GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hammersticks' "Less Is More" MK7 GTI

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
DMFW clutch recommendations? I don't NEED a clutch yet (knock on wood) but I know it's a matter of time. I want something that confidently supports a stage 1 tune (EQT), has more pedal feel without being burdensome / annoying for a daily in traffic (I'm also pushing 50). I'll also be doing some occasional HPDE days.

I'm strongly considering the RSR Hybrid clutch. Ultimately looking for something refined, even if it costs a bit more. Rather get something I love vs. saving a few bucks only to be miserable due to significantly increase pedal effort, NVH, slipping, or other issues. I'll also be paying for labor so I want this to be a long-term solution.

Any input is appreciated. TIA!

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Wow that chart is awesome. Talk about doing some due diligence. Props to those guys.

That 17” set with the NT-05s looks amazing...
They are awesome. They really look to push the limit to see what's possible for an application, even if it means doing lower production runs. They have done a lot for the BMW community and hope to do the same for VW. (y)

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Not much of a shock but I naturally had to pledge on the APEX wheel front. 17's here I come... APEX is local to me and I've been helping them out with test fitments and hopefully a few other projects in the future. Only question is if I stick with one set or pony up for another dedicated for tracking. Storage of an extra set of wheels is the challenge with a lack of basements and minimal lot sizes here in the SF bay area. Having a dedicated set would definitely help me get to the track...but the storage issue is real.

https://support.apexraceparts.com/h...-Golf-GTI-and-Golf-R-Wheel-Tire-Fitment-Guide
Just have to get some of your kids crap out of the garage dude!

What about a shed in your backyard area?

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
Not much of a shock but I naturally had to pledge on the APEX wheel front. 17's here I come... APEX is local to me and I've been helping them out with test fitments and hopefully a few other projects in the future. Only question is if I stick with one set or pony up for another dedicated for tracking. Storage of an extra set of wheels is the challenge with a lack of basements and minimal lot sizes here in the SF bay area. Having a dedicated set would definitely help me get to the track...but the storage issue is real.

https://support.apexraceparts.com/h...-Golf-GTI-and-Golf-R-Wheel-Tire-Fitment-Guide

Congrats for sure. Thanks for helping out with the fitment and photos.

I pledged as well. I am trying to decide if I go with 17x9 vs. 18x9s. Running 255/35/18s right now, but on an 8.5" rim. Would be for 90% street with an occasional autocross in the future.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Congrats for sure. Thanks for helping out with the fitment and photos.

I pledged as well. I am trying to decide if I go with 17x9 vs. 18x9s. Running 255/35/18s right now, but on an 8.5" rim. Would be for 90% street with an occasional autocross in the future.
No worries. Happy to help. And awesome on pledging!
I just went 17x8.5. Tires patiently waiting in my garage.

Millsn

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf 7R
Just been reading this thread with interest. I pledged the apex 17x9s. Planning to mount the 255 40s when they arrive. Catch is the cars only a stock R. Ive not lowered it (I think I'll need to or it'll look bad) and it sounds like Ive got to run some camber. I may even need adjustable end links (it's only got std sway bars).

Any advice on choice of vendor for drop links and camber plates (I'm more interested in minimal nvh than performance).

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Just been reading this thread with interest. I pledged the apex 17x9s. Planning to mount the 255 40s when they arrive. Catch is the cars only a stock R. Ive not lowered it (I think I'll need to or it'll look bad) and it sounds like Ive got to run some camber. I may even need adjustable end links (it's only got std sway bars).

Any advice on choice of vendor for drop links and camber plates (I'm more interested in minimal nvh than performance).
“Only a stock R” lol. That is awesome. I love my GTI but if I had to do it all over again it would be with an R. Anyway, to answer your question I would strongly consider the EQT coilovers. They have adjustable damping and come with camber plates. Only thing is you will need to enlarge the strut mount tower holes, but you will probably want/need to do that with most camber plate setups anyway. As for endlinks, I still have stock front links but I will get the superpro ones soon. For the rear get the Moog endlinks.

Millsn

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf 7R
“Only a stock R” lol. That is awesome. I love my GTI but if I had to do it all over again it would be with an R. Anyway, to answer your question I would strongly consider the EQT coilovers. They have adjustable damping and come with camber plates. Only thing is you will need to enlarge the strut mount tower holes, but you will probably want/need to do that with most camber plate setups anyway. As for endlinks, I still have stock front links but I will get the superpro ones soon. For the rear get the Moog endlinks.
Thanks very much. Any experience with superpro/ whiteline lower control arms - how are they to drive / any fitting complications?

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Thanks very much. Any experience with superpro/ whiteline lower control arms - how are they to drive / any fitting complications?
I have the SuperPro 7k’s which are the original version of their current 18K LCAs. Both have+1 caster / -0.5 camber LCA’s, but the 7Ks were made with a wider arm back then. I haven't experienced nor purchased any whiteline products so I can't comment on those. If you are someone looking for the best and most out of your suspension, and cost is secondary (*more below on that), then I would strongly recommend the SuperPro arms and don't look back. Keep in mind I also have a front H&R sway bar too, but the LCAs provide more stability in the corners and add some weight to steering input without being overly burdensome to daily driving activities. (I feel extremely confident in my car's handling if that's worth anything.) As for the install, I recall the install taking a little patience and maneuvering but nothing overly complex/challenging.

*Regarding cost, I know some guys opt for getting just the bushings, but that's a sunk cost whereas I can just throw my stock LCAs and sell the SP units when the time comes. Plus no hassle of trying to fit poly bushings (I don't have a good vice setup so I had to go to a machine shop to fit bushings for the trailing arms). The full arms are definitely the way to go. With respect to SP vs. Whiteline, I have spent ~ 2 min looking into whiteline products but looks like guys have had success with other applications (subaru etc). I'm sure they are fine...but if I was getting the SP endlinks I'd just get the SP LCAs too. That's just me though.

Millsn

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf 7R
I have the SuperPro 7k’s which are the original version of their current 18K LCAs. Both have+1 caster / -0.5 camber LCA’s, but the 7Ks were made with a wider arm back then. I haven't experienced nor purchased any whiteline products so I can't comment on those. If you are someone looking for the best and most out of your suspension, and cost is secondary (*more below on that), then I would strongly recommend the SuperPro arms and don't look back. Keep in mind I also have a front H&R sway bar too, but the LCAs provide more stability in the corners and add some weight to steering input without being overly burdensome to daily driving activities. (I feel extremely confident in my car's handling if that's worth anything.) As for the install, I recall the install taking a little patience and maneuvering but nothing overly complex/challenging.

*Regarding cost, I know some guys opt for getting just the bushings, but that's a sunk cost whereas I can just throw my stock LCAs and sell the SP units when the time comes. Plus no hassle of trying to fit poly bushings (I don't have a good vice setup so I had to go to a machine shop to fit bushings for the trailing arms). The full arms are definitely the way to go. With respect to SP vs. Whiteline, I have spent ~ 2 min looking into whiteline products but looks like guys have had success with other applications (subaru etc). I'm sure they are fine...but if I was getting the SP endlinks I'd just get the SP LCAs too. That's just me though.
That's great. So good experience with the Superpro. I hadn't thought about possible used value but good point there too.

Calum.

Passed Driver's Ed
I just read this while thread. Thanks so much for sharing all of this information.

I'm here because I've been looking around at adding feel and reducing undetsteer while adding as little nvh as possible. So this seemed like the place for me.

What's funny is that as aligned as our goals are, I'm likely going to take a different approach, but thought I'd share my thoughts in an effort to compare notes and get your input.

First up, I want to maintain as much comfort as possible and I'm not worried about looks/lowering. In that regard I'm thinking of going to oem gti springs (mine is a 2 door manual tsi) or possibly oem r springs. This should get me a little more spring rate without much change in ride/nvh.

For dampers I'm thinking B6s. Lots of discussion about them, but given how light mine is and the ride height of either factory spring setup I think they would fit my goals really well.

Next up, adding camber. Because damn does this car need it. I'm thinking of Euro Sport street camber kit, along with Superflex adjustable camber bushing. The down side of this is no added caster, which after reading your response to the control arms has me wondering if it's the right approach. Did you notice any change in NVH with the added caster? Aside from the increased wheel weight which I think would be fine. Also, any thoughts on the camber kit?

Finally, I'm planning to leave sway bars for last. My thought is to use those to do any additional fine tuning of balance. But, if you had to do everything over again, would you leave the sways for last or do them earlier on?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I just read this while thread. Thanks so much for sharing all of this information.

I'm here because I've been looking around at adding feel and reducing undetsteer while adding as little nvh as possible. So this seemed like the place for me.

What's funny is that as aligned as our goals are, I'm likely going to take a different approach, but thought I'd share my thoughts in an effort to compare notes and get your input.

First up, I want to maintain as much comfort as possible and I'm not worried about looks/lowering. In that regard I'm thinking of going to oem gti springs (mine is a 2 door manual tsi) or possibly oem r springs. This should get me a little more spring rate without much change in ride/nvh.

For dampers I'm thinking B6s. Lots of discussion about them, but given how light mine is and the ride height of either factory spring setup I think they would fit my goals really well.

Next up, adding camber. Because damn does this car need it. I'm thinking of Euro Sport street camber kit, along with Superflex adjustable camber bushing. The down side of this is no added caster, which after reading your response to the control arms has me wondering if it's the right approach. Did you notice any change in NVH with the added caster? Aside from the increased wheel weight which I think would be fine. Also, any thoughts on the camber kit?

Finally, I'm planning to leave sway bars for last. My thought is to use those to do any additional fine tuning of balance. But, if you had to do everything over again, would you leave the sways for last or do them earlier on?
If you just want to eliminate understeer just get a rear sway bar. Leave the front swaybar stock. You can do all the things you said but the least expensive way to get rid of understeer is the RSB.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf

Agreed with jimlloyd if your main goals is reducing understeer. Since it's easy and relatively inexpensive, you may want to start with the rear bar and see if that gets you where you want to be. If you're set on GTI/R springs and B6's maybe consider a mild-ish rear bar (like SuperPro) so it doesn't feel out of whack (mild suspension with a big stiff bar would feel off).

As for more neg camber, I haven't had any experience except for the SuperPro plates and limited time with the EQT coilover kit (won't fit your car) so hard for me to comment but looks like the kit you're looking at has good reviews. I'd just want to make sure they are durable as it's a PITA job to replace. As for caster, negligible NVH with the SP LCA's. I am definitely a fan but don't expect game-changing camber with them (track time will still eat tires). The steering feel is great though.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Now on deck...

F63DCCC0-41C9-4B8C-9A90-63B0A9E9EE27.jpeg