GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI vs Mustang vs Alltrack vs Civic SI

BigCanoe

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I need want a new, second car. I sold my last GTI to Carvana but I have the itch again. My other car is a 2008 4Runner V8. I usually travel alone but sometimes take my two dogs with me. I commute 2 days a week, 65 miles round trip. My budget is 25k. Here is my "short" list.

1. 2017 Volkswagen GTI SE with DSG : I love the seats, the transmission and the sunroof. Its fun to drive but also does good on regular gas. FWD is good for all types of weather. It has an accessible back seat which could be handy. I have owned a GTI before. I like the stereo in the 18 better but otherwise the 17 is fine.
  2. 2017 Ford Mustang Ecoboost with Automatic: I love the color. Cooled seats would be nice for the heat around here in NC. It actually sounds really good for a 4cylinder. RWD might be more playful. I have owned an older Mustang GT before. I have not driven this yet but I have it on transfer coming to CarMax.
  3. 2019+ Honda Civic SI with Manual: I struggle with the stereo/climate in this car. It feels more raw and connected than the other two. The highway MPG is really good. I assume it would last a long time, are Honda's still reliable? I havent owned a Civic before. I drove a 2017 and it was fun, but felt less put together and more raw than the GTI.
  4. 2017+ Volkswagen Golf Alltrack: I have seen these online and they look cool. It has a 1.8 not a 2.0 but otherwise seems similar to a GTI in style. I like the AWD and the wagon seems really useful for outings, carrying my dogs, etc. I have owned a GTI and a Golf, so I feel this would be familiar. I havent driven one yet but they seem cool on paper.
Is any one car a better performer than the others? More comfortable? More reliable? Better on gas? More modifiable? More trackable? Thanks for your input!

BigCanoe

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Ya, I have some strange attraction to #4. I know its slower but they are a vanishing breed, which I think is kinda cool. I have seen them with 6 speed manual too. I love the big sunroof but I think they leak, often. I bet I could buff up that 1.8 so its not too slow!

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Ya, I have some strange attraction to #4. I know its slower but they are a vanishing breed, which I think is kinda cool. I have seen them with 6 speed manual too. I love the big sunroof but I think they leak, often. I bet I could buff up that 1.8 so its not too slow!

Don't let the 1.8 put you off. You can slap on any turbo that fits the 2.0. A simple tune really wakes the stock engine up. The extra space is really useful, the car drives great.

Ace92028

Go Kart Newbie
I have driven 1,2 3 before. I haven't driven the alltrack. I didn't like the mustang because I think its meant to be a V8 muscle car. The civic I feel like it had a delay in response after shifting, almost a half second that the rpm just goes up before the clutch reengages? The GTI was way more responsive and better interior. I would get 1 or 4. The honda civic has issues with gas leaking and diluting your oil. You could get a non turbo model and avoid that.

BigCanoe

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Good point. I cant decide if the extra utility of the Alltrack (space and AWD) would make up for the loss of fun for the GTI. You cant go wrong with GTI :)

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
You can make a Alltrack handle better and go faster. You can't give the GTI AWD, or make it bigger.
But it's only bigger behind the rear seats, so is that really a benefit unless he has large dogs that he keeps back there? My dog rides in the rear seat, so it's not an issue for me. I'd start the whole "you don't need awd in NC" thing, but I think we've flogged that deceased equine sufficiently already (although I am actively shopping for a horse hide jacket in my other open window.)

BigCanoe

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
When I am running 500HP in muh Alltrack, the AWD will help me win drag races! Otherwise I probably dont neeeeeed....it. But I do some light offroading every day (I live on a sand and gravel road).

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Okay, Alltrak is sounding like the weiner. The Civic motors like to explode and while they drive great, they sure are hard to look at inside and out, plus they're huge, as large as our old F30 BMW 3er.

BigCanoe

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Yea I think I have definately narrowed it down to the Alltrack or the (another) GTI....I have a JB4 sitting on my shelf waiting.