GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

H&R springs questions

WhiteRabbit_MK7.5

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2020 Golf GTI MK7.5
Is anyone running the H&R sport springs that lower the car 1.3” both front and rear, if you are:

What do you think of the ride ?
What’s your wheel and tire set up? Do they rub?

I want to go 18x8.5 +35 with a 235/40 and I don’t know if the 1.3” would be too low cause then i would consider the APR springs which only are 1/2” to 3/4”

Visceral

Go Kart Newbie
I am running the H&R sport springs but they were less than a 1.3" drop... closer to 1". At any rate, I haven't taken a tape to the current drop as my measurements were when initially installed and I suppose there has been some settlement. I have 18x8's with spacers running 235/40 rubber. This is a daily driver for me so the ride was a real consideration in my efforts. I would say I like the ride a LOT more than stock. Is it stiff? Sure. Is there any banging over expansion joints or the like? No. I should say, some other items I have installed contribute to the ride: Koni Yellows (adjusted to nearly full soft) and H&R 24mm RSB w/ Moog endlinks. Most importantly, the Michelin PSAS 4 made a huge difference in the ride quality. Prior to these I had the PS A/S 3+ and liked them a lot but the new rubber is at another level when it comes to ride quality.

I would recommend the H&R springs but would say you need to consider the dampers too. Keeping stock they will wear quicker and you will be changing them out next. If you can swing it, do it all at the same time.

WhiteRabbit_MK7.5

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2020 Golf GTI MK7.5
I am running the H&R sport springs but they were less than a 1.3" drop... closer to 1". At any rate, I haven't taken a tape to the current drop as my measurements were when initially installed and I suppose there has been some settlement. I have 18x8's with spacers running 235/40 rubber. This is a daily driver for me so the ride was a real consideration in my efforts. I would say I like the ride a LOT more than stock. Is it stiff? Sure. Is there any banging over expansion joints or the like? No. I should say, some other items I have installed contribute to the ride: Koni Yellows (adjusted to nearly full soft) and H&R 24mm RSB w/ Moog endlinks. Most importantly, the Michelin PSAS 4 made a huge difference in the ride quality. Prior to these I had the PS A/S 3+ and liked them a lot but the new rubber is at another level when it comes to ride quality.

I would recommend the H&R springs but would say you need to consider the dampers too. Keeping stock they will wear quicker and you will be changing them out next. If you can swing it, do it all at the same time.
Awesome thanks for the info, also since u didn’t mention anything about rubbing I’m guessing there isn’t any.

CamarosRus

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 Golf SE
I have not yet installed my H&R springs because my 2 post lift has been tied up with another car project

I do have VMR710 18x8.5 et35 Wheels with 235/40-18 Conty DWS Tires
I installed 10mm Black Forest spacers on the REAR (only) so as to make
the Rear Tires match the Fitment of the Fronts with NO Spacers

Attachments

• 20200806_132006.jpg
    20200806_132006.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 66
  • 20200714_192823.jpg
    20200714_192823.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 70
  • 20200714_192848.jpg
    20200714_192848.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 70
  • 20200714_194007.jpg
    20200714_194007.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 71

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I do have VMR710 18x8.5 et35 Wheels with 235/40-18 Conty DWS Tires
I installed 10mm Black Forest spacers on the REAR (only) so as to make
the Rear Tires match the Fitment of the Fronts with NO Spacers
ALERT
Be very careful with 10mm in the rear!!! Myself and other members have had the tiny lip shear off from the hub, which then leaves the wheel free floating and the lip rattling. The addition material with a 15mm spacer seems to take care of the problem

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
I paired the H&R Sports with B8 shocks. They’re great together, like they were made for each other but in hindsight I wish I had gone just a bit lower than the 1.3 sometimes. Driving over dips I do not though 🤣

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
ALERT
Be very careful with 10mm in the rear!!! Myself and other members have had the tiny lip shear off from the hub, which then leaves the wheel free floating and the lip rattling. The addition material with a 15mm spacer seems to take care of the problem
Same

Wade_GT

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI S 6M
You could go with H&R OE sport springs which have a milder drop. They also pair well with Bilstein B8 from what I’ve read. Here’s mine on these springs with TT spring pads in the rear.68CCD524-CEC9-4FCA-8830-AF047D3B049C.jpeg

Visceral

Go Kart Newbie
Awesome thanks for the info, also since u didn’t mention anything about rubbing I’m guessing there isn’t any.
Nope, no rubbing at all. Including track days...

Visceral

Go Kart Newbie
Oh, I see Wade_GT mentioned the TT spring pads... I did that as well and in fact, doubled them up in the rear to account for some of the geometry squat you get.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Oh, I see Wade_GT mentioned the TT spring pads... I did that as well and in fact, doubled them up in the rear to account for some of the geometry squat you get.
Not sure why but mine had em in when I bought the car. I may have an extra set if you wanna grab em cheap.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
235 tire with a 35et will rub the front fender once lowered. You'll have to run some decent camber up front to keep the tire from contacting the fender.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
You could go with H&R OE sport springs which have a milder drop. They also pair well with Bilstein B8 from what I’ve read. Here’s mine on these springs with TT spring pads in the rear.View attachment 196332
I also have the H&R OE Sports with B8's. Perfect combo in my opinion. I run 245/40/18 tires and after doing the fender screw mod I have zero rubbing even over dips. I do have the TT pads in the rear, but they're probably not necessary.

IMG_20190505_171120.jpg

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
I also have the H&R OE Sports with B8's. Perfect combo in my opinion. I run 245/40/18 tires and after doing the fender screw mod I have zero rubbing even over dips. I do have the TT pads in the rear, but they're probably not necessary.

View attachment 196473
Best color for a GTI/R. However I’m biased 🤣