GTI Winter Storage

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
No winter storage for my car

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
100% agreed. Winter garaged Golf R = why did you buy all weather AWD all purpose car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:D You sound like my wife.

Answer: Because I can.. and my daily driver is also AWD and MT, has better ground clearance too.

When I looked at how much cleaner my Golf-R's undercarriage was last weekend vs my other hobby car that was driven through the winter, I knew for certain I made the right decision on my Golf-R. I'm hibernating both cars this winter as I had been doing for all my RWD cars I had in the past. I usually keep cars I really like for 10 years or so.. If I was going to sell within 3-4 years, I would not care.

Last edited:

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Considering the amount of hapless and oblivious drivers that are on the road, which are even worse during winter, it's not a bad move to store a project car or simply a car you like over the winter months. You could have the safest most agile car in the snow. That doesn't mean shit when fuckwit t-bones you as they slide through an intersection while looking at their phone.

Seems the op is in Ontario, Canada, so I totally understand why he'd choose to do this.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

danvilla413

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 SE 6MT, '04 S2K
My '17 SE is my winter beater, it's tucked away for the season in the back of the garage. I try to take it out once a week or so for some exercise. It does very well on winter tires and shows very little sign of rust on the undercarriage. I did treat it to a couple of cans of Fluid Film, and wash it as often as possible.

Not a bad "beater". What's your daily?

danvilla413

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 SE 6MT, '04 S2K
I plan to drive mine year round. DC winters aren't too bad - nothing like the Michigan winters I grew up with. I really don't have a choice to keep it out of the snow (i just have an outside parking spot - yay city living). When they do freshly salt the roads, and for a few days after, I will switch to our '08 Mercury Mariner. I couldn't give 2 s*&ts if it was hit by a meteor.