Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
about 15 to 20mm...

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
would golf R springs fit on a tsi? would the stock shocks be alright with golf r springs? and how much would it lower the car ?

GTI-R are about 15-20mm lower than the normal ride height...

Unfortunately the springs will be stiffer & may not lower that much as they are meant for the R or GTI which has a heavier 2lt engine in the front..

If you have the 1.8lt then the front weight difference isn't as much so you should be ok..

danbfree

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8 TSI
GTI-R are about 15-20mm lower than the normal ride height...

Unfortunately the springs will be stiffer & may not lower that much as they are meant for the R or GTI which has a heavier 2lt engine in the front..

If you have the 1.8lt then the front weight difference isn't as much so you should be ok..
The 1.8L is the literally the same engine, just with less stroke, cast instead of forged crank and VVT on only intake side instead of also on exhaust side, there will be no weight difference.

OP - Stock GTI springs are indeed 15-20mm lower than stock TSi springs, have a higher spring rate for better handling and make a perfect match as they are nearly identical cars, just smaller brakes, different strut mount, smaller sway bars, etc... and again, same engine physically with less stroke.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
The 1.8L is the literally the same engine, just with less stroke, cast instead of forged crank and VVT on only intake side instead of also on exhaust side, there will be no weight difference.

OP - Stock GTI springs are indeed 15-20mm lower than stock TSi springs, have a higher spring rate for better handling and make a perfect match as they are nearly identical cars, just smaller brakes, different strut mount, smaller sway bars, etc... and again, same engine physically with less stroke.

As the OP stated "TSI"..it could be any engine from a 1.8lt to a 1.5lt to a 1.4lt...

I do know the differences between the 1.8lt & 2lt....

That's why I also stated:- "If you have the 1.8lt then the front weight difference isn't as much so you should be ok".

danbfree

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8 TSI
As the OP stated "TSI"..it could be any engine from a 1.8lt to a 1.5lt to a 1.4lt...

I do know the differences between the 1.8lt & 2lt....

That's why I also stated:- "If you have the 1.8lt then the front weight difference isn't as much so you should be ok".
Heh, read that as the front weight difference was "much", my bad there... and yes, sometimes forget that not everyone got 1.8L, which is indeed identical in weight, not less at all, maybe 1-2 pounds with exhaust VVT on 2.0L that 1.8 doesn't have.

luke23

Car(s)
No current car
Heh, read that as the front weight difference was "much", my bad there... and yes, sometimes forget that not everyone got 1.8L, which is indeed identical in weight, not less at all, maybe 1-2 pounds with exhaust VVT on 2.0L that 1.8 doesn't have.
it is the 1.8t. i see used golf r springs for super cheap online. would golf r springs lower a tsi 1.8t and by how much?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
it is the 1.8t. i see used golf r springs for super cheap online. would golf r springs lower a tsi 1.8t and by how much?

As has already been stated 15mm to 20mm..