GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Had to break down and put 87 in the GTI!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
This is a very simplistic viewpoint. The reality is much more complicated than what he lays out. You probably weren't even born when Jimmy Carter's economic policies were destroying this country. Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
I sure remember it. 20% interest rates that I was lucky to take advantage of. Those interest rates were killing people in debt but I owned a gas station and paid the federal tax on wholesale gasoline purchases monthly. So I parked the money to pay the tax in a money market account paying 20% and made $2000 per month in interest.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Yes and no, it means that the majority of our markets are just shifting money around and extraction, not productive, as in building goods, factories, providing services, etc... it's also HFT where computers buy and sell based on algorithms, not a desire invest in a product, company, factory, etc...
this is what I don't like and would tax.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
yes, not being a consumer of high end financials and knowing who those consumers are that would be good for me

Reactions: WAP

sstarrx2

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI S DSG
Well after taking a long road trip this week about 700 miles round trip, I am leaning towards my GTI runs just fine on 87:). I honestly could not tell a difference in performance or mileage. As long as my engine does not start knocking, I am trying to think of a reason I should throw my money away.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I always run 87.....I admit to not being a true speed freak and not needing every HP. Stock my GTI is faster than I tend to drive it and I'm old enough to not care what the majority use. Yeah you'll get a bit more HP but I'm not convinced most folks could tell in a blind test. This is assuming not tuned.

Have gas supplies returned to normal?

sstarrx2

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI S DSG
Yeah, for the most part I think things are back to normal. 93 prices are slowly coming down and I did not see any stations out of gas on my trip to Maryland. Mid week most stations wanted $4.00 for 93 while 87 was $2.83. My girl got 87! The last station I hit had 93 for $3.50 but I still went with 87.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Yep 87 is not a problem in a stock (or APR+ tuned) GTI. The often stated less 'gas mileage' is nonsense IMO, if it exists its a fraction of a MPG at most. Similarly, I've noted no loss in power (nor seen a slow down in my dragy times). The only time I'd fill with 93 nowadays is if I took it to a track day (as additional knock protection given sustained high RPMs rather than expecting any performance improvement).

As much as I'd like to up my tune to a 93 one, I think I won't bother when my APR+ warranty expires next year as round my area the difference per gallon is about 75c 87-93, which just annoys me as I can remember the days when it used to be just 20c.

Last edited: