GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

H&R OE Sport springs w/ DCC

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I'm new to having DCC (since I just got this car with it), but I didn't even know about this calibration and I just put my springs on Monday and this knowledge was invaluable! Thanks guys (y)

So I just bought a new VagCom cable, since that's what I've always used in the past on prior VW's and had never messed with OBD11.
Anyways....is there a write up for using VagCom to do the calibration or is it pretty much the same (or similar) as the OBD11 procedure?

RabbitTwo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
With a fresh set of Michelin Pilot AS4 tires in 235/40/18 and the alignment dialled in, wow, did this ever create a nice daily driver package. Again, my goal with this car is OEM-plus so I decided on the AS4 over for the 4S for two main reasons:

1. Up here in Canada, I wanted to make the most of colder, wet weather in Spring and Fall without being on my snow tires (while still having good summer performance)
2. I do a lot of driving and wanted to extend tread life, for a minor trade-off in ultimate performance

I am super happy with the setup, and the tire fitment on the RSe10 wheels (18 x 8.5). The wheels & tires also sit really nice on the car, with the H&R OE Sport springs.

235/40/18 are almost identical in diameter to 235/35/19 which come on the Golf R. I love the way Golf Rs sit, and also love the look of a little more sidewall with the 18s on the GTI.

Overall, really happy with how everything is coming together and ride quality after the DCC reset. Next up is a rear sway bar and the handling side of things is done!
49172F4C-5883-4758-901F-8EEE9A73EA1B.jpeg

Last edited:

RabbitTwo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
A couple more pics from testing on some epic roads. I can confidently say that all drives modes feel better than stock; Sport is really stable through the smooth sections, Comfort handles the rougher stuff really well, and Normal feels great around town. I also had 4 people in the car and the suspension still felt amazing - no bounce, no rubbing. The car is an absolute joy to drive!

9A6E9F81-C7C0-43EC-9C01-C4AD71B96815.jpeg
678583FE-33E6-4750-B553-87D8289F50BE.jpeg

MK7Fanatic

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI
Great review! You're from Canada? Where did you order your h&r OE springs from? Highly considering it but mine is a 2018 without DCC

JJ_MK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI Autobahn
Thanks! Yes, I ordered them from a local shop. Great springs, but you may want to consider pairing them with upgraded dampers in a non-DCC car. @MK7Fanatic
Never knew about this when I added my VWR Lowering springs. I have being running like this for several months now, hopefully the OEM dampers didn't suffer too much from not performing this calibration.
I'm going to have to get my GTI on the Quick Jack and see if I can do this recalibration.
I'm also thinking about upgrading the OEM DCC Dampers on my GTI but don't exactly know with what. Hopefully I see some more feedback on my thread and can make an educated decision before moving forward with my plan.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
If you're on lowering springs without the calibration your dampers will be "pre-stiffened" all the time, as if the suspension is under compression. Shouldn't really be any different than running in Sport (or Race for you Golf R folks) mode all the time. Some argument has made that the reduced travel in the stiffer modes may generate less wear and tear on suspension components. I have no interest in how true that may or may not be, I'm in comfort 99% of the time... give me all the travel.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
How about the Bilstein B8 DampTronic. Any feedback on those?
My understanding is they don't make B8 Damptronics for our platform. I think they have B4, B6 and then B16. B8's, if available would be the same as the B6 from a performance stand point, just shorter.