GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI/R oem pipes for the TSI

GeorgeTDI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Mk6 TDI
Does anyone know what oem pipes/hoses, from the GTI or R, can be fitted and make improvements on the 1.8 TSI engine ? Turbo outlet and inlet pipes ? Other parts ?

black forest ind

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
All of them
None.

GeorgeTDI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Mk6 TDI
It would be far cheaper to go with aftermarket even if parts from the GTI did fit.
If you go chinese then yes (see last link), otherwise probably not, especially in my case where they have to be imported from the US to EU, with high shipping fees and taxes. Anyway I think some parts should fit, since several tuners offer upgrade pipes compatible with both the 1.8 and 2.0 Gen3 engines:

https://www.awesomegti.com/shop-by-...e-conversion-pipe-kit-mqb-chassis-1-8-2-0tsi/
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Golf-GT...S3-Intercooler-Charge-Pipe-Kit-/192763220939/

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
They're identical for us all. Technically the R has a slightly larger intercooler, but it's negligible and not even close to worth the work involved replacing it. Also, the stock parts are good enough to not be necisary to replace even on very high power builds (I think it was APR's demo stage 3 golf R that they returned all of the charge piping to stock because it was at least as good as the aftermarket stuff).

GeorgeTDI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Mk6 TDI
They're identical for us all. Technically the R has a slightly larger intercooler, but it's negligible and not even close to worth the work involved replacing it. Also, the stock parts are good enough to not be necisary to replace even on very high power builds (I think it was APR's demo stage 3 golf R that they returned all of the charge piping to stock because it was just as good as the aftermarket stuff).
So you're saying the piping is identical for 1.8 and 2.0 engines ? Then oem is no longer attractive...

What do you think about the chinese ebay kit ? I have to get something either way since two pipes are broken on the car from the crash, so I figured I might as well get something larger :)

Attachments

• pipes.jpg
    pipes.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 246

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
There is way more to life than buying cheap Chinese crap( for the most part) would you put Chinese brakes on your car? Eat Chinese cereal? Why bother doing that for something of dubious benefit anyways?

GeorgeTDI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Mk6 TDI
Yeah, like racing a meat wagon and trolling on the internet ? Why would I pay 3x to 4x of the price for a simple pipe ? I actually have good things to do with my money.

Last edited:

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
The pressure sensors are after all that piping. As long as your turbo isn't outside of its efficiency range, your car will just spin the turbo harder to make the pressure it wants to see at those sensors. You may need to increase efficiency of the engine itself in order to see gains from those pipes. You could make it a little easier on your turbo to make boost, but you will likely not really make more power because of the way the ECU targets power/boost. Some people have also blamed those pipes for false knock.

Yeah, like racing a meat wagon and trolling on the internet ? Why would I pay 3x to 4x of the price for a simple pipe ? I actually have good things to do with my money.

GeorgeTDI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Mk6 TDI
The pressure sensors are after all that piping. As long as your turbo isn't outside of its efficiency range, your car will just spin the turbo harder to make the pressure it wants to see at those sensors. You may need to increase efficiency of the engine itself in order to see gains from those pipes. You could make it a little easier on your turbo to make boost, but you will likely not really make more power because of the way the ECU targets power/boost. Some people have also blamed those pipes for false knock.
Are you referring to all larger pipe kits (57 to 63 mm) ? Or just the specific kit(s) that I linked ? Here is a link to a similar kit from Spulen (63mm).

Can you link to discussions reporting those problems ? The topics I've found here and over at Vortex had neutral or positive reviews. Here is a dyno graph (from the manufacturer):

Attachments

• Boost-Pipes-Dyno-S.jpg
    Boost-Pipes-Dyno-S.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Are you referring to all larger pipe kits (57 to 63 mm) ? Or just the specific kit(s) that I linked ? Here is a link to a similar kit from Spulen (63mm).

Can you link to discussions reporting those problems ? The topics I've found here and over at Vortex had neutral or positive reviews.
When I looked in to these, I think there were mixed or bad reviews for anything less than a unitronic or neuspeed kit. The CTS kit was definitely giving more than one person false knock. Of course who knows how the china kits fit. Could be fine. But I think a lot of guys here are gonna say don't bother unless you get a larger turbo with a larger turbo outlet. Even then not sure it will make a huge difference with OEM turbo.

GeorgeTDI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Mk6 TDI
Most positive comments about these say the turbo spools faster / "boost comes much quicker", which I like since I want fast, low rpm torque, not necessary more top end power. If you could link to some of those discussions with negative reviews I'd be interested. Since it's just a bunch of larger pipes, I imagine the results would be similar. Like I said, I have to get something either way, oem or aftermarket, since two of the pipes are broken on the car (I think it was the turbo outlet pipes, which are plastic and were busted along with the intercooler).

Edit: Here is a thread with mixed reviews and talk of false knock.

Last edited:

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Oh if you need to get pipes cuz broken then maybe get the china ones. Just take super care in making sure they don't bang in to the engine. If they do bang, they are cheap enough to just dent in a little? I'd have to do a deep dive in to the subject again to find what I read. It's likely the thread you linked. If you're looking for quick spool, a ECU remap will get you there for sure. Probably more than any pipes could. Like I said, the car uses a pressure sensor to put a lid on anything too far outside its programmed parameters.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Not worth the time or money.

GeorgeTDI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Mk6 TDI
Oh if you need to get pipes cuz broken then maybe get the china ones. Just take super care in making sure they don't bang in to the engine. If they do bang, they are cheap enough to just dent in a little? I'd have to do a deep dive in to the subject again to find what I read. It's likely the thread you linked. If you're looking for quick spool, a ECU remap will get you there for sure. Probably more than any pipes could. Like I said, the car uses a pressure sensor to put a lid on anything too far outside its programmed parameters.
Thanks, after the engine is put together I will get a tune, most likely a stage2 from APR. In the mean time I'm also looking for these pipes used oem, if I can't find used and the price for new oem is similar to the chinese kit, I was thinking about going with the Ebay stuff since it is larger :cool: Also they claim they're made of aluminum, which is arguably better than plastic or rubber (if they fit right and don't start banging into stuff).

Even in that thread I didn't seem to find any actual negative reviews. Aside from the false knock thing, they either say no benefits (at least on stock turbo), or stuff like "turbo spools quicker and is a little more responsive", "turbo is spooling quicker so power coming on faster and defiantly feels like more TQ", which is what I'm more interested in than more power over stock pipes (APR tune has enough power as it is...).

Edit: Here is an actual negative review

Last edited:

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie

Can you link to discussions reporting those problems ? The topics I've found here and over at Vortex had neutral or positive reviews. Here is a dyno graph (from the manufacturer):

Minimal torque loss and minimal hp gain. Too many variables can make back to back dyno runs get different results. Even with the same exact parts