GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI MK7 BOV

bublington

Car(s)
GTI
I'm wanting to know if installing an aftermarket bov or dv is a bad idea to a 2016 gti. I've read good and bad reviews, good because people state that the new ea888 gen3 has no issues with releasing air instead of recycling the air through the system. But i read some reviews stating that it can cause loss of power and issues with the turbo/engine if you do add a bov because its designed to have the air be recycled. I cant find a current forum that addresses the issue, sorry if it's a dumb question. I do not currently own a gti but will be purchasing soon.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
thanks for the reply, why do you say bad idea? is there an issue with the life span of the turbo/engine? do you own a mk7 gti? what about a spacer for the stock dv?
Everything works better with the stock DV - no spacer. Stock is best. If you are looking for noise intakes are the best solution with IE v2 being the loudest.

bublington

Car(s)
GTI
Ok, would that be able to be said about all cars? or is the mk7 dv just best all around staying stock? im sorry for all the questions i just dont wanna screw something up and regret all my life decisions.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Ok, would that be able to be said about all cars? or is the mk7 dv just best all around staying stock? im sorry for all the questions i just dont wanna screw something up and regret all my life decisions.
Get a hold of yourself. There is no need to regret all of your life's decisions over a DV. The DV on the MK7 works particularly well; all the tuners recommend it and several members are running them on 400+WHP builds. You'll be ok.

bublington

Car(s)
GTI
Get a hold of yourself. There is no need to regret all of your life's decisions over a DV. The DV on the MK7 works particularly well; all the tuners recommend it and several members are running them on 400+WHP builds. You'll be ok.Lo
lol, last question and i know you said to stay stock ill take your advice but what about something like the plumb back or forge recirculating bov that recirculates the air like the stock dv, same issue? ill probably just go with the IE v2 i just had also read that a CAI in the mk7 isn't really worth the money being 350$ for maybe 5hp increase.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
lol, last question and i know you said to stay stock ill take your advice but what about something like the plumb back or forge recirculating bov that recirculates the air like the stock dv, same issue? ill probably just go with the IE v2 i just had also read that a CAI in the mk7 isn't really worth the money being 350$ for maybe 5hp increase.
If you want noise and turbo sounds get the IE V2 intake. It is obnoxious at times. Keep DV stock. Intake is best kept stock as well, unless you want excessive noise. I thought I did, but I was wrong.

bublington

Car(s)
GTI
If you want noise and turbo sounds get the IE V2 intake. It is obnoxious at times. Keep DV stock. Intake is best kept stock as well, unless you want excessive noise. I thought I did, but I was wrong.
Is it really that much louder? I've watched videos and its hard to tell from a mic rather than in person. Did you purchase said intake?

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Is it really that much louder? I've watched videos and its hard to tell from a mic rather than in person. Did you purchase said intake?
Yes, it is that much louder. I have it, it's getting to the point that it is too much for me. even at like 2500 RPM, in the neighbourhood, it is hissing at children playing on the street.

bublington

Car(s)
GTI
Yes, it is that much louder. I have it, it's getting to the point that it is too much for me. even at like 2500 RPM, in the neighbourhood, it is hissing at children playing on the street.

Awesome, I really appreciate your help. I will end up buying it rather than the bov. Would you think it would be worth it to also go ahead and buy the IE inlet pipe to match?

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Awesome, I really appreciate your help. I will end up buying it rather than the bov. Would you think it would be worth it to also go ahead and buy the IE inlet pipe to match?
I did. The only reason why I did it is because I felt like changing something on the car that particular weekend. That and I was installing the dieselgeek sigma 6, so i told myself, what the hell, if the intake is already out, might as well change it. Both of the pieces fit well. I believe forum members have had problems with the v1 version of the intake. I have not had any problems with this one. Both the TIP and intake fit very well.

bublington

Car(s)
GTI
I did. The only reason why I did it is because I felt like changing something on the car that particular weekend. That and I was installing the dieselgeek sigma 6, so i told myself, what the hell, if the intake is already out, might as well change it. Both of the pieces fit well. I believe forum members have had problems with the v1 version of the intake. I have not had any problems with this one. Both the TIP and intake fit very well.
Ok good to know, do you have any tune on your car? i was going to purchase the cobb accessport rather than getting something similar to the apr but was told apr doesnt do that anymore. which is why i was leaning towards the accessport

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Everything works better with the stock DV - no spacer. Stock is best. If you are looking for noise intakes are the best solution with IE v2 being the loudest.
I have one. It's loud AF.
20210406_182918.jpg

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Ok good to know, do you have any tune on your car? i was going to purchase the cobb accessport rather than getting something similar to the apr but was told apr doesnt do that anymore. which is why i was leaning towards the accessport
I do, I have a unitronic tune on my car. It is a mild tune, with many others putting up higher numbers in terms of performance. It has been quite reliable however, and I have not had a single issue. All that said, a lot of forum members have had success with eqt, and it seems to be one of, if not the best option for this car: https://eqtuning.com/

If I would do it all over again, I would go the COBB accessport route and go with EQT. I will stay at the levels where I am now; I was planning to go big turbo this summer, but life put new plans in front of me and the turbo will have to be delayed by a few months.