GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI to Golf R?

MasterBlaster

Car(s)
Golf R MK VII
Plus don't you have to pay for map updates?
Hmm. Not sure. I bought my 2017 late last year certified pre-owned at 15k miles. Haven't really used the native map to figure that out. I did have Premium Plus 2017 and 2018 Audi S3's (long story) and never had to pay for map/system updates. Only had to pay for the wifi/data plan. But updates were free, at least over wifi.

Hyperlite

Go Kart Newbie
Just found a used 7.5R in the spec I want that was traded into a GM dealership for a new Camaro. Service records indicate a small accident claim from a rear ender that had a $5000 repair cost. I imagine this bill would be mostly for bodywork? Would be pretty easy to reach $5K on just cosmetic repair. The car was also brought into VW because the cruise control light was on. This appears to not be fixed yet. Lastly the inspection indicates that the car is modified, and there is an APR badge on the back.

Would it be worth trying to grab this car if I could get it for a steal? Or run away from it? Does APR tune/downpipe etc void the entire car’s warranty? ie the cruise control? Or just engine related warranty?

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Just found a used 7.5R in the spec I want that was traded into a GM dealership for a new Camaro. Service records indicate a small accident claim from a rear ender that had a $5000 repair cost. I imagine this bill would be mostly for bodywork? Would be pretty easy to reach $5K on just cosmetic repair. The car was also brought into VW because the cruise control light was on. This appears to not be fixed yet. Lastly the inspection indicates that the car is modified, and there is an APR badge on the back.

Would it be worth trying to grab this car if I could get it for a steal? Or run away from it? Does APR tune/downpipe etc void the entire car’s warranty? ie the cruise control? Or just engine related warranty?

I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole, but that's me.

It was likely tuned and has accident history. The dealerships think they can ask full KBB on the car even if there's accident history. You are going to take a hit on the Carfax alone. You'll loose money, so you'll want to keep the car for a good while.... issue is, if you run into any kind of problem you won't be able to recoup what you payed for it on the private market due to the history on the vehicle.

Unless the dealership is throwing in a killer warranty - like 3 years unlimited mileage or something to that effect, I wouldn't touch it. Even then you are loosing money immediately. You may be able to use the accident as a bargaining strategy if you really want the car (whether warranty or price of the car), but just be prepared to run into potential issues.

Also, the used market is stronger than it's ever been right now due to a multitude of factors, not to mention the R is a rare car right now. Dealerships are trying to buy them up to replenish inventory because they know people will buy them for what they are asking. I've received letters from more than on dealer asking to buy mine. You will pay more for a used Golf R right now than ever. I could sell mine private party right now for more than I paid for the car 2 years ago.

Hyperlite

Go Kart Newbie
Ok thanks. Would only consider it if they offered a DEEP discount which I’m sure they’re not likely to do right now. Gunna go drive it tomorrow anyway and find out.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

To answer your question specifically a tune voids powertrain related warranty problems only. The cruise control would still be covered. But I wouldn't advise buying it either.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Ok thanks. Would only consider it if they offered a DEEP discount which I’m sure they’re not likely to do right now. Gunna go drive it tomorrow anyway and find out.

Yeah I agree with aloha, it’s a Tuned Golf R with accident history. Run the other way.

Unfortunately with R’s, it’s a niche market for rich young f**kbois and mature adults. The car you’re asking about definitely belonged to the former. And if you’re looking for a deal on one owned by a mature adult, you’ll be hard-pressed to find one since those same people take good care of their cars and are looking for someone who values that as well, and has the money to pay for it.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Well, Hyperlite said the car was wrecked and had APR badges on it. Sounds like a fuckboy to me.

Obviously someone is trying to get rid of a problem. That doesn't mean all people who tune their cars are "fuckboys," but there's also something to be said about these types of situations. There are usually two categories with a 40k+ car. Either it's adult owned and taken care of, or some rich kid "mods" and wrecks the car. To each their own, I guess.

scotthilly

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE
I’ve got a 2019 GTI and test drove a few used R’s before buying and did again so recently just to check it out. I love the quad exhausts and the engine tuning on the R a little bit more - laggier is almost adding character, and the gearing on the manual is SO MUCH BETTER. Digital dash I could take or leave, but building in Germany seems to be a huge benefit as my Mexico-built GTI has had so many freaks and rattles.

You said you’re modding down the rod, so this won’t apply- but driving the R it felt so quick 0-40 and then barely ahead of the GTI from about 60 on. Sure enough, I checked Car and Driver and they had GTI’s going from 70-100 in about 7 seconds and R’s in 6.5. APR on the tune site lists their dyno as showing the GTI really only is about 25 hp & lbft down. Random, but was anyone else surprised by how similar they are speed wise above 50 or so?

Regardless, enjoy the R. Chris Harris did an excellent video with it vs the BMW 2 series. While the R is never a car that’s worth nearly 50% more than the gti (used R’s with 10k miles can be 40k, used GTI autobahns are high 20’s), it’s got excellent resale and is surely a great package. Not sure how well it’ll age with the MK8 GTI being even faster than it is, though - and with the MK8 R coming with the twin clutch AWD.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I’ve got a 2019 GTI and test drove a few used R’s before buying and did again so recently just to check it out. I love the quad exhausts and the engine tuning on the R a little bit more - laggier is almost adding character, and the gearing on the manual is SO MUCH BETTER. Digital dash I could take or leave, but building in Germany seems to be a huge benefit as my Mexico-built GTI has had so many freaks and rattles.

You said you’re modding down the rod, so this won’t apply- but driving the R it felt so quick 0-40 and then barely ahead of the GTI from about 60 on. Sure enough, I checked Car and Driver and they had GTI’s going from 70-100 in about 7 seconds and R’s in 6.5. APR on the tune site lists their dyno as showing the GTI really only is about 25 hp & lbft down. Random, but was anyone else surprised by how similar they are speed wise above 50 or so?

Regardless, enjoy the R. Chris Harris did an excellent video with it vs the BMW 2 series. While the R is never a car that’s worth nearly 50% more than the gti (used R’s with 10k miles can be 40k, used GTI autobahns are high 20’s), it’s got excellent resale and is surely a great package. Not sure how well it’ll age with the MK8 GTI being even faster than it is, though - and with the MK8 R coming with the twin clutch AWD.

twin clutch AWD? Is that how they’re describing it? Lol I gotta re-read the technical documentation