GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI to Golf R?

Hyperlite

Go Kart Newbie
Looking for feedback from anyone that went from a GTI to a Golf R. I currently own a 2015 GTI PP stage 1 and the car is fantastic but my biggest gripe is when the road is even damp the car struggles for traction.

For those that made the switch, are you happy? Any regrets?

I absolutely don’t need an R, but I get a twinge of envy anytime I pass one. I also have aspirations of big power mods down the road and feel like the R is a much better platform for that.

Any feedback would be appreciated! (And yes I tried to do a search but didn’t find much for feedback of people that have owned both).

Wass

Passed Driver's Ed
I went from a 2016 GTI to a 2018 R, mainly for the AWD. However, the car has been flawless after 42,000 miles. I had some problems right off the bat with the GTI. The R is a better car, and you will notice the difference on the first test drive.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
How long have you owned the 2015 GTI? If you’ve owned it for a while and owe little to nothing on it and have some cash to put down, it could be worth your while for the upgrade. You have a 6 year old car that has the worst infotainment of all available MK7’s. In your case I totally understand wanting to upgrade, and think you should do it if you can swing it!

I “upgraded” from a 2015 GTI S DSG non-PP to a 2019 Alltrack SE 6MT w/ DAP and LP last year and I do not miss FWD. Got an APR Plus tune on the 1.8 and it now makes 210AWHP/250AWTQ, so about stock GTI power.

Now that I have AWD, I’m fiending for more power and plan to mod it to stock R power. If your biggest gripe is the traction and you’d enjoy a wagon, Alltracks and Golf Sportwagens are a great base to work off for building your own R for less. If you’re into that sort of thing.

Last edited:

GolfR-BA

Passed Driver's Ed
I went from a 15 Autobahn to a 19 R. Loved the GTI and find the R better in every way except fuel mileage. The digital dash, auto-hold, power and traction are the biggest differences.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
I did the switch (stg2 '15 gti non pp 3-door). No regrets at all. It's an upgrade in many ways.

Hyperlite

Go Kart Newbie
Alright I think you guys are convincing me! I’ve owned the GTI for 3 years and bought it used with cash, so owe nothing. I have put some money into which I know I won’t get back, but I have the itch for more power and think I might be better off getting the R as I’m already having traction issues with the GTI.

I drive it less than 5000 kms per year so fuel economy isn’t a big deal for me.

The one thing I constantly come across when comparing the two is that the GTI is lighter and more fun in corners. Is that something you guys notice/miss going to the R?

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
I'm in a similar boat.
Have a 2015 S that I will have had for 6 years this May.
The car has been rock solid, but I'm ready for something else (this is the longest I have ever owned the same car by a long shot).
I know for sure I would want to move to the R (if I decide to stay in the Golf family)...but the big question for me is keep the stick, or succumb to flappy paddles....

FB-GTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW GTI -> Golf R
I've had both with 6-speed DSG, prefer the GTI gearing to R. Got the R for the grip when accelerating. As far as the rest goes there's not much difference that I notice.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I've had both with 6-speed DSG, prefer the GTI gearing to R. Got the R for the grip when accelerating. As far as the rest goes there's not much difference that I notice.

wondering why you prefer taller gears over shorter gears when you have a transmission that is capable of shifting in a thousandth of a second. Shorter gears = more fun, more powerful acceleration. Especially since the R has the IS38 the shorter gears help make up for the reduced spool compared to IS20.

2Germans

Passed Driver's Ed
I went from a 2016 GTI 6-speed to a 2019 R DSG. I loved my GTI, but i find the R better in every way. No regrets at all!

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Not missing that 3rd pedal?
I went from a Mk6 GTI manual to a MK7 GTI manual to a MK7 GTI DSG and back to a 6MT Alltrack because I was not a fan of the programming on the DQ250. I’ve had the opportunity to drive the DQ381 MK7.5s and, if the 2019 Alltrack I bought last year came with the 7-speed over the 6-speed, I would have gone with the 7-speed DSG over a 6MT even though I knew this may be my last opportunity in life to purchase a manual station wagon.