GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI manual 6 speed gear ratios

Shifty6

Ready to race!
Danall: ok I have my car now. Coming from my Mk6 I think the transmission is better. The ratios in the 6 had 1st gear as a granny. The new ratio is very nice in first. I think it is very usable, not short at all. The ratios in first are a bit longer so it is usable and by the time you get to sixth it is longer as well so the engine is at a lower rpm for the highway. The passing power is sacrificed a bit but I'm still not full throttle yet, so that may change as I can lean on the car a bit more.

Overall, I am very pleased. Obviously this is all one guys opinion, but I think it is better than the 6. Again as I get into the throttle more that may change but for town driving I am really happy. I hope you have the same experience.

Edit:
DanielSL - I had a different experience. I think first is way better than in the mk6. Funny. I think first is much better on the mk7.

casualsurfer

Ready to race!
Having read through the entire thread, it seems the general consensus is that the first gear is too short on the manual but rest is fine. Any idea if a taller first gear is offered by any aftermarket supplier for when we want to do this?

erikweber321

Ready to race!
I would really like to re gear 1st, it's just wayy too long.

I'll be the first to admit that my 2nd gear has gotten notchier because of my driving habits having launched it a zillion times because to get the box into 2nd gear requires the synchro to REALLY have to grab onto the cone because of the excessive rotational speed difference, which leads to lots of synchro wear due to the dog pushing the synchro down until it manages to slow enough to allow the dog over into the teeth of the synchro and thus into the teeth of the gear.

I feel like the consequence of this is that your 2nd gear's gate gets crappy really quickly after use.

35k 2015 6mt

Also I feel like the increased time to slide the dog turns into extra shift fork wear as well. The whole feel of "getting into 2nd" is crappy 35k miles later because of compounding effects of shift key wear and synchro wear all due to excessive ratio differences. If I ever open the transmission I'll completely regear it and certainly replace and hopefully upgrade the synchros or shift keys.

1 more thing - my main gripe - perhaps only complaint - with this car at all is specifically that mastering 1st to 2nd is actually HARD, and I've never felt that way about any gear in any car before.

stop and go driving - i shift out of 1st at ~1800rpm and it's smooth as butter and weak

getting going from a stop - i can either a; shift real early at 1600-1800 and lay into 2nd and let it wind up, OR B; i really spin 1st out into 3,500rpm to allow a little more time for me to comfortably get into 2nd and slide the clutch in. Option A is good for when I'm just going and totally day dreaming. Option B is my general go to since, well, shit it's a GTI. It does kind of bug me that I've got to let it out so much. God forbid I try to do a hop betwen 2k and 3k, it's this insanely awkward zone to figure out timing! You've really got to shift quick as all hell if you're letting 1st out into this zone, and sometimes the shifter can't find the gear in this zone even though this is where I "feel the engine wants to change" the most. It's the fact it feels right but doesn't operate like how it feels like it should that bugs me about the ratio right between 2k-3k, for me personally.

beat the idiot in the other lane - I ride first out into 5k-6k because if I'm generally close to 80%+WOT, and throw it before that range then I'm slipping the clutch a TON and the shifter doesn't love to find the gear. Once you get it high enough the shifter finds the gear like butter, finally, but it's not forgiving until you really ride it up if you're trying to really move

launching with 3-4k drop - there are a few ways to skin this cat, but I aim for 6k generally because once the grip's there it winds up SO fast that it's easier to coordinate a 6k drop down to around 4k. If you hit 2nd any lower than 4k because it has an issue finding the gear you're really asking for trouble and the power and turbo spool is almost GONE. If you hit 2nd 4k+ then you're going to be rocking a shit eating grin, no doubt, and sometimes even skip the wheels (feels GREAT).

But I reiterate that the entire problem I've got is that I've - and this seems like a common theme - really got to "find it or grind it" if I want to make sure the general operation goes off without a hitch **at the expense of the dog and synchros! it doesn't make me feel good about it all the time unless I get real lucky with the synchro hitting at right spot. Getting lucky with synchros due to excessively long gears? Regearing is project #2, definitely.

Last edited:

StopSweatinMe

Ready to race!
I absolutely love the long gearing of the 6mt, compared to the short gearing of the mk6 or the DSG.

I'm stage 2 and gears 2, 3 and 4 just pull very hard. I never really downshift to third on the highway to pass, because 4th pulls hard starting at about 70 mph and will take you to about 135 mph. Definitely my favorite gear in this car.

Also, a short second gear would just mean more wheelspin for me. The long second gear is much appreciated once tuned.

Even at stock power levels I liked the gearing because there was much less shifting required compared to my mk6. I thought that was geared way too short and it was terrible for highway cruising at 80+ mph.

casualsurfer

Ready to race!
I think a slightly taller first gear so it's not as spread out with the second gear would be nice. Does anyone have a Gear->Max Speed chart?

N10S

Ready to race!
1 more thing - my main gripe - perhaps only complaint - with this car at all is specifically that mastering 1st to 2nd is actually HARD, and I've never felt that way about any gear in any car before.

My experience is that the 1st to 2nd gear shift has been an issue with many cars I have owned. My Evo VIII , two WRX's, a Forester xt, an E36 m3 and m coupe, and a couple of bi turbo S4's were all tough to shift cleanly under heavy launch and torque load.

I haven't noticed the gti being any worse than the aforementioned cars even when I was running a short shift kit in a few of those.

erikweber321

Ready to race!
My experience is that the 1st to 2nd gear shift has been an issue with many cars I have owned. My Evo VIII , two WRX's, a Forester xt, an E36 m3 and m coupe, and a couple of bi turbo S4's were all tough to shift cleanly under heavy launch and torque load.

I haven't noticed the gti being any worse than the aforementioned cars even when I was running a short shift kit in a few of those.
I needed to hear that :)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

craigsix

Ready to race!
^ Like he said, this engine makes plenty of low-end torque to start pulling the moment you get into 2nd if needed. I have a lot of seat time in manual MK7 GTI and I think they are properly setup for traffic driving, you can put it in 2nd and drive through 95% of stop and go traffic without downshifting. I also prefer the manuals HWY gearing over the DSG too, the DSG feels sluggish even in manual mode when trying to pass someone on the HWY in 3rd or 4th gear at ~ 60MPH... The manual feels like a rocket ship in comparison at that speed.
i found if you dont mash the pedal to the floor and push it till it just touches the kickdown button it feels way more torquey in drive mode.

marauder

Go Kart Newbie
Looking at this thread, it's funny as I'm seeing it the exact opposite. I'm loving how tall first and second gear are. I'm coming from the Focus ST and first gear at 7000rpm can do 40mph and Second can do 66.7. Meanwhile the redline is 6500

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Looking at this thread, it's funny as I'm seeing it the exact opposite. I'm loving how tall first and second gear are. I'm coming from the Focus ST and first gear at 7000rpm can do 40mph and Second can do 66.7. Meanwhile the redline is 6500

It just leaves the car feeling slow at stock power, is my main issue. I miss having the JB1 on map 1 4.8, bc it made the gears feel half a gear shorter if that makes any sense. so, 2nd gear felt half way between 1 and 2 in terms of power delivery. 3rd gear felt half way between 2 and 3. 3rd gear in this car is criminally bland at stock power. Really doesnt feel fast at all. For some reason, tho, i dont mind 4th. Obv 5th and 6th are barely worth mentioning

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
2nd is way too tall IMO. A 4mph slower 2nd would probably make the car feel more responsive. Unless you are shifting at the top of 1st you'll more than likely be off boost in 2nd.

For DD-ing its probably not a huge issue, but in autoXing environment its a bit of a pain.

marauder

Go Kart Newbie
Yea second is tall. It's almost like the gearing is for a 5 speed. 2nd is sluggish on stock tune till like 3.5-4K where it needs to down around 3k.

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
2nd is way too tall IMO. A 4mph slower 2nd would probably make the car feel more responsive. Unless you are shifting at the top of 1st you'll more than likely be off boost in 2nd.

For DD-ing its probably not a huge issue, but in autoXing environment its a bit of a pain.

Yes it is. On the average local event I feel like there's at least 2-3 places where I'm in between gears fighting between which one would be better where as in any other normal geared car it would be a second gear corner without any thought. On most tracks it's not much of a problem however.

lucyfek

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI & GSW
I don't get this whining. Did you try 5MT in Golf mk7? Now we're talking long gears. My biggest gripe with 1st in Golf was getting it going without stalling. All remaining upshifts were piece of cake, downshifting required proficiency at rev-matching (I do not claim to have mastered). 6MT in GTI is much easier and granny 1st (and Reverse) ratios are welcome. Now, I