQT OTS stage 1. APR is a dead end now and I’d save the custom tuning for later down the road (stage 2 or big turbo/is38).

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
His gasoline tunes have been terrible and every single stage 2 and up tune disables the CEL from the after cat O2.

The primary O2 is needed to fuel the car...
I did not know that about the gas tunes - with malone you can disable the secondary o2 on S1 one as well, it looks like. But, good to know about the gas tunes.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I did not know that about the gas tunes - with malone you can disable the secondary o2 on S1 one as well, it looks like. But, good to know about the gas tunes.

Why would you want to disable the secondary O2 with the stock cat in place?

You've physically maintained emissions compliance, but caused your car to fail inspection for no performance gain. Makes no sense, that's why no one does it.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Why would you want to disable the secondary O2 with the stock cat in place?

You've physically maintained emissions compliance, but caused your car to fail inspection for no performance gain. Makes no sense, that's why no one does it.
If you want to go stage one with a DP and not get a CEL.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Can't speak to the Mk7, but I had IE on my MK6 R, and I had zero issues with it. I would have had no problems going back to IE for my MK7, but it already had a stage 1 EQT with AP when I bought it. IE's facility is nice, customer service was responsive, and they made some adjustments based on what I was asking for, and still kept it as a OTS tune.

Really I'd say it's about the relationship and what you get out of the vendor that's part of the package. Email both a question, see who's the most responsive. Of course before you send them money they can always act differently than when they have your cash. But seeing people say it's been weeks since they get there tune, that's pretty lame.
Good info thanks

Knifebright

Go Kart Newbie
This is an interesting thread.
I recently swapped from the Eurodyne 1.5 91 file to the adjustable file and have spent a few weeks dialing it in. I can run it at 91 octane on the slider with a few gallons of E85 (E27 specifically). I do need to try a new tank of California 91 once this one is gone and I was sitting at 89 octane on the slider.

I’ve been thinking about switching tunes to a pro tune from my shop but with adding a Cobb to the price tag it will probably be a moment.

Back to reading I go!