GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI to Golf R?

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Yeah, the is38 is better for sure. I literally rip onto onramps and have zero issue with traction, but I run good tires...

Awd actually does not help that much on a racetrack in this platform unless you're doing drag. The additional weight hurts, especially on the brakes and turn in.

I run summer tires year round, so I get ripping onto onramps. But from a double left turn lane onto the highway, or turning right onto a divided highway with traffic barreling down at 55 mph +, I can get off the line with zero wheelspin, even in the wet--something that a GTI isn't going to do.

I agree if you're looking for a track car the GTI is a better value and the lighter weight is a big benefit.

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
Full blown awd is good on the track, Haldex is questionable and adds even more heat related issues to the MQB which already has plenty of cooling issues in the simplest forms. If were were talking about an S4 with 40f/60r quattro and the ability to send it all to the back with the mechanical sport differential versus a fwd A4, I could get on board, and I would have certainly paid extra for the quattro car in that case. But we're talking about a car that's 90f/10r until there's slip and then having a max transfer of 50%. I wanted to like it, but I didn't feel like the added weight was of benefit in the sunbelt. And you guys know we can buy an IS38 too, right?

They're both great cars, I like seeing R's, I like seeing GTI's and I love seeing the wagons. Hell, what I'd be most excited for would be a rwd Golf, call it the Flog!

I can agree though that I love seeing all types of Golfs out in the wild. In fact, if we all owned GTIs it would be a bore. I can't say it enough how much I love seeing the civilian golfs out in the wild. It makes me feel extra special with the GTI trim, lol.

Though yeah, let's not even get into looks though. My wife still has troubling wrapping her head around an R being a higher level than GTI. Every time she sees one, she thinks it looks like a base Golf. I tell her no, it's supposed to be cleaner than the GTI, thus the lack of "Red". She thinks it just looks too plain. Granted they're typically oncoming when we/she notices them so she doesn't catch the rear quad tip exhaust but if you have to explain something that much about a 40K+ car, it might not be doing something right in the looks department. Of course that is all opinionated.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Yeah, AWD only helps on a race track. I never make a right turn onto a busy 4 lane divided highway and enjoy having traction.

And the tighter gearing and turbo that doesn't run out of steam at 5K definitely aren't worth anything 🤣

yeah he’s also talking about HIS GTI which he insists puts 500+ WHP down “without issue”

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
Terrible time to be buying an R. My local dealer (which calls/emails inquiring if I'd sell mine 2 or 3x a week) emailed me today letting me know they've got a 2019 manual for like 43k.

Hyperlite

Go Kart Newbie
Ya for sure. Definitely gunna wait it out for a while. Good news is I still really like my GTI, so I’m not desperate to get out of it. I just know that as much as I like my GTI, I would LOVE an R.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Terrible time to be buying an R. My local dealer (which calls/emails inquiring if I'd sell mine 2 or 3x a week) emailed me today letting me know they've got a 2019 manual for like 43k.
I unsubscribed this week lol, we'll see if it sticks...

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
I unsubscribed this week lol, we'll see if it sticks...

it doesn’t. Ive tried it. Also picked up a few of the calls and told them I’m not selling and they should remove me from the database or list or whatever and they still call. I did enjoy the latest message they left telling me it was a great time to upgrade to a new Jetta. Going in on Saturday for a little warranty stuff, wondering if I’ll leave with another offer.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
it doesn’t. Ive tried it. Also picked up a few of the calls and told them I’m not selling and they should remove me from the database or list or whatever and they still call. I did enjoy the latest message they left telling me it was a great time to upgrade to a new Jetta. Going in on Saturday for a little warranty stuff, wondering if I’ll leave with another offer.
Ask them about extending your car's warranty while you're there. Head them off at the pass.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I've only got 1 call so far, but I couldn't help myself and I laughed at her. Maybe I just need to respond ROFL in the email.

Boje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I've just made the switch from a relatively heavily-modded GTI (2015, Autobahn, 6MT) to an R (2018, DSG), which I did because, and only because, I totaled the GTI and damaged my hand in the process. It's unclear whether I will be able to safely drive a manual again due to the injury to my left hand (I wouldn't have considered a DSG otherwise), so I needed to go with a DSG car, and for me, a DSG in a FWD GTI isn't something I can quite get my head around (personal take, I know). I felt like if I had to go DSG, I should go R.

So, I went with an R. I've been driving it (stock so far) for about two weeks and to me it's a completely different car. It feels much more solid, more capable, nicer, if you like. More premium. But, I miss the GTI. Sorely. The R with the DSG feels like much less skill is required to drive it well. My GTI was putting down over 400lb/ft of torque at something like 2500rpm, with a manual gearbox, all through the front wheels; driving it well felt like it required a lot of engagement with the car, a lot of attention, and a fair bit of skill. I really miss the quick spool of the IS20 daily driving in NYC, I miss the lightweight, tossable feel of the GTI (even though it was an Autobahn), I miss the sunroof, I miss fitting a full-sized Neuspeed spare wheel and tire under the trunk on road trips, I miss the fog lights for illuminating NYC potholes at night as well as on foggy backroads, and I actually miss the low-res MIB on the 2015 and in the spec I had it, the complete lack of driver aids; it felt like a driver's car to me. The R feels like a very capable, no-drama grand tourer, which is great and I think I'll learn to enjoy it. But I'm a bit envious when I see a GTI whip around a corner. And, I really miss changing gears myself, but I won't get into that, haha. I also miss the better mileage around town (so far I'm averaging about the same on proper roads, but about 7-9mpg daily driving around Brooklyn in the R. I got much better than that in the GTI).

