GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI Vortex XL Reliability/Fueling recommendations?

lilbreddy

Car(s)
2020 VW GTI
Hi everybody,
I ordered a Vortex XL for my GTI, but I am still looking for fueling solutions. What fuel pumps are recommended? I'd prefer not to have to option for the Torqbyte controller. I'm currently FBO with autotech hpfp internals. I am also unsure if I should go for the upgraded MAP and PUT sensors.
I want my car to be reliable, what is everyone's take on the reliability of these cars with a big turbo?

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
They're very reliable, as long as you take care of it and do the required maintenance. If you want to take your turbo over 30 psi, then you'll have to upgrade both sensors. And why do people cheap out and try to avoid getting a Torqbyte when doing fuel mods? In my opinion, it's a no-brainer to get one.

lilbreddy

Car(s)
2020 VW GTI
They're very reliable, as long as you take care of it and do the required maintenance. If you want to take your turbo over 30 psi, then you'll have to upgrade both sensors. And why do people cheap out and try to avoid getting a Torqbyte when doing fuel mods? In my opinion, it's a no-brainer to get one.
I'm a noob with fueling upgrades tbh. In what instances will I require the PM4? If I opt for the EQT fuel pump will I need the controller? What about if I only got a Wahbro 525?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Hi everybody,
I ordered a Vortex XL for my GTI, but I am still looking for fueling solutions. What fuel pumps are recommended? I'd prefer not to have to option for the Torqbyte controller. I'm currently FBO with autotech hpfp internals. I am also unsure if I should go for the upgraded MAP and PUT sensors.
I want my car to be reliable, what is everyone's take on the reliability of these cars with a big turbo?
Welcome to the forum. What power are you trying to obtain?

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
If you are "only" doing pump gas, I still recommend MPI. Especially if your engine is lower mileage.

You have to pay extra for an MPI tune. Do it once. If you switch to e85 you will at least have a starting point for MPI. If want pump + e85 tunes, that doubles the cost.

Pay for the advantage now. You can increase boost for a minor cost increase due to map increase for sensors.

Daily Driver

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
PR mpi 925cc
pagparts 525 pump

sell autotech, put oem hpfp back in

I'm actually in talks with Pagparts we are looking to do some work to have ready hopefully by next year. I'm writing down notes on my build. I'm already pricing out MPI with LPFP might Upgrade to TVS DQ500 DSG kit, also looked at Pagparts Turbos while I was at the shop. They had a MK7 GTI getting it's motor build with Pagparts custom Turbo, looked sick!

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Is autotech that bad? My friend has one, and it failed on him immediately.
No it’s just unnecessary with the MPI and LPFP.

The vast majority of the time the autotech HPFP fail because of poor install. It’s imperative that the OEM pump is free of any dirt/ gunk when reassembling with the new internals.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
You already have the answers for 500+ horsepower. As far as reliability I have read a few having fueling issues once going LPFP and MPI. If you are okay being in the mid to upper 400 hp range it can be done with HPFP only and run without issue.

MKSeven

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti, duh.
No it’s just unnecessary with the MPI and LPFP.

The vast majority of the time the autotech HPFP fail because of poor install. It’s imperative that the OEM pump is free of any dirt/ gunk when reassembling with the new internals.
Ahh