GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI w/ VWR springs: noise when turning, please help!

Billyescopetas

Passed Driver's Ed
Well... it seems I have no option. I will get the genuine springs installed as soon as possible and bring the car to the dealer. Hope they don't detect the suspension was manipulated.

If going back to stock the issues are solved I will never go back to VWR springs ever. In fact, lesson learned is never use lowering springs with stock parts. Makes no sense to deal with all this for sitting 20 mm lower...

Thank you all!! I promise I will continue updating this thread with new findings!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
I've installed mine without any problems or noises.

I reused my stock strut mounts and bearings. Only difference is I used shorter sway bar end links.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billyescopetas

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi all. Just an update on my issue described in my first post. The issue disappeared when I had the original springs installed back again. Problem solved, no noises.

My experience with these springs is really bad because of the noise my car developed and the money I spent..but I must say that ride was excellent and drop was perfect for me with them fitted. VWR have good customer support, they even sent me a free new set of springs to try but the noise was still there. I got a partial refund and I sold both sets.

Even the issue went away with original springs, I have to say I was not able to get an explanation of the root cause.

Good luck to all of you, hope you enjoy VWR springs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Saz

Hi all,

I'm a bit frustrated with a noise I hear in my GTI when turning at very low speeds and stationary. The noise is exactly this one (not my video). You might need headphones to notice it.

Background: My GTI with Performance Pack has now 40.000 km on the clock. I installed VWR springs when it had 14.000 km. FYI, I didn't replace the strut top mounts nor their bearings since the car had very low mileage. The car has been running flawlessly since then with no single noise. I really like the drop of the VWR springs.

This past January I started hearing a noise when turning the steering wheel when stationary and I soon realized it could even be heard at very low speeds. The noise is not very loud and most of people don't notice it but it is really getting on my nerves. The noise is not so loud in the mornings and it's definetly louder when my car has been parked for 1 or 2 hours.

Very important: the noise can't be heard while driving faster than 15 km/h, there is no popping sound or crack noise while turning hard or driving fast. There is simply no other noise that I can hear in any other situation.

First fix attempt I had my GTI inspeced by my mechanic (not official VW dealer) and I was told that the noise could be caused by the strut bearings. It really made sense to me since I didn't replace them when I installed de VWR springs. I ordered a set of bearings + top mounts. Result: FAIL, the noise was still there.

Second fix attempt We ordered new bearings (warranty) as my mechanic was still suspecting of defective bearings. As I'm a bit maniac and I read in some forums that the noise could be caused by the springs, I also ordered NEW ones. So this time I had a second set of bearings + new springs. Result: FAIL, the noise is still there.

What I've already tried: greased the bearings, removed the strut bars with no luck, checked the brake system, shafts...

My thoughts: I'm a simple car enthusiast with very low technical knowledge but I do think that the root cause is not the springs, nor the bearings, nor the installation (top mounts are pointing to the engine with the arrows pointing front and back of the car). The proof of this is I drove my GTI for 26.000 km with no issues. In addition, I've seen many videos from people having bad bearings and the noise is louder and like a "clonk clonk".. Mine can't barely be heard with music at low volume...

I've already read hundreds of forums and threads about suspension noises, springs, bearings, link bars, steering racks, etc. with no clue. The noise I hear seems a bit different to the one most people have.

The most interesting think is that the noise changes with ambient temperature or if the car has been parked for 1 or 2 hours. The engine bay temperature seems to affect negatively.

Any suggestions? Am I too fussy? Should I forget about the noise and continue enjoying my GTI?

Hello there i have a Mk7.5R with the same exact sound in the video after installing the EMD lowering springs, i took them off & installed the stock one's & poof the sound was gone so took it to the dealer (warranty) they check everything and 0 issue, so i said maybe the spring they gave me a new pair & installed and the sound was back again & its so ANNOYING.

any suggestions what to do, i really love the drop & i want keep it low :((

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Hello there i have a Mk7.5R with the same exact sound in the video after installing the EMD lowering springs, i took them off & installed the stock one's & poof the sound was gone so took it to the dealer (warranty) they check everything and 0 issue, so i said maybe the spring they gave me a new pair & installed and the sound was back again & its so ANNOYING.

any suggestions what to do, i really love the drop & i want keep it low :((

Wear ear plugs. ?

Hyperlite

Go Kart Newbie
reviving thread…has anyone managed to find any solutions to this?

I have the same issue as OP, creaking sound during low speed turns. Springs made no noise during first few years of use…

Stanislao

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Gti 2018
reviving thread…has anyone managed to find any solutions to this?

I have the same issue as OP, creaking sound during low speed turns. Springs made no noise during first few years of use…
Yes I did it's the spring not following the bearing when turning.

Just put some tein spring silencers on top between the bearing and the spring.

Hyperlite

Go Kart Newbie
Awesome! I think this is the issue for me too. I was digging around in there today and the noise appears to be coming from where the spring meets the bottom metal part of the bearing. I tried to hit it with some silicone lubricant spray best I could, but I’m sure that’s just a temporary fix.

Are you able to install the Tein silencers while it’s all on the car, or do you have to take apart the strut to do it properly?

Stanislao

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Gti 2018
Awesome! I think this is the issue for me too. I was digging around in there today and the noise appears to be coming from where the spring meets the bottom metal part of the bearing. I tried to hit it with some silicone lubricant spray best I could, but I’m sure that’s just a temporary fix.

Are you able to install the Tein silencers while it’s all on the car, or do you have to take apart the strut to do it properly?
No I have to redo everything again.

This video explains the noise. It's because the springs don't turn on the top when turning the steering.
The spring is not making full contact with bearing.

Just put some tein spring silencers between the bearing and the spring or you can put a thrust washer.

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I had a creaking noise on my car too. Mainly while turning the wheel to the right in parking lot speeds. It happened with:
- factory suspension (mileage 0-5k miles)
- Bilstein B16 (got worse the lower I set the ride height)
- H&R springs, factory shocks
- Eibach pro-linear w/ Bilstein B8

I have tried things like new top mounts, bearings, spring silencers, new hardware but the creaking was still present from time to time. Didn’t record humidity, and temperature but it wasn’t present all the time.

Saw online discussions about creaking Golf‘s in Germany too. Dealers over here grease the rear lower control arm bushings as a „fix“. It seamed to help a few guys. Since I only had silicone spray available I floated the bushing from the top and the lower side. Voila my car is silent. Unfortunately it washes out and doesn’t last for ever. Every time it annoys me enough I just respray it. Just give it a try, it's cheap to test before you start changing hardware.

LowerControlArmBushing.jpg

The rumor has it that there are 2 „better“ bushings available that not only improve the steering feel but also fix the creaking. The S3 version has minimum openings in the rubber compared to the factory version, the TTS version appears to be w/o openings in the rubber. I haven't tested those bushings myself yet but eventually I'll do it for the steering feel alone - I guess.

Factory standard Golf/GTI/Golf R bushing 5Q0407183E
1685110118029.png

Audi S3/GTI Clubsport S bushing 5Q0407183F
1685110194849.png

Audi TTS 8S0407183B
1685110372288.png

Hyperlite

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks @ZERO815, I’d like to give that a try. Can you explain a bit further where exactly that bushing is and where you sprayed it?

Something like this might make sense, because my car didn’t make any noise for the first years the lowering springs were installed. Just started fairly recently. I was able to spray a bunch of silicone where the spring meets the strut bearing and it had little to no effect on the noise 😠

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
LowerControlArm.jpg

Jacked it up and I was able to access it

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Usually, it’s the endlinks causing creaks when turning after lowering. Improper length in the endlink. Install endlink lengthened correctly to eliminate load.

My GTI on lowered on VWr springs creaked for a couple years when turning until one snapped. When replaced with Neuspeed adjustable, lengthened properly, the creaks and pops went away.