GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI vs ‘21 Ford Exploder Platinum

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Accidentally cut off some kid in a new Explorer who later pulled up right next to me at a light. I knew he wanted “revenge” and was gonna gun it when the light turned green so I had my rpms up, ready to go. Light turned green, I feathered quickly up to 3K, floored it and by the time I was at 6Kish shifting into second he was half a bus length ahead of me and was at the next light by the time I was in third.

Next light I tried harder and he was gone like a hole in the sky opened up and teleported him away. Engine was completely quiet, almost like an EV. I’ve taken older Mustangs with my setup and definitely Hondas, Subies etc but what exactly are they putting in new SUVs these days? That thing completely ignored big heavy soccer mom truck physics.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
I didn’t see any ST badge but it was black on black. All I saw was a chrome “Platinum” badge under the rear glass. I think even if it were the 300hp, that’s what my car should be near with stage 2 93 eqt ots. I’ve definitely taken or at least kept up with ST Focuses no problem.

Last edited:

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Explorer ST also has a few tunes out there that bump up power rather nicely. My wife's Aviator is scheduled for production next month and I am considering one of the 5 Star tunes for it.

Last edited:

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
It's the small turbo, he needs a bigger turbo, we all do. :(

That thing probably has like 10 gears, like all new auto trannies - can't compete with that from a dig.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
My wife had a prior generation Explorer Sport with a stage 1 tune. Real sleeper, and AWD got it off the line pretty good.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
Yeah it's funny. We all talk about tunes around here like no other company has tunes or that other cars we encounter out there aren't tuned as well. I think almost all "performance" oriented cars have some type of tune available for them. If we need a tune just to compete with "stock" level higher performance cars, imagine if they're tuned as well? Our tune gets us closer to their stock. Their tune gets them away from our tune.

RobertJG25

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf 1.4 TSI
On a serious note; are the 6-speed manuals geared as well for launches as the DSGs? I wonder if that impacted things, I imagine even if he had the 10-speed auto the shift times are pretty decent. My 8-speed auto reacts a lot faster than I would expect for being what it is

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Explorer ST also has a few tunes out there that bump up power rather nicely. My wife's Aviator is scheduled for production next month and I am considering one of the 5 Star tunes for it.

Even if it was the ST you should've left him in the dust from a roll. Sounds like you were losing due to the dig
Yeah my friends wife’s ST just got a 91 tune on it with the stock IC, it’s heavy and awd so it’s a straight hook off the line.