GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI w/ VWR springs: noise when turning, please help!

Billyescopetas

Passed Driver's Ed
I was able to re-torque top strut nuts and put new strut bolts. Well...the noise is still there. I'm not willing to disassemble everything at this point to replace strut bearings and mounts if there is no harm to suspension other than this annoying noise. Especially not being 100% sure it would solve the issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear that... At this point I'm completely disappointed seeing that this is more a common issue rather than an isolated case. I don't want to mess around again with the car unless I get a clear direction on which might be next step after replacing the bearings TWICE, together with new top mounts and new springs! (I've got two complete sets of VWR springs...).

I have now two thoughts:

- Someone above installed Tein spring silencers but I don't understand how they can help.. As far as I know they avoid coils to touch each other when the spring is compressed.. not sure how it can help to the noise we have while turning.. and I personally checked the old VWR springs and they had no single sign of coils scratching each other...

- Why would VWR promote their springs to be fully compatible with stock parts if this setup really changes geometry in a way that results in this noise???

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.. at least I don't feel alone with the issue..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
Sorry to hear that, many of us were in the same boat with different springs too.

Many companies are just too eager to ship products without adequate testing. Also, VW is known to change parts mid-generation without mentioning it to anyone. This was the case with the dogbone mounts.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I am resigned to accepting until another solution presents itself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
While it's a painful solution, the 034 mounts have a good chance at fixing your issue. It's a time consuming and expensive swap, I found out the hard way, but you should just keep it in mind if you get fed up. (As I did)

Billyescopetas

Passed Driver's Ed
While it's a painful solution, the 034 mounts have a good chance at fixing your issue. It's a time consuming and expensive swap, I found out the hard way, but you should just keep it in mind if you get fed up. (As I did)

Thanks mate... I agree with you but I think I won't try this right now... not willing to spend more money for a minor modification like the springs.. at least if there is no clear proof that it works :)

What about the spring silencers I exposed before??

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
I had Tein spring silencers on for my initial install with the ECS mounts, in addition to the silencers that came on the Eibach springs, and I still had noise.

Gibberoni

Ready to race!
Wanted to throw it out there that my car on STOCK spring is now making this same noise. I noticed it about 2 weeks ago.

So annoying and embarrassing in the parking lot!

TJN

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S
I'm assuming everyone is still using stock end links. Has anyone tried to swap those out to see if that would cure the noise?

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
I have super-pro end links, there was additional noise when I had the stock links on. The sway bar is bonded to the bushings, so when lowered it applies a lot of preload to the sway bar, causing the rubber bushing to squeak. Especially when wet.

Billyescopetas

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm assuming everyone is still using stock end links. Has anyone tried to swap those out to see if that would cure the noise?

End links don't seem to be the root cause.. I removed them and the noise was still there with no change in tone nor volume

Billyescopetas

Passed Driver's Ed
My car did it with stock springs and lowered H&R , but only on warm days. Its been mid 70's here in LA for the past week or so and no noise at all.

Did the noise first appeared with 100% stock parts and later with H&R as well?

Billyescopetas

Passed Driver's Ed
Wanted to throw it out there that my car on STOCK spring is now making this same noise. I noticed it about 2 weeks ago.

So annoying and embarrassing in the parking lot!

This can't be true... really confused now... what a nightmare!