GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI to Golf R?

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Honestly I think the Aztek looks pretty good...

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Thanks to all for the feedback! I think I’m convinced the R is the way to go. I’m going to start test driving soon and look for a good deal. Problem is the used car market is really strong/high right now. I might have to wait until the Mk8 gets released in the fall and hopefully there will be lots of people looking to move out of their Mk 7.5 R
I'm probably the odd man out here, but I test drove an R and a GTI back to back before choosing the gti. I am friends with the dealer so I got a chance to drive both on track. My goals were to make a very fast track car, and I personally found the gti far more capable. Outside of starting from a standstill (which we never-ever do anymore) the gti was faster around the track all else being equal (tires/brakes). Since then I have significantly modified it, found all of its limits (they are certainly not traction or gearing on track), and decided to go for a dedicated race car because the mk7 was just too fragile and expensive to run at 10/10ths.

Now I'm in the process of returning the thing to as stock as I can tolerate. I recently drove an rs3, s3, s4, M2, and M3 to determine if I'd ditch the gti for any of them. Compared to its current state, all of those cars felt numb, slow, and very limited when putting around town. On the highway they're sure fast when you floor it, but off the factory floor only the M2 actually turns when you tell it to. All had better interiors by far, but I think that's also a function of riding on coilovers for years and turning my gti into a rattle trap from all the mods.

Unfortunately I haven't driven anything yet that makes me want to replace the gti since it's paid off and has the up to date tech (no android auto means no car buyo, Porsche and BMW... Figure it out already)... The M2 and the panamera turbo are the only two cars I'd take over the gti for driving fun, but interior wise they are frustrating.

I've thought about the R again recently, but I think the s3 is far better looking and has a significantly better interior. Also the lack of sunroof is a deal breaker :/.

I'm excited to see what comes up in the next few years. The arteon honestly looks a lot more promising given it's a fat golf R and better looking, but for the money there are better cars. If a fully loaded arteon can be found for the 25k range and <20k mi, then it would be a very good buy over an R.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
I'm probably the odd man out here, but I test drove an R and a GTI back to back before choosing the gti. I am friends with the dealer so I got a chance to drive both on track. My goals were to make a very fast track car, and I personally found the gti far more capable. Outside of starting from a standstill (which we never-ever do anymore) the gti was faster around the track all else being equal (tires/brakes). Since then I have significantly modified it, found all of its limits (they are certainly not traction or gearing on track), and decided to go for a dedicated race car because the mk7 was just too fragile and expensive to run at 10/10ths.

Now I'm in the process of returning the thing to as stock as I can tolerate. I recently drove an rs3, s3, s4, M2, and M3 to determine if I'd ditch the gti for any of them. Compared to its current state, all of those cars felt numb, slow, and very limited when putting around town. On the highway they're sure fast when you floor it, but off the factory floor only the M2 actually turns when you tell it to. All had better interiors by far, but I think that's also a function of riding on coilovers for years and turning my gti into a rattle trap from all the mods.

Unfortunately I haven't driven anything yet that makes me want to replace the gti since it's paid off and has the up to date tech (no android auto means no car buyo, Porsche and BMW... Figure it out already)... The M2 and the panamera turbo are the only two cars I'd take over the gti for driving fun, but interior wise they are frustrating.

I've thought about the R again recently, but I think the s3 is far better looking and has a significantly better interior. Also the lack of sunroof is a deal breaker :/.

I'm excited to see what comes up in the next few years. The arteon honestly looks a lot more promising given it's a fat golf R and better looking, but for the money there are better cars. If a fully loaded arteon can be found for the 25k range and <20k mi, then it would be a very good buy over an R.
You're talking about some pretty expensive cars here. My buddy has an RS3, and I'd take that over my R any day of the week. Very fast car, not sure what you mean by numb and slow. Either you have a race car or a daily driver. Most people's modded cars fall somewhere in between. Hard to compare the two. You can turn anything into a race car with enough $$$.

So, are you looking for a race car or a daily? That's really the question. If your GTI is the daily and that's what you are trying to replace, then there's your answer. Go drive a Porsche Macan Turbo. Perfect daily if you ask me.

Last edited:

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
The decision to go R or GTI is made easier after someone launches you in a tuned R. I wasn't all that impressed with my car during a test drive and the haldex didn't really matter until I was tuned.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
You're talking about some pretty expensive cars here. My buddy has an RS3, and I'd take that over my R any day of the week. Very fast car, not sure what you mean by numb and slow. Either you have a race car or a daily driver. Most people's modded cars fall somewhere in between. Hard to compare the two. You can turn anything into a race car with enough $$$.

So, are you looking for a race car or a daily? That's really the question. If your GTI is the daily and that's what you are trying to replace, then there's your answer. Go drive a Porsche Macan Turbo. Perfect daily if you ask me.
I mean that once I modified the gti to a "clubsport" kind of level (not gti clubsport name but more traditional meaning of the word), the true street cars all felt numb. It's partly a function of alignment, and partly a function of soft mounts.

I drove a macan turbo a while back when we were shopping for the wife. It was a fine people hauler, but I don't highway drive or spend more than 13 mins behind the wheel in one sitting unless I'm towing or going on a trip. In those cases I take the wife's Q7. The macan overall just wasn't fun. The cayenne is actually more engaging despite the weight and size. It drives like a hot hatch where the macan drives like a fast suv.

I'd like to replace my daily because I'm too busy otherwise to spend a ton of time demodding it... I just want to get rid of it and all the stock parts so I can go to a vehicle that feels as fun to turn, but doesn't make me cringe every time an expansion joist over a highway or a pothole comes into view. Ideally something more environment friendly and a bit more rear leg room for the toddler would be the nice to haves. The M2 was the closest contender so far, but no android auto = laaaaame. When I can't be bothered to go tow the racecar to the track or I want to hit a late afternoon track session, I'd like to take this car out and not be annoyed that it's a street car on the track (which means toe zero all around, decent enough brakes, and won't go into limp mode on me). Unfortunately this last requirement basically means it's Porsche or nothing :/. My buddy has an M6 that I thought would be okay, but 5 min on track and that thing is in limp mode.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
I mean that once I modified the gti to a "clubsport" kind of level (not gti clubsport name but more traditional meaning of the word), the true street cars all felt numb. It's partly a function of alignment, and partly a function of soft mounts.

I drove a macan turbo a while back when we were shopping for the wife. It was a fine people hauler, but I don't highway drive or spend more than 13 mins behind the wheel in one sitting unless I'm towing or going on a trip. In those cases I take the wife's Q7. The macan overall just wasn't fun. The cayenne is actually more engaging despite the weight and size. It drives like a hot hatch where the macan drives like a fast suv.

I'd like to replace my daily because I'm too busy otherwise to spend a ton of time demodding it... I just want to get rid of it and all the stock parts so I can go to a vehicle that feels as fun to turn, but doesn't make me cringe every time an expansion joist over a highway or a pothole comes into view. Ideally something more environment friendly and a bit more rear leg room for the toddler would be the nice to haves. The M2 was the closest contender so far, but no android auto = laaaaame. When I can't be bothered to go tow the racecar to the track or I want to hit a late afternoon track session, I'd like to take this car out and not be annoyed that it's a street car on the track (which means toe zero all around, decent enough brakes, and won't go into limp mode on me). Unfortunately this last requirement basically means it's Porsche or nothing :/. My buddy has an M6 that I thought would be okay, but 5 min on track and that thing is in limp mode.

What about the M4's? Have you tried one of those on the track?

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
What about the M4's? Have you tried one of those on the track?
The M3/M4 are better behaved on track the M2C. Marginally lighter and a longer wheelbase. Of course all three have S55 issues, primarily around the non keyed crank hub failures. They do seem to have fewer cooling issues than previous turbo M cars, which were pretty weak in the cooling department. I hate the size of these cars, we had a regular, non M 3er and it was a boat, but the M3 does fix some of that with better bushings, shocks and the proper lsd.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion

My other buddy has a Long Beach Blue M2. I've driven it as well. It's fun, a lot of fun. But I wouldn't buy one.

I've said it before - If the RS3 or RS4 sportbacks were available in the US, I'd have one in my garage right now.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I have not tried an M4 on track yet, but I hear they are verrrrrrrry heavy on the outside brakes due to how the traction control "works" when off/M. Might be a good option for me actually since I'd only do 2 or 3 days a year with it + autox, and I doubt I'd need more than 2 sets of pads yearly...

The real question is have they finally put android auto into it?

It's hard to beat how well that M2 turns. I've heard the CS version is even better, but the lower end M2 I drove definitely had zero issues going where I wanted it to go, even when pushing it past the limit. The rear seat was abysmal though... There's absolutely no way my kid's convertible car seat is fitting into that thing. NO WAY. And no android auto in the one I drove :/.

slipperywhenwet

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks to all for the feedback! I think I’m convinced the R is the way to go. I’m going to start test driving soon and look for a good deal. Problem is the used car market is really strong/high right now. I might have to wait until the Mk8 gets released in the fall and hopefully there will be lots of people looking to move out of their Mk 7.5 R
Smart move. I think that the um...polarizing...looks of the Mk8 in pictures caused a lot of people to snatch up the Mk7/7.5, but now that we've seen more pictures and videos of the Mk8, and it's prettier in person, people will be hoping into it. Especially with the Mk8 R having that incredibly sick rear diff and extra hp.

I, personally, would love to take one for a rip and see just how clever it is, because the reports are coming back pretty fantastic, aside from the completely buttonless interior.

Got Boost

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Alright I think you guys are convincing me! I’ve owned the GTI for 3 years and bought it used with cash, so owe nothing. I have put some money into which I know I won’t get back, but I have the itch for more power and think I might be better off getting the R as I’m already having traction issues with the GTI.

I drive it less than 5000 kms per year so fuel economy isn’t a big deal for me.

The one thing I constantly come across when comparing the two is that the GTI is lighter and more fun in corners. Is that something you guys notice/miss going to the R?
DO IT!!!! I’m about two weeks post the decision your contemplating. Owned a 2911 6M GTI, and loved it. Bought it last year for cheap and was starting to throw mods at it. Stage 1, intake, exhaust. “Damm this thing won’t won’t hook for beans.” Car wasn’t taken care of by past owner so I was playing catch-up. That and my desire to add more power got me thinking R. Then my GTI got the common low oil pressure problem and I REALLY got thinking R. Looking around I found a 2017 DSG DCC car only an hour away for for a decent price. Test drive it and fell in love INSTANTLY. TOTALLY different vehicle, fast, and zero tire spin. Also went from two doors to four, which makes us use it more as a family, as my daughter didn’t like climbing in the back of the GTI. Yes, it is heavier compared to the GTI. I can feel it when I drive it. However in the curves the AWD traction more than makes up for any losses due to it weight. I’ll admit that I do miss the third pedal at times, but those times are few and the DSG is way better than any other auto trans made. Just recommend getting a low mileage R if you go DSG so you can make sure the trans is serviced. The R I picked up had only 40k, and I did the DSG service the next week. My biggest gripe.... No sunroof. VW left them out of the Rs saying that they weakened the vehicles structure. Probably true, but it’s should be an option in my opinion.