GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI vs Toyobaru

Devon1

These will be the 2 competing for my money next year (I will test drive the Fiesta ST as well, but I don't know if I could live with the ricer looks...). Note: I've driven a Toyobaru a few times, but never a GTI.

Favouring the GT86/BRZ:
  • RWD for the win.
  • Lighter - weight is the enemy.
  • Probably better road feel and more agile handling.
  • Sexier bod.
  • Lower driving position -no "souped up sedan" ride height.
  • Better manual tranny.
  • Slightly cheaper.

Favouring the GTI mk7 with PP:
  • More practical.
  • Better winter driver.
  • More refined ride characteristics.
  • Interior and exterior engine/exhaust sound much more pleasing.
  • Interior is far more refined and upscale.
  • That engine - 265 torques vs 151, 230 hp vs 200
  • The auto tranny - the BRZ's is very good for a conventional auto; the DSG is great.

Last edited:

.:KindiGTI

Go Kart Champion
Hello Devon,

I think most people here would pick the golf over the toybaru. Mainly because this is a Golf forum :D

TBH I find these 2 cars very different. I don't know the toyobaro very well, but it seems to be purely sport oriented. whereas the golf is more practical and is an all round car. So it really depends on what you want in a car. but I have to say although the GTI is a FWD drive car it has always been (mk5 and mk6) really agile and drives wonderfully with lots of control over the car and the under steer issue is reduced generation by generation to become almost non existent in the MK7 GTI and the MK7 GTI sport package, as per a few magazine reviews the new LSD makes the MK7 corner like a AWD.

Now if you want fun; RWD/manual transmission would definitely be the choice. which you cant find in the GTI. The GTI however has a different kind of fun :D

when it comes to power don't under estimate the GTI, although it is heavy ive seen a magazine comparo where the GTI beat 0-200 the Merc A250 AMG, BMW 125 and the lighter and "more powerful" Ford focus ST ... link below

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?6029448-Autocar-mk7-Golf-GTI-Performance-Ed-vs-Ford-Focus-ST/page5

to me, the GTI has always been the choice. But it all comes to what you really want :)

Last edited:

.:KindiGTI

Go Kart Champion
Also, don't forget to drive both before you choose

gtiw7

Ready to race!
Toyobaro vs GTI? seriously!
I don't have to say much, you'll definitely know the answer once you drive BOTH ;)

don't get me wrong I like the toyobaro and I WAS considering it so seriously instead of waiting for MK7 GTI (I had mk5 GTI), untill I drove a Toyota 86 I've completely changed my mind!! I actually feel sorry for those who were deceived by buying one thinking it's performance machine when it's really nothing more than a "slightly faster" Toyota camry with much MUCH better handling & looks. RWD is good but the car doesn't have enought torque to make a use out of it, So unless you're going to modify it forget about RWD being an advantage :rolleyes: and always remember, "the bitterness of cheap quality will be remembered long after the joy of cheap price is forgotten" ;) I'm not saying it's cheap but it's nowhere near as well-made as a GTI

I would take a mk5 (again) over the Toyobaro :D

Devon1

+ GTI is easier to modify (a mere tune would take the MK7 to 270hp!) without affecting the practicality or reliability
True - I frequent the major Toyobaru forum and it seems you really have to work to get an additional 25 hp out of it - a tune alone is not enough. CAI and catback don't add much either as the car is highly tuned stock. Turbos will always have the advantage here (as long as the engine/drivetrain internals are sturdy enough to handle extra power).

Devon1

Toyobaro vs GTI? seriously!
II WAS considering it so seriously instead of waiting for MK7 GTI (I had mk5 GTI), untill I drove a Toyota 86 I've completely changed my mind!! I actually feel sorry for those who were deceived by buying one thinking it's performance machine when it's really nothing more than a "slightly faster" Toyota camry with much MUCH better handling & looks.
Yes this has been an endless topic of debate about the twins - "Need more powah!" vs. "More fun to drive a slow car fast!". I have not driven the FR-S on the highway so I can't say if the power would be adequate for me or not.

I loved the handling but unfortunately where I live there are very few nice twisty roads to take advantage of that - track days would be where it would shine, but is that enough incentive to give up the refinement I'd get from a GTI the other 98% of the time? Practicality is not a big concern for me - it's going to be whichever puts the biggest grin on my face when driving it that determines my choice.

gtiw7

Ready to race!
those who are saying "Need more powah!" are those who actually test drove it but didn't buy it. and those who are saying "More fun to drive a slow car fast!" are owners who try to justify their wrong decision to (their mind and other people).
After all an owner of a Toyobaro wouldn't be able to live with it if he thinks "Hey I got a new car! it sucks!! :("

at least that's my personal analysis of the situation :D

Devon1

those who are saying "Need more powah!" are those who actually test drove it but didn't buy it. and those who are saying "More fun to drive a slow car fast!" are owners who try to justify their wrong decision to (their mind and other people).
After all an owner of a Toyobaro wouldn't be able to live with it if he thinks "Hey I got a new car! it sucks!! :("

at least that's my personal analysis of the situation :D

Try posting that over on FT86club and see how quickly you're banned :D

gtiw7

Ready to race!
Try posting that over on FT86club and see how quickly you're banned :D

LOL I'm sure it would be quicker than an 86 itself hahahahaa :D good thing it's a Golf Forum here :eek:

I think most people here would pick the golf over the toybaru. Mainly because this is a Golf forum :D

that's why "in order to be fair" ask the same question (GTI vs Toyobaro?) over in FT86club :D they'll sure say a Toyobaro^^^
but what you really want to know is not people's opinion, what matters for you is people's "objective reasons" for picking one against another :D

Stueck9356

Ready to race!
I had a fr-s, and I traded it in for a mk7, still waiting on the GTI to arrive. I sold the fr-s because of what people have posted here. 2% of the time it's a great car.. The other 98% of normal driving it kinda falls short in most respects. Picked the GTI for the premium quality, good price and the sales people were fantastic (much better than the a-holes at mini)

Sent from my GS3 using Tapatalk

SledgehammerOG

Having owned a FRS since Nov 12 and traded it for my GTI Se/DSG I can tell you stock vs stock I gave up some handling with the FRS. I gained more power, better MPG's and more space all around. The FRS is torque less and worse yet has a built in torque dip under 4k rpm its the friggin worse under that RPM. Minivans and soccer moms can will will rape you from a light if you don't launch hard. Its sad...

Handling wise the FRS is awesome until you realize you need another 50hp to have some fun with it. Its got more chassis than power... Now that my GTI is APR'd with a flash, its not even close LOL.

vdubpwr

Ready to race!
LOL toyobaru

1.slow
2.toyota LOL
3.Interior is horrendous
4.Your buying a non turbo boxster enigne, thats inside a scion...

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
Both cars are fun in different ways, if youre more into tracking autocrossing etc, the toyobaru is a better platfrom due to rwd, low center gravity and lighter weight. Its not practical if you carry more than 1 passenger say you decide to go somewhere with friends into city or something.

If you want a fun commuter car that you can occasionally take it to mountain roads, load up stuff with seats down, carry people, gti is a better choice. You can do the half the things with toyobaru of course

BTDUBS

The Interceptor
Car(s)
Fiat 500 Abarth
Having test driven the hell out of both, I can say the GTI is 95% as good to drive with none of the compromises.