GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI w/ VWR springs: noise when turning, please help!

TJN

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S
End links don't seem to be the root cause.. I removed them and the noise was still there with no change in tone nor volume

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good to know, thanks. I'm just throwing ideas at this point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Billyescopetas

Passed Driver's Ed
Good to know, thanks. I'm just throwing ideas at this point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Thanks again TJN... good ideas like yours are exactly what we all need ?

It seems almost everyone that got into this thread have the same issue

Billyescopetas

Passed Driver's Ed
It's possible it could be LCA bushings, but based on other forums here and my own experience, it's probably the strut mounts.

034 has a good write up here: https://store.034motorsport.com/str...n-golf-gti-r-8v-8s-audi-a3-s3-tt-tts-mqb.html

For those who had it when stock, I'd check with the dealer. Could be something defective.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the 034 link mate. This is a good idea although I won't buy them right now till I get to understand what is causing the noise... the spring is clearly not rotating smooth and the bearing is the only inmediate part touching the spring and also rotating.

I would say that deffective strut mounts would generate noise with time but not brand new (in my case I got a new set of springs, bearings and mounts)

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
My mounts made noise the second I drove it out of the shop, as have others. It's not that their defective, it's that the steel cup that the rubber is bonded to is forced into a more extreme angle when it's lowered.

When this suspension is lowered, the strut splays out more, ever so slightly changing the angle that the strut mount contacts the strut tower. It's this, plus the weight transfer of turning, that probably creates the noise.

But for obvious reasons, this is really hard to test it to be 100% scientific. You might want to check out Sandman GTI's build thread, I think he explains it a little better than me. I short, it's the design, not the quality or it being defective.

I promise to stop harping on it, I just wanted to make sure I was explaining myself correctly. ?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Well I just installed my vwr springs today. Let's see what happens.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
So far so good. I also used shortened end-links that came with an ST XTA coilover kit.

I did install the springs and the bearings / strut mounts the correct way for the tab and torqued it to VW spec.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
I did. There was only 3,000 miles on them.

ModfydGTI

Ready to race!
I'd bet the spring is riding the strut bearing. The heat makes the spring sag slightly which makes the spring slip in the seat of the strut bearing. Being that I had DG springs (linear springs) then they never sagged ever. Never had any noises. EVER. All factory parts. The Hyundai Genesis and Civics had the same problems. Just my .02

Resolution : put thin rubber bushing between the spring and strut mount so it seats correctly and doesn't move.

Billyescopetas

Passed Driver's Ed
I'd bet the spring is riding the strut bearing. The heat makes the spring sag slightly which makes the spring slip in the seat of the strut bearing. Being that I had DG springs (linear springs) then they never sagged ever. Never had any noises. EVER. All factory parts. The Hyundai Genesis and Civics had the same problems. Just my .02

Resolution : put thin rubber bushing between the spring and strut mount so it seats correctly and doesn't move.

Yes I see your point but unfortunately my mechanic already tried this and the noise was exactly the same. See below:

The most important thing here is why I did get no noises for more than 26.000 km with the VWR springs and stock bearing/struts. This might point out to another part...

ModfydGTI

Ready to race!
Yes I see your point but unfortunately my mechanic already tried this and the noise was exactly the same. See below:

The most important thing here is why I did get no noises for more than 26.000 km with the VWR springs and stock bearing/struts. This might point out to another part...

Did you mechanic put the rubber sitting in the perch or the strut bearing side? You'd mostly likely have to do both. The vwr spring is significantly shorter than stock and even shorter once it hits break in period.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Billyescopetas

Passed Driver's Ed
Did you mechanic put the rubber sitting in the perch or the strut bearing side? You'd mostly likely have to do both. The vwr spring is significantly shorter than stock and even shorter once it hits break in period.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

We put the rubber on the bearing side (top part of the spring) since it's the only side that is in contact with a moving part. Can you please develop a bit more why to put rubber in the perch side as well? I think there is already some kind of OEM rubber where the spring sits

ModfydGTI

Ready to race!
Another important step. I forgot to mention this. I had to watch the DA video to remember this: