GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI MK7 Driver Side Door Sill light not working!!

QuickSilver17

Hopefully this is in the right area. I drive a 2017 Golf GTI which is currently covered under the CPO warranty. The driver side door sill lighting (red LED strip on the footstep) stopped working a couple of months ago. It works on the passenger side. I got it checked last week as part of my regular service and the Service person tells me that since it is a luxury item, the part is not covered under CPO warranty and must be ordered separately at $450 for just the part. Is there a way that I can actually verify the list of components that are covered under CPO warranty? Also, if I get the part replaced externally, will I end up voiding the entire CPO warranty? Any suggestions are much appreciated :)

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
google: vw cpo wtty pdf (and model year)

diy replacing should not void anything else in the wtty unless it really affects it directly

Mud

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I would tend to doubt it's covered, but I would also doubt that the service advisor knows anything.

I also doubt the part is actually $450 on its own. I'd get a few second opinions, one from an indy shop if you can find one you trust.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
$450 seems crazy. Is the light strip a part of the actual door sill trim? If so then I believe it. Do you have the part number? I bet you can find it cheaper from 3rd party VW part warehouses.

ToddMS

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf TSI SE
I would think if it was an option when the car was factory built it should be covered. Factory installed parts at time of purchase are included in the entirety of warranty. If it was put in after by previous owner it won’t be. $450 does seem high for one, but I looked up a Porsche one at work last week and it was $780.
Do you still have the window sticker to see if it was an installed part?

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
I would think if it was an option when the car was factory built it should be covered. Factory installed parts at time of purchase are included in the entirety of warranty. If it was put in after by previous owner it won’t be. $450 does seem high for one, but I looked up a Porsche one at work last week and it was $780.
Do you still have the window sticker to see if it was an installed part?

Maybe it's one of those items covered by the bumper to bumper warranty but not the CPO one.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Should be covered I would think.
For the longest time I thought my led strip over the glove box wasn’t working. Turned out there isn’t an led there haha

DV8EDD

Car(s)
2016 MK7, 2020 SPWB
old thread but thought I'd try and ask. Anyone know the part number? I've been searching around and cant find it (I admit I'm old and not great at searching). my passenger side is out :(

bdtrngl

Car(s)
2017 Sport
old thread but thought I'd try and ask. Anyone know the part number? I've been searching around and cant find it (I admit I'm old and not great at searching). my passenger side is out :(
2 door or 4 door? My driver side went out last year and I recall them being different. IIRC the driver side is 5GM853369JDAT and 5GM853370JDAT is passenger for 4 door. This website is great for parts but not easy to use. The OEM replacement was a bit pricey for my taste and I found a guide somewhere on these boards where you replace the led strip with one off amazon. Under $20 for the LED strip and wasn't too hard if you know how to remove trim and can solder. How my driver side looks now (probably should go do the passenger side soon):

20210829_170100.jpg

DV8EDD

Car(s)
2016 MK7, 2020 SPWB
Awesome thanks, I’ll take a look at the site. Mine is the 4 door.

Thankfully the seller (I just got the car) is fixing it next week.

On a side note, these lights really do pop in the interior, really nice touch!

amsr

Ready to race!
I have a 2017 VW GTI. My drivers side door sill red led strip stopped working at some point in the last year. The passenger side still works. I thought leds are supposed to last like 10 years? It looks like you have to replace the whole lower interior moulding/trim to fix it. Part is like $200 from VW according to the part number cited above. Anyone have a diy?

bdtrngl

Car(s)
2017 Sport
I have a 2017 VW GTI. My drivers side door sill red led strip stopped working at some point in the last year. The passenger side still works. I thought leds are supposed to last like 10 years? It looks like you have to replace the whole lower interior moulding/trim to fix it. Part is like $200 from VW according to the part number cited above. Anyone have a diy?

This is what I followed to replace mine. Cheaper and brighter than stock if you don't mind pulling trim and soldering.

Anthonytokatly

Car(s)
MK7 GTI
2 door or 4 door? My driver side went out last year and I recall them being different. IIRC the driver side is 5GM853369JDAT and 5GM853370JDAT is passenger for 4 door. This website is great for parts but not easy to use. The OEM replacement was a bit pricey for my taste and I found a guide somewhere on these boards where you replace the led strip with one off amazon. Under $20 for the LED strip and wasn't too hard if you know how to remove trim and can solder. How my driver side looks now (probably should go do the passenger side soon):

View attachment 243639
Hey dude! Quick question, does the red light up in intervals, like dots, cause of the new LED light strip instead of the a continuous red line like before? Cause im in the process of DIYing mine to fix it, still need to buy the light strip.