I do like the understated look of the R. Everyone in a tinted Acura or Honda or whatever used to want to race me (even on Brooklyn streets, what is that about?) in the GTI. Pretty much no-one tries that on in the R and I don't miss it one bit.

Just my two cents, two weeks into R ownership. I realize this is all very personal and someone else might disagree with all of the above. If I get full ability to grip the wheel with my left hand back, I wouldn't be at all surprised if I give up the R and get back in a 6MT GTI.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I've just made the switch from a relatively heavily-modded GTI (2015, Autobahn, 6MT) to an R (2018, DSG), which I did because, and only because, I totaled the GTI and damaged my hand in the process. It's unclear whether I will be able to safely drive a manual again due to the injury to my left hand (I wouldn't have considered a DSG otherwise), so I needed to go with a DSG car, and for me, a DSG in a FWD GTI isn't something I can quite get my head around (personal take, I know). I felt like if I had to go DSG, I should go R.

So, I went with an R. I've been driving it (stock so far) for about two weeks and to me it's a completely different car. It feels much more solid, more capable, nicer, if you like. More premium. But, I miss the GTI. Sorely. The R with the DSG feels like much less skill is required to drive it well. My GTI was putting down over 400lb/ft of torque at something like 2500rpm, with a manual gearbox, all through the front wheels; driving it well felt like it required a lot of engagement with the car, a lot of attention, and a fair bit of skill. I really miss the quick spool of the IS20 daily driving in NYC, I miss the lightweight, tossable feel of the GTI (even though it was an Autobahn), I miss the sunroof, I miss fitting a full-sized Neuspeed spare wheel and tire under the trunk on road trips, I miss the fog lights for illuminating NYC potholes at night as well as on foggy backroads, and I actually miss the low-res MIB on the 2015 and in the spec I had it, the complete lack of driver aids; it felt like a driver's car to me. The R feels like a very capable, no-drama grand tourer, which is great and I think I'll learn to enjoy it. But I'm a bit envious when I see a GTI whip around a corner. And, I really miss changing gears myself, but I won't get into that, haha. I also miss the better mileage around town (so far I'm averaging about the same on proper roads, but about 7-9mpg daily driving around Brooklyn in the R. I got much better than that in the GTI).

I do like the understated look of the R. Everyone in a tinted Acura or Honda or whatever used to want to race me (even on Brooklyn streets, what is that about?) in the GTI. Pretty much no-one tries that on in the R and I don't miss it one bit.

Just my two cents, two weeks into R ownership. I realize this is all very personal and someone else might disagree with all of the above. If I get full ability to grip the wheel with my left hand back, I wouldn't be at all surprised if I give up the R and get back in a 6MT GTI.

Interesting take. Haven't driven an R, but I know what you're talking about with engagement. It's not just about shifting manually. It also takes a very delicate right foot to balance traction with maximum acceleration. Getting it right is very rewarding.

A2R

Go Kart Newbie
I went the opposite way, 2016 Golf R DSG APR stage 1, to a (car got totaled) 2019 VW GTI DSG to a 2019 Honda Civic Si and just bought a 2020 VW GTI

The golf R was a much higher build quality (Germany/Mexico) and I miss AWD sometimes. Better fit and finish, it honestly felt like it was higher quality materials. More solid imho. Plus I believe the golf Rs have a much higher resale value.

But over 95% or higher of the time with proper tires (summer/snow) the GTI is adequate.

I also feel like the GTI is more nimble and tossable…

However I want to upgrade in a couple years when the MK8s are in the second or third model year. Hopefully once they have had a face lift.

You can’t go wrong either way IMO, If you live in Seattle or somewhere with a ton of snow then I would definitely say go with the R, if not the GTI is fine.

Cheers

A2

Last edited:

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
I went the opposite way, 2016 Golf R DSG APR stage 1, to a (car got totaled) 2019 VW GTI DSG to a 2019 Honda Civic Si and just bought a 2020 VW GTI

The golf R was a much higher build quality (Germany/Mexico) and I miss AWD sometimes. Better fit and finish, it honestly felt like it was higher quality materials. More solid imho. Plus I believe the golf Rs have a much higher resale value.

But over 95% or higher of the time with proper tires (summer/snow) the GTI is adequate.

I also feel like the GTI is more nimble and tossable…

However I want to upgrade in a couple years when the MK8s are in the second or third model year. Hopefully once they have had a face lift.

You can’t go wrong either way IMO, If you live in Seattle or somewhere with a ton of snow then I would definitely say go with the R, if not the GTI is fine.

Cheers

A2
I mentioned the difference in build quality in another thread and got knocked for it, hard. Someone flat out called bullshit.

This point has come up many times. There's something to be said about the German made cars. They feel different.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I mentioned the difference in build quality in another thread and got knocked for it, hard. Someone flat out called bullshit.

This point has come up many times. There's something to be said about the German made cars. They feel different.

Yeah I’ve been around these forums since 2013 and I’ve seen what you’re describing play out enough. Everyone jumps down someone’s throat the moment they mention build quality and Mexico vs Germany.

in those people’s defense, my German/Wolfsburg-built MK6 GTI was a lemon. Timing chain slipped @ 30K, Grenaded top end. TOB failed @ 40K, VW said it’s my fault. I just drove on the fucked up clutch till 46, 47K miles when the water pump failed and I was like okay this car is a POS and I traded it for a then-new 2015 MK7 2-door GTI SE 6MT W/ LP (no PP). Not a problem with the Mexican-built MK7, even after I careened into a highway exit curb going too fast on stock tires etc.