GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Haldex rear LSD

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I'm wondering if anyone has or knows about any sources for installing an LSD into the haldex unit. As far as I've seen, Wavetrac only makes an LSD for the gen 2 haldex in the mk4 R32. There were some people who were converting these gen 2 haldex Wavetracs for the gen 4 and gen 5 haldex units (https://www.haldex-lsd.com/?lang=en), but as far as I can tell from their site, they're not making them anymore. I know there were some other projects here and there, one with a clutch-type LSD and some other group buy thing, but wanted to ask if anyone had more direct experience with any of this.

Side note: I don't have awd, but I'm doing research for a future project.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I guess you already saw this thread.... https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...install-into-differential-in-progress.381790/

Seems this is the only company doing this for our cars..... and seems like they still building them? https://www.haldex-lsd.com/produkt/generation-5/?lang=en

Where are you seeing that they discontinued?
When I add it to my cart on their site, it lists it as 0 cost (seems broken...). That and the last update I've seen is from late 2021. I sent them an email and will update if I get a response.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Has anyone gotten the Kesel Motorsport rear LSD? It's clutch type instead of helical. They don't have a website (at least that I can find), so it's hard to do research on it, but as far as I can tell it's for sale from them.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Kesel might as well be vaporware. Haldex-LSD/powerzone is quite real and has responded to my emails with lots of info (and they know I just have a secondhand unit). They certainly know how to make more, I'm sure it's just a matter of money if you want one right now.

I suspect they might be dropping the product since the 10.309.193WK wavetrac unit should be available to order within the next month or so. But it's been a couple months since I talked to someone at autotech. Recommend giving them a call and seeing where they're at (most of the vendors who've had them listed can't be trusted not to just take your money). Keep in mind you still need to have the rear machined with the version wavetrac will be selling eventually.

Reactions: krs

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I suspect they might be dropping the product since the 10.309.193WK wavetrac unit should be available to order within the next month or so.
Oh, wait, I didn't hear about this. Maybe this answers all of my questions!

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Kesel might as well be vaporware. Haldex-LSD/powerzone is quite real and has responded to my emails with lots of info (and they know I just have a secondhand unit). They certainly know how to make more, I'm sure it's just a matter of money if you want one right now.

I suspect they might be dropping the product since the 10.309.193WK wavetrac unit should be available to order within the next month or so. But it's been a couple months since I talked to someone at autotech. Recommend giving them a call and seeing where they're at (most of the vendors who've had them listed can't be trusted not to just take your money). Keep in mind you still need to have the rear machined with the version wavetrac will be selling eventually.
I've had my wavetrac DQ381 + haldex LSD on preorder for what seems like forever. You figure they'll finally ship soon?

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
No clue, I was assuming they'd push it back again.
Yeah given their track record. Going to send them a follow up email in a week or two and expect it to get moved to Q2... Would be wonderful if they actually deliver it before track season starts.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I preordered one from driftworks. They forwarded me a message from Wavetrac today saying that they're expecting delivery within Q1.

Also, I did get a response from Haldex-LSD/Powerzone. They're still making them, their site is just broken. The 193WK unit is going to come out to a lot cheaper though, when it eventually gets here.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Yea, complete rear axle, fuel tank, bevel box, and exhaust are already in the garage. Picking up the driveshaft tomorrow, and front awd LSD and a bunch of misc is already on order. I probably won't start for another month or two (or maybe until the rear lsd arrives), but the process has begun :D.

Side note: did you know an awd rear floor pan is only like $220 new from VW? It's like they want people to do this conversion lol.

Last edited:

gingercabrio

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf R, Cabrio VR6
Yea, complete rear axle, fuel tank, bevel box, and exhaust are already in the garage. Picking up the driveshaft tomorrow, and front awd LSD and a bunch of misc is already on order. I probably won't start for another month or two (or maybe until the rear lsd arrives), but the process has begun :D.

Side note: did you know an awd rear floor pan is only like $220 new from VW? It's like they want people to do this conversion lol.
I remember seeing the procedure for doing the floor pan replacement in the manual and thinking, "Oh my god, there's a factory sanctioned way to do it now!"