GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Haldex vs Swaybars

tipper

Passed Driver's Ed
I recently bought an R32 and only want to do very minor mods to it and cannot lower it as it wont get in my driveway. I am happy with the car so far with the exception of one thing - it 'pushes' a bit too much when cornering and i would like to eliminate some of this understeer.

my 2 options are basically install a haldex upgrade (with switch for sport and race) or install new sway bars make it bias to oversteer slightly and encourage a little more front grip. the cost different will be about $2400 vs $600.

can anyone comment from their own experience how if the sway bars will give the result i am after? obviously this is preferable due to the lower cost.

or will i need to upgrade the haldex to get the result i am after?

Blitzen

Professional .....
The haldex can be found for 1000 (not sure if the switch is worth the money).
Just saw you probably didn't talk about USD ...

From what I read so far is that the Haldex comes more into play when pushing the car hard but the sway bars aways have an influence.

There are very good write ups in the Australia section by WhiteJames maybe they answer your question

I think a RSB will solve your problem.

Last edited:

gottiR32

Banned
Car(s)
Duh .:R32 Hello?
I'd try the sway bars first. The Haldex upgrade will increase wear on the clutch pack.

I agree with the first part, the second... so will driving the car normally lol

9Schnell

Euro-Elitist
Car(s)
2010 CC Lux
I got h&r rear sway and you can feel a minor difference driving normally but when you get on it it really shows itself and I like it :thumbsup:

WakeHead

WakeHead
Car(s)
2008 R32 #0146
I agree with the first part, the second... so will driving the car normally lol

Normal engagement is only 10% torque to the rear. The Haldex sport and race controllers provide much more rear bias. That's why you get them. The downside is more maintenance and wear. Why do you think they sell a switch to turn the setting back to stock?

gottiR32

Banned
Car(s)
Duh .:R32 Hello?
Normal engagement is only 10% torque to the rear. The Haldex sport and race controllers provide much more rear bias. That's why you get them. The downside is more maintenance and wear. Why do you think they sell a switch to turn the setting back to stock?

I'm sure they sell a switch so you have a choice to run stock, not because of pre mature wear. It's just like driving in sport mode or D or M. They put them on there for choice not to stop wear and tear. I could be wrong though I guess.

TheSlacker

I saw a big improvement by installing a rear sway bar and upgrading my tires. I had the Pirelli all-season tires and upgraded to Bridgestone RE-11. I highly recommend those if you have all-season tires. After these 2 mods handling became much more neutral.

willlangford

Hamster
Car(s)
08 MKV :R32
Do sway bar, haldex and haldex switch. I only have my Haldex installed at the moment and love it. I will report back when I get my car back with the rest of my suspention installed..

KW V3, H&R F and R Sway Bars, Whiteline Antilift Kit, Whiteline Bushing, Neuspeed Endlinks.

:)

Frank Rizzo

Trailingthrottleoversteer
Seem to work as good as the Pirelli's did. No problems so far, and I drove it in a major rainstorm a week ago.

That's good to know, I've been eyeing the RE-11's myself when the Dunlop Maxx's are gone. I dont really care too much about the wet since I'm in So Calif.

I did the rear bar with the stock links and I can get the rear end to rotate nicely on the track. That's what I was looking for, and with the stock links the ride quality is great for a daily driver as well. Best mod so far for me.