GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Habor Frieght Jack Stands Recall

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
It's hit or miss. Years ago I bought a cheapo torque wrench and had it tested right away, it was off by about 30%. Hand tools are garbage too from there. On the other hand the 12 ton press I got there has been great, the Daytona jack I bought there is the best jack I've ever used.

For hand tools my go to is gearwrench these days, been super impressed. For electric power tools Milwaukee is the leader hands down

cb1111

It's hit or miss. Years ago I bought a cheapo torque wrench and had it tested right away, it was off by about 30%. Hand tools are garbage too from there. On the other hand the 12 ton press I got there has been great, the Daytona jack I bought there is the best jack I've ever used.

For hand tools my go to is gearwrench these days, been super impressed. For electric power tools Milwaukee is the leader hands down
Yes, Gearwrench makes some interesting stuff in decent quality. I've found that it pays to buy quality tools in the first place (Wera, Gedore, Hazet, NWS, Channellock, Knipex, Grip-On) and I only buy cheap tools that I expect are single use only and have no real safety implications if they break while in use.

Oh, and here is an article that includes some pictures.

Last edited:

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Buy once cry once. That being said, I like dewalt for power tools and husky for hand tools. Not sure my 2 torque wretch brands tho, maybe amazon best seller and home depot. Milwalkee is real good for sure, just depends on what you are using it all for

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
I'd rather have HF tools than no tools and not being able to get the job done. Yes, I have also broken plenty of HF tools (I even broke a 1/4" extension with a tiny 1/4" ratchet), but their Daytona jacks are great and the Icon tools are also excellent. Hell, some of their tools are legitimately as good or better than the name brands (Pittsburgh 1/2" breaker bar). I have both of their Icon torque wrenches and they are seriously super nice.

People buying the $10 torque wrench and then complaining about it being off are hilarious (FWIW I still have mine but use it as a mini breaker bar).

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Just curious....if these jack stands weren't raised up at all (just at the lowest position/sitting on the base), they'd work fine still right?
They were "failing" when raised up, correct?

Not that I have them or are using them....I guess I haven't seen/read clearly what was "failing"

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
Just curious....if these jack stands weren't raised up at all (just at the lowest position/sitting on the base), they'd work fine still right?
They were "failing" when raised up, correct?

Not that I have them or are using them....I guess I haven't seen/read clearly what was "failing"

Yeah, if they are at the bottom, there shouldn't be an issue. However, I know that for my car, at the lowest setting, its barely raised (unless you're lowered).

Gptuners

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
It's hit or miss. Years ago I bought a cheapo torque wrench and had it tested right away, it was off by about 30%.
Where do you get your torque wrenches tested? I've always wondered how people get them calibrated regularly.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I returned my four HF jackstands today. They never even looked at them, just credited it towards my pile of impact sockets I was buying.

Two were the recalled PN, two weren’t. I didn’t trust any of the four so I’m glad to be rid of them.

My QuickJack will be on standby duty in about a week since I also ordered a Atlas 9k ALI certified two post lift

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
I had 4 of those as well. Didn't have an issue with them, but looking back, getting the cheapest jack stands I could find probably wasn't the best idea. I replaced them with two sets of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074R17GL4/

What setting do you use these at? They are already MUCH higher than the 3 ton ones I have, and I don't even raise that one too high. Feels like I'd have to raise the car WAY too high, something I already feel uncomfortable doing.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
What setting do you use these at? They are already MUCH higher than the 3 ton ones I have, and I don't even raise that one too high. Feels like I'd have to raise the car WAY too high, something I already feel uncomfortable doing.

I have the same ones that I use on my truck. They do go stupid high (enough to pull the transmission from my truck and roll it out on a transmission jack). I've never used it on the Golf though, since the Golf doesn't have center jack points and is a PITA to get onto stands.