GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI Winter Storage

CharmedL1fe

Passed Driver's Ed
I keep mine tucked away in the garage during the grey months. Drive a ‘05 TL when the weather isn’t nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
My GTI was my daily driver so drove it everyday, but if you really care about your car, most definitely keep them away from salt. Cars are treated to handle 7-8yrs no problem but if you're like me that like to keep the undercarriage clean, salt is a nightmare! By the 3rd year cars look pretty bad underneath.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
GTI was my daily driver and it saw everything from snow, slush to winter storms with winter tires. I did an under body inspection before selling mine after 2 years of ownership and it faired pretty good.

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
Life is too short to spend several months in a beater while perfectly fine car sits in the garage, so no, I’d never store something like GTI in a garage and drive around in 15yr old corolla.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Life is too short to spend several months in a beater while perfectly fine car sits in the garage, so no, I’d never store something like GTI in a garage and drive around in 15yr old corolla.

My daily driver is not a 'beater' so I'm perfectly fine with not driving my Golf-R in the winter. I would not want to be driving some crappy FWD beater for 6months, you're right.

boomvang

My '17 SE is my winter beater, it's tucked away for the season in the back of the garage. I try to take it out once a week or so for some exercise. It does very well on winter tires and shows very little sign of rust on the undercarriage. I did treat it to a couple of cans of Fluid Film, and wash it as often as possible.

Thomas.brian23

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 GTI SE
I used my GTI during its first winter when the weather was nicer and the roads were clean enough to spot giant potholes. I still lost a tire to a crater back in January. :-/

Life is too short IMO to worry about a car rusting, but my other vehicle is an SUV and better suited to handling winter slop so I used it more often than the GTI.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
Drive mine daily (21,000 miles, 13 months old) and I'm just outside of NYC. As others have said, if you drive it in snow/salt, be sure you clean it well/often.

Having the road hazard insurance also helps :)

I've replaced two tires and fixed two bent rims already.

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
I use fluid film as well. Driven year round [emoji16]

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Daily drive mine, almost 50K miles in 2 years 4 months.

The modding has gotten a bit out of control, it will not be daily driven next winter.

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
It’s not a miata damn boys