GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hammersticks' "Less Is More" MK7 GTI

BrandonB00

Passed Driver's Ed
Love the Less is more thread. Mine Is a DD that will see over 20k miles a year so less is more is a perfect motto for me. awesome work finding that suspension setup.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Love the Less is more thread. Mine Is a DD that will see over 20k miles a year so less is more is a perfect motto for me. awesome work finding that suspension setup.

Thanks! Yeah, since it's a daily, and since I'm oldish, I didn't want to go too aggressive in any one direction. The suspension got nuts there for a bit, but I was on a mission. [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Sounds like a personal problem. [emoji14]

That said, I've had mine on for about a year now. So I'm starting to get a little worried. Alternatives outside of a full replacement mount?

Bwwwaaahhhaaaahhhaaaa!

Yep, the insert no longer just slid out. It wasn't bent too badly, but I had to gently pry it out with a small screwdriver.

It's been a few days now and I don't really notice much difference, except for much easier shifts from 1st to 2nd. [emoji1]

Maybe I'll get the itch to go with the full HPA setup in the future, but for now I'm enjoying the smoothness and lack of concern.

eurospek

Just finished watching Fast&Fu
Where did you get the black mirror caps from?

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
De-red'd a bit. I know the red badges means PP but I've never liked it. The body shop put the front chrome badge on after the accident and I did the rear. Also removed the side badges.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
After some more time with the H&R front bar I was getting more roll than I wanted. Moved it from the soft to middle (one stiff, one soft) setting. The small change is noticeable. I like it this way in conjunction with the rear and coils.

I am noticing some rubbing or something hitting in the front left portion of the suspension under heavy load (right hand downhill cloverleaf turn). Will investigate. May have to adjust the ride height some more and/or do the fender screw mod.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Took the boomba adapter off temporarily for an upcoming service appointment (evap suction pump recall). Not sure it was necessary but figured might as well. Can't believe how llllloooooooooooonnnnnnng the stock throws are. Less effort required, but very long and sloppy. Will definitely be putting the boomba back on asap.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
It took 10 weeks, but I FINALLY got the CSS muffler. Ordered from e-acca in Latvia. Did the DIY and then discovered the inlet pipe is 3/4" shorter than the OEM pipe when cut at the middle dimples. This caused the right side to be pulled in as I was having to push the inlet pipe in further. I had to back it out a bit and was able to get the muffler pretty straight and aligned...but it's not perfect, and I don't want a 1" gap within the clamp. I'm taking it to a local muffler shop this week to have them work their magic.

Anyway, aside from that, I really like it. It's not overbearing at all. Around town it sounds similar to stock with some more bass from the rear. At speed / on the highway you can hear just enough of the low tone to let you know it's there. I would recommend it for those looking for something subtle and stockish. I also think the tips are fantastic. 95mm.

Last edited:

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Put on a coat of chemical guys max coat wheel guard at 12k miles. We will see how works (or doesn't). The wheels are a year old now and still holding up great.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Don't worry about a 'gap' within the clamp if it's tight. ;)

Thanks B.B.! Yes, it doesn't appear to be leaking but thanks for the reassurance. Aside from the gap, the bigger thing for me is that the exhaust still askew and I want it to sit perfectly. I'm really having to fight it, unlike the stock muffler which simply hung straight on the hangers without any strain. Here's the right side. The rubber hanger is getting pulled toward the front of the car pretty significantly. I've tried various times to get the muffler situated. It is pretty good now but still not exactly where I want it. The muffler shop shouldn't charge me to much to fix it so I figure I might as well get it right.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
CSS update...it either got a bit louder than when initially installed, or I became more sensitive to the sound. I ended up posting it for sale after just a few hundred miles. It's too loud for me so I'm going back to stock. Unfortunately this was also after just having the alignment issue corrected at the muffler shop where they welded it to the resonator pipe with a small sleeve. It wasn't working with the clamp. Oh well, it was cheap, but sheesh, the timing of it all.

I still think the CSS muffler is a fantastic option for those who want more sound. I thought I did, but it was too much for me. After a couple other experiences on a different car, I have come to realize that I'm not cut out for exhaust sound / volume changes on my cars.

Here's a video I made of it though for historic reference! https://youtu.be/IkRYcMS76Qs

Pics of post muffler shop work:

Last edited:

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Also, I want to change the tips out on the stock exhaust. They are pathetically small with the 3" diameter, especially when compared to the CSS. I have been searching for something that looks like stock (rolled tip straight cut) but with a bigger diameter, either with a 3.5" or 3.75" outlet. It also needs to be short. No more than 5" long when it's all done. Picky I know...

I found these:

Magnaflow 35136...(maybe too wide): here

Gibson 500376 (maybe too long): here

Other suggestions?