GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hammersticks' "Less Is More" MK7 GTI

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Getting the Konis and OE sport installed next week! I know what most people recommend for trimming on the rear bump stops when running Koni Yellows, but did you trim the fronts at all?

Also, I saw in another thread that you hit the track on your current setup, would love to know your thoughts on this setup

Yes, I trimmed the front and rear bumpstops three years ago when I installed the Neuspeed Sports (trimming should be based on the spring vs. damper). Not sure if the fronts are required with these as they are short (heard they are okay as-is). Definitely trim the rears though as they are really long. I know some people cut the bottom section off below the plastic ring for sport springs. I trimmed the tops but I forget by how much.

(Edit: member JohnoBurr reached out to me as well as he has this setup. He was getting a bouncy ride and then had his installer trim just over an inch from the bottom of the rear bump stops and he said it feels great now. )

As for the track, yes, I went to Laguna Seca with it a few weeks ago and it didn't disappoint. Keep in mind I have various other mods and it was my first time tracking this car (2nd overall) so I can't give you technical details, but the car was very composed and I didn't feel like I was fighting it. From a spring and damper perspective, I didn't experience any excessive float. The car absorbed the bumps and settled back down quickly. There also wasn't any excessive rolling or squatting. It felt really controlled. That said, it's no Porsche, but hopefully nobody is expecting that from a hatchback. It definitely held its own though, and I don't anticipate changing anything my next time out, except increased tire pressure.

Really hoping you enjoy the setup.

Last edited:

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
Thought I'd report I got the work done today and it feels great! Unfortunately for me, it seems mine had dropped more front and rear than yours did. Still not too low but lower than I had wanted compared to your pics

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Thought I'd report I got the work done today and it feels great! Unfortunately for me, it seems mine had dropped more front and rear than yours did. Still not too low but lower than I had wanted compared to your pics

What are your center hub to fender measurements? Do you have a DSG, and what size tires do you have? I run a 235/40/18 so anything meatier than that will have less gap.

Glad to hear you like the feel though. That’s really the most important thing. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Golf7RR

Go Kart Newbie
Yes, I trimmed the front and rear bumpstops three years ago when I installed the Neuspeed Sports (trimming should be based on the spring vs. damper). Not sure if the fronts are required with these as they are short (heard they are okay as-is). Definitely trim the rears though as they are really long. I know some people cut the bottom section off below the plastic ring for sport springs. I trimmed the tops but I forget by how much.

Really hoping you enjoy the setup.

Hammersticks, great build thread. keep up the good work!! question, i will be installing the H&R FSB on my R . I already have the H&R RSB. but the front is adjustable, what setting did you go with on yours? not sure to go stiff or norm. (i know i can change later). car suspension otherwise is untouched. mainly street and might do an HPDE or two down the road..car is base model so no DCC if that matters. want to stiffen up the ride. looking to see your recommendation. thanks!!

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Hammersticks, great build thread. keep up the good work!! question, i will be installing the H&R FSB on my R . I already have the H&R RSB. but the front is adjustable, what setting did you go with on yours? not sure to go stiff or norm. (i know i can change later). car suspension otherwise is untouched. mainly street and might do an HPDE or two down the road..car is base model so no DCC if that matters. want to stiffen up the ride. looking to see your recommendation. thanks!!

Hey there, thanks! Nice choice on the H&R front sway. It really adds balance. I have never ridden in an R but I’d recommend going full soft. With the otherwise stock suspension you will likely still get some roll but the car will be more balanced at that setting, at least in my experience. I tried the middle setting up front (one side stiff, one side soft) but it invoked too much understeer when driven aggressively. That said, if you don’t push your car hard, the middle setting will give you a “flatter” feeling on the street. I ran it like that for a a number of months and it felt good, just too much fighting the wheel when pushed really hard at high speed. Definitely don’t go full firm.

It is easy to change, but I’d start at full soft and see what you think.

Enjoy!

Golf7RR

Go Kart Newbie
Hey there, thanks! Nice choice on the H&R front sway. It really adds balance. I have never ridden in an R but I’d recommend going full soft. With the otherwise stock suspension you will likely still get some roll but the car will be more balanced at that setting, at least in my experience. I tried the middle setting up front (one side stiff, one side soft) but it invoked too much understeer when driven aggressively. That said, if you don’t push your car hard, the middle setting will give you a “flatter” feeling on the street. I ran it like that for a a number of months and it felt good, just too much fighting the wheel when pushed really hard at high speed. Definitely don’t go full firm.

It is easy to change, but I’d start at full soft and see what you think.

Enjoy!

got it! thanks much!!

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
I haven't gotten around to doing actual measurements yet but funny enough, the rear has actually risen up rather than settle lower. Looks much more inline with yours. I did do rough measurements during my alignment but may be off but the front was aorund 13.25 and rear around 12.75. Rear camber was -2.5 before alignment so that may have made it look lower too. I have an auto trans (non-dsg) and am running 235/40/18.

Anyways, still loving the set up so far ���� I raised front damping to 1/2 turn and may try 3/4.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
I haven't gotten around to doing actual measurements yet but funny enough, the rear has actually risen up rather than settle lower. Looks much more inline with yours. I did do rough measurements during my alignment but may be off but the front was aorund 13.25 and rear around 12.75. Rear camber was -2.5 before alignment so that may have made it look lower too. I have an auto trans (non-dsg) and am running 235/40/18.

Anyways, still loving the set up so far ���� I raised front damping to 1/2 turn and may try 3/4.

What spring pads or spacers did you end up using on the rears?

As for the rear rising, it could be due to less gas in the tank? Definitely makes a difference.

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
What spring pads or spacers did you end up using on the rears?

As for the rear rising, it could be due to less gas in the tank? Definitely makes a difference.

I have had TT spring pads on since install (where rear was very low). still not sure what has made it rise but i seriously love the height now

20ls01

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI 2016
Wow you went through a lot of suspensions. I thought i was going to have trouble finding my perfect suspension but i nailed it and very happy with my kw street comforts. They ride beyond excellent and handles superb still!

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Wow you went through a lot of suspensions. I thought i was going to have trouble finding my perfect suspension but i nailed it and very happy with my kw street comforts. They ride beyond excellent and handles superb still!

Glad to hear it. And yes, I've been through a number of setups. Keep in mind I started years ago...when pretty much everyone was running VWR springs on stock shocks. Not much to go on :( (and I had zero interest in coils). Anyway sounds like guys are starting to run the street comfort kit and having success.

It would be great to hear more about it. I'm not in the market for coilovers, but would be good to hear more specifics on handling. I've heard it isn't really a track setup (as the name would imply) so any honest opinions on where it falls short would be helpful.

Perhaps we need a suspension setup comparison day here in the bay area. ;)

DrTWAxeman

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Thanks for all the work you've done! I read all your posts when planning my setup. Just installed a couple weeks ago and it has been fantastic. Happy to answer any questions folks may have.

2017 GTI Sport - 4D, 6spd
Neuspeed Sport Springs, Bilstein B8s, 034 strut mounts/ strut mount bearings, no TT pads

20ls01

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI 2016
Glad to hear it. And yes, I've been through a number of setups. Keep in mind I started years ago...when pretty much everyone was running VWR springs on stock shocks. Not much to go on :( (and I had zero interest in coils). Anyway sounds like guys are starting to run the street comfort kit and having success.

It would be great to hear more about it. I'm not in the market for coilovers, but would be good to hear more specifics on handling. I've heard it isn't really a track setup (as the name would imply) so any honest opinions on where it falls short would be helpful.

I think i may be the first or one of the first to try these on this forum. I couldn't find any reviews on them on the mk7 platform before buying mine.

You are right that these are a street focus suspension. I have them set at recommended dampening settings(about halfway on the adjustment scale) so i believe there is room to stiffen up the ride for more aggressive driving. What i really like about this suspension is that when you drive on twisties with shitty roads, the suspension just glides over it without all the drama(loud bangs you get with stiff suspensions) and stays very compose(doesnt lift you off your seat like stiff suspensions) on bumps. It turns a crappy twisty road into something that is more pleasant.

My previous cars were hondas were equipped with koni yellows/eibach coils and while it handled amazing, i never wanted to drive spiritedly on crappy roads with it. It wasn't pleasant.

DenaliTim

Another Bay Area dude here and the question I have is there any reason to change struts-shocks when adding lowering springs? Coming from 2 other cars with just springs and one of those cars had the magnetic suspension. I get the match the strut-shocks to springs but if the car is a daily and not x-cross, springs should be sufficient ?

Last edited:

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Thanks for all the work you've done! I read all your posts when planning my setup. Just installed a couple weeks ago and it has been fantastic. Happy to answer any questions folks may have.

2017 GTI Sport - 4D, 6spd

Neuspeed Sport Springs, Bilstein B8s, 034 strut mounts/ strut mount bearings, no TT pads

Awesome, glad to have helped and happy to hear it! I've heard other guys say the same about that setup. :)

I think i may be the first or one of the first to try these on this forum. I couldn't find any reviews on them on the mk7 platform before buying mine.

You are right that these are a street focus suspension. I have them set at recommended dampening settings(about halfway on the adjustment scale) so i believe there is room to stiffen up the ride for more aggressive driving. What i really like about this suspension is that when you drive on twisties with shitty roads, the suspension just glides over it without all the drama(loud bangs you get with stiff suspensions) and stays very compose(doesnt lift you off your seat like stiff suspensions) on bumps. It turns a crappy twisty road into something that is more pleasant.

My previous cars were hondas were equipped with koni yellows/eibach coils and while it handled amazing, i never wanted to drive spiritedly on crappy roads with it. It wasn't pleasant.

Ah, I see now you had the write up on that kit, and thanks for the additional info. Props for throwing down $1500 on an unknown. For the money it better be good, but still an unknown is an unknown, so kudos there. My previous car had yellows and eibachs and I LOVED it. Granted, that was many moons ago on a different platform, but yep, I can appreciate wanting something smoother.

Another Bay Area dude here and the question I have is there any reason to change struts-shocks when adding lowering springs? Coming from 2 other cars with just springs and one of those cars had the magnetic suspension. I get the match the strut-shocks to springs but if the car is a daily and not x-cross, springs should be sufficient ?

Bay area, nice :) Unless you have DCC, or are doing VW Driver Gear springs there are several advantages of going with aftermarket dampers/shocks. Mainly, they are built for it. They will perform better, B8's will be more comfortable (Koni yellows could be too but depends on the springs), and they have a lifetime warranty (original purchaser). It can also be cheaper if you are paying for labor and end up blowing out the stock Sachs units.

You may be fine for a while with stock, but again, really depends what you get. A lot of guys who previously ran VWR with stock shocks have come back to change it out because their car has become bouncy. Others say it's just fine.

For me, they are simply better products. Life is too short to have a crappy ride. Especially on our pathetic roads! ;)

Edit: here’s a Koni comparison for reference (yes sponsored by Koni but it’s accurate)

https://youtu.be/f0dWGWr4-Yo

Last edited: