GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI Mk 7 6MT Reverse Not Engaging Properly

Bacchanalian

Searching around tells me this isn't a completely unheard of issue, but the mechanic at my dealership had not heard of it and claims to have worked there for over 10 years.

Basically, off a cold start I can't get the car into reverse properly. There's no satisfying "pop" when I push down, and it feels like I'm cramming it into 1st. Most of the time it will actually partially engage reverse and start inching backwards as I let off the clutch, but often in this situation the stick will shudder violently, I'll hear a grinding sound, and the stick will pop into neutral. This guy's video on YouTube is very similar to the problem--it'll shudder like this, and if I start backing out, it'll go about a car length and then pop out of gear.

After I run to the store or drive it even a half mile, I can turn it off, park it, and come back out and it slides into reverse just fine.

This is my second GTI in two years (my 2016 got obliterated by hail, so I traded it in for a 2017 rather than wait 6 months on repairs), and the old one never did this. My 2017 has less than 3,000 miles on it. I've only started noticing it in the last few weeks, when the temperatures in my garage have consistently stayed around 50 or below, so I don't know if temperature has anything to do with it. Truly told I half chalked it up to operator error, because I've only driven a manual for 12,000 miles, so maybe I was just doing something wrong, but it keeps happening, only when starting out of my garage, and when I described it to my wife she suddenly had a light bulb too. It happened to her that when she thought for sure she had it in reverse (and she's driven a clutch for several hundred thousand miles, so I know it's not operator error with her), but when she started to let out the clutch it inched forward instead. She put it back in neutral, disengaged and reengaged the clutch and it worked fine. At the time she shrugged it off to her not paying attention, but in retrospect what I'm describing with having trouble "finding" reverse when I first start it was exactly what she experienced.

Anyone have any idea?

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
MT's in MK7's can be a little stiff/notchy when they're cold. Sounds like the case for your car as well, since you noticed that it happens in colder weather.

Bacchanalian

MT's in MK7's can be a little stiff/notchy when they're cold. Sounds like the case for your car as well, since you noticed that it happens in colder weather.

The notchy and stiff I'm used to--I had my 2016 for a year almost to the day, through a Colorado winter. Had to get in many times in sub-freezing temperatures outside after being at work for a day, but I never had the issue before the 2017. This isn't just it being a little stiff--it's straight up refusing to go into gear until it warms up. Best thing I can figure is to just let it idle after start for a bit before trying to shift.

I'm going to let the dealership look at it anyway, it makes me nervous when 12,000 miles in my 2016 had zero issues and the 2017 has issues before 3,000 miles.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Are you letting the car warm up for a minute or two on cold starts? And did you try revving it up by a couple hundred in neutral when it doesn't want to go into gear, then trying to put it in reverse again?

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
Mine does this when cold as well. Kind of annoying but I've adjusted. For 1st/R, I sometimes quickly take it out of gear and put it back in just to be sure.

The clutch/shifter on these cars is really one of the few big complaints I have. Pretty disappointing from the factory.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
The ebrake being set can cause the driveline to bind slightly. Next cold start release all brakes and allow the car to settle before attempting to put it in reverse.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Try allowing a short warm up then putting car into 5th, then first, put back to neutral, release then reengage clutch and press down and up to reverse. Having multiple gears in same shaft always causes problems in colder weather. My car does the same as did my mustang but this little trick works every time as it aligns everything. It may sound like a lot but takes me 1.6 seconds to do in real time.

Gibberoni

Ready to race!
This has happened to me as well. I find if I give the engine a little blip of throttle, and row the gears from 1-2 a few times, it will slide right into reverse.

Other solution is to always reverse park. Thats what I do anyways :D

r-gazmic

Passed Driver's Ed
I actually had this happen this morning, 2nd time it's happened this year. It would feel like it was going into reverse and then pop into what felt like first even though the backup camera stayed on.

I went through 1st and 2nd a couple times and then tried reverse again and it worked, definitely strange though.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Fairly common manual transmission operation when cold. If you notice this happening, go back to neutral, clutch in and out, and try again. Sometimes blipping the throttle helps.

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
I've had this happen as well. I've found if I put it in 1st and move literally an inch forward and then try tossing it into reverse it fixes the issue. It's happened to me twice this winter and both times this worked flawlessly. I've had this happen on my old MKV Rabbit as well.