GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Had my windshield replaced...

cb1111

Dealer will just typically contract it out to some local jamoke they work with.

Take pics of your front end, quarter panels, A-pillars, plastic cowl at the bottom of the windshield and rubber windshield trim that runs down either side before the work is done.
Yes, they almost all farm it out - but - you have some recourse with the dealer - no finger pointing between the glass place and the dealer

SPLR337

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019/1997 GTI
My front/rear driver and passenger are original VW stamped Saint Gobain / Sekurit glass, but they both have that staining showed on page 1, and only in very bright light or when the sun was low. I also have some scratches from when a previous owner or somebody removed window tint. I tried the Carpro Ceriglass kit and noticed that, even by hand, it got rid of the strange staining on the parts of the windows that I did, which lead me to believe it was leftover from poor tint removal.

The scratches are a bit too deep, so I ordered new S-G pieces and will see how it looks as far as the staining goes.

My Pilkington windshield does not have the staining, but I do not believe that it is the original windshield.

RMinNJ

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI S
Oh wow. So having the dealer replace it is no guarantee it will be done right.

Safelight guy that did my other non VW car did a good job in my driveway..showed me as he worked..no scratches etc..but I've heard horror stories about them.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Oh wow. So having the dealer replace it is no guarantee it will be done right.

Safelight guy that did my other non VW car did a good job in my driveway..showed me as he worked..no scratches etc..but I've heard horror stories about them.

Well in his case and most of the time by the sounds of it the dealers contract out for windshield replacements.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
OEM glass barely costs more than non-OEM, at least that was the case last time I had to replace one a few years ago. If insurance won't pony up for OEM and you really want it, just pay the difference - it should be minor.

Jonnymk7.5

Go Kart Newbie
Had my windshield replaced twice in 72k miles. Full coverage for aftermarket. I pay out of pocket for OEM. I go with aftermarket. Why pay extra when its going to crack again. Aftermarket is fine.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I have a big stone chip in my 19 GTI window, tried 3 times to get it replaced, they brought the wrong one each time. Finally, I gave up, expoxied it, and I live with it, even though it drives my crazy.

The brought the windshield without a spot for the rain sensor. Then they brought the rain sensor and lane camera version, then the first one without rain sensor AGAIN.

Then insurance authorized factory replacement, glass place lost the windshield. Will never use safelite again. What a nightmare.

Called to schedule replacement with dealer, they claimed they had to do and alignment and adjust all the sensors in my car, which would cost more than the windshield.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I have a big stone chip in my 19 GTI window, tried 3 times to get it replaced, they brought the one each time. Finally, I gave up, expoxied it, and I live with it, even though it drives my crazy.

The brought the windshield without a spot for the rain sensor. Then they brought the rain sensor and lane camera version, then the first one without rain sensor AGAIN.

Then insurance authorized factory replacement, glass place lost the windshield. Will never use safelite again. What a nightmare.

Called to schedule replacement with dealer, they claimed they had to do and alignment and adjust all the sensors in my car, which would cost more than the windshield.
Your insurance covers the sensors adjustment also doesn't it? It's getting expensive as hell for things to be replaced that used to be inexpensive. All these electronic safety devices are great but expensive to maintain.

RMinNJ

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI S
Has anyone been able to track down a SGS part number for a rain sensor windshield?

I called Mygrant and they were not helpful
I just had my windshield replaced at the dealer.. .brought the car with an aftermarket windshield and the rain sensor never worked.
Rain sensor works very well now.

2018 GTI S.. part numbers i have on my receipt;

5GM-845-011-AA-NVB Glass
7NO-955-609 Film

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Your insurance covers the sensors adjustment also doesn't it? It's getting expensive as hell for things to be replaced that used to be inexpensive. All these electronic safety devices are great but expensive to maintain.
My insurance said no. Must be a Florida thing.