GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI Rabbit mpg

videoguy009

Ready to race!
I have a 2019 Rabbit gti with 5000 miles on it and I am getting 24mpg city with normal driving.I read on the forums that people are getting 30 and up.Is it true I will get better mpg as the car breaks in.

dietcokefiend

Master of Disaster
The 2019 models have had a stalling issue as that seems to also present and cause problems in regards to gas mileage. What are you seeing pure highway driving at a stable speed? City is far too variable since it could be like my area where there is no traffic and 40-50mph roads, or you could be driving uber in downtown Manhattan.

videoguy009

Ready to race!
Mine is a dsg with no stalling issues so far.I haven't done much highway driving thus far so I can't really say what the combined would be.I live in a small city with minimal traffic so not a lot of sitting in traffic.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
This car has the widest range of "normal" MPG I've ever seen on a car.

People saying they get 23 is no less surprising than people saying they're getting 38.

300 mile highway run, set the cruise at 75 in 6th (or 7th on a new DSG), you will guaranteed get 37+ mpg. Hit the twisties hard, lay on the gas coming off the line and up the entrance ramps, you're gonna get 25 mpg if you drive that way the whole tank.

If you're on the last 1/4 of a tank and really blast it down the highway (illegal speeds) you can actually see the fuel needle dropping.

My commute to work is 3 miles one way. Unless I drive every other mile on the highway just cruising I never get over 30 mpg for the whole tank. Short trips murder your mpg.

Last edited:

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
it may get a bit better but 24 city is good. Look at Fuelly for numbers.

gotta ask: car or math #'s?

videoguy009

Ready to race!
This car has the widest range of "normal" MPG I've ever seen on a car.

I can see why when driving it.The little car just wants to go as you can feel when you take your foot off the brake at a stop light in the D mode.I find it hard to drive it at a constant speed unless you really are conscience of it but who drives like that.Then again I think were all guilty of playing with it once in a while.

Last edited:

Beju

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit Ed.
My commute to work is 3 miles one way. Unless I drive every other mile on the highway just cruising I never get over 30 mpg for the whole tank. Short trips murder your mpg.
A lot of people have a hard time understanding this. A buddy with a 3 mile committee whined incessantly how his Mazda3 2.5 didn't get close to the EPA rated fuel economy. Meanwhile, my CX-5 with the same engine could match the EPA estimates, and beat them under ideal conditions.

I've yet to break in my manual 2019 Rabbit Edition, but it's gotten 31 mpg on a 66 mile, mostly highway, round trip loaded with my wife and kids. I seem to be getting 19-20 mpg in short trips. Not sure what my commuting fuel economy will be since I've been on vacation.

I'm satisfied because that's better than my old Mazdaspeed3 which was rated for 18/26 mpg did. Even when it was stock, I'd be lucky to get 16 mpg in short trips, and never got over 26 mpg highway. In typical mostly highway commuting, I'd get 22-23 mpg.

I had very low mileage compared to my 2018.

Run tank almost dry. Fill with 93 oct from a newer BP or shell station. Reset the ECU. Drive the crap out of the car. Wide open throttle 1st, 2nd, 3rd, ss close to redline without going to jail over and over for about 20 min. Your fuel and timing maps will correct. Then always run high octane from a good gas station.

The 2019 maps are very finicky. Seems VW was way too aggressive with timing at low RPM if I had to guess, as I was noticing much higher oil temps than my 2018 when driven hard.

Do this for now and you'll be good until VW sorts out the tune. You aren't imagining low mileage, it's a common complaint with the 2019.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Mine has averaged over 30 in mostly crowded, rural driving in a hilly locale. Not big city stop and go, but certainly not steady state highway cruising. My one highway trip registered 46 mpg @ 75 mph on level ground. Any kind of incline brought it down to 40 or high 30s. Still, this car has amazing gas mileage.

We4nolans

Passed Driver's Ed
We are getting about 30 around town. On a recent highway trip I got 42 mpg. This included going through a lot of hills and I was not driving gently.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion

Run tank almost dry. Fill with 93 oct from a newer BP or shell station. Reset the ECU. Drive the crap out of the car. Wide open throttle 1st, 2nd, 3rd, ss close to redline without going to jail over and over for about 20 min. Your fuel and timing maps will correct. Then always run high octane from a good gas station.

The 2019 maps are very finicky. Seems VW was way too aggressive with timing at low RPM if I had to guess, as I was noticing much higher oil temps than my 2018 when driven hard.

Do this for now and you'll be good until VW sorts out the tune. You aren't imagining low mileage, it's a common complaint with the 2019.

It’s an interesting theory, but I’m not sure all of this is fact, but more opinion. I recall Arin saying the ECU was quite different from before, so you may be right.
I would be interested in getting his take on this, as I cannot say I’ve had any MPG issues.

Also, even small, simple things, can cause drops in mpg, even tires can lose 2-3 on their own if changed.

videoguy009

Ready to race!

How do you reset the ecu?