GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI PAINT PEELING

Mk7brat

Car(s)
GTI
I have a 2015 GTI and the paint is peeling in more places than one. I've contacted the dealership, submitted pictures and submitted pictures when I first bought the car because the paint was peeling... But it's 2021 and still no resolve. Anybody have any suggestions on how to get this addressed. This is so frustrating.

Jrb5

Passed Driver's Ed
If the factory paint was peeling/defective while still under warranty (for what part of the car's warranty for 2015 year cars that covers paint defects) and you reached out to the dealer with evidence (and this is documented in email - not a phone call unless you recorded it with the date being mentioned) of this defect, and the defect was not caused by abnormal wear and tear then you might have a chance for having it repaired still.

If you reached out after the warranty period expired or you do not have documentation of this communication during the warranty period or the paint that is defective is not the factory paint (IE that area was repainted for whatever reason) then you probably will have to cover any type of repair on your own.

When did you first reach out? Do you have this documented? Are you 100% certain the paint that is peeling/defective is the factory paint?

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Six years have passed. Not sure any advice here will help. What exactly have you done with the dealer and/or VW in this time?

Mk7brat

Car(s)
GTI
I do have the first initial complaint I made. The dealership also has a copy because it was them that I made the complaint too. But the people there never got back to me, but when I went back in February the took more pics and haven't heard back.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
@Mk7brat; did you buy the car new or used? If used, then there’s always a chance the peeling paint isn’t the original factory paint. If so, then VW won’t want to know (and why would they?). Do you use a pressure washer when you wash your car? There have been instances of paint damage through incorrect use of pressure washers - e.g. holding the pressure washer lance too close to the bodywork, or pointing the lance directly at the bodywork rather than at an angle to reduce the force at which the water hits the paintwork.

If it’s not a pressure washer issue and there are no obvious signs of paint repairs, I’d be getting the paint checked for inconsistencies in paint thickness at various points over the car’s bodywork - if there are any inconsistencies, then that would be a good indication of paint repairs at sometime during your car’s life. You could also check for other tell tale signs of previous body work and / or paint repairs; differences in paint shade / finish between panels, ‘hard’ edges around door / bonnet (hood) / tailgate openings from masking up prior to painting, uneven panel gaps etc. Assuming you don’t have a paint thickness gauge (if you do, then you’d probably have checked it anyway), a professional car detailer or a body shop should be able to measure the paint depth for you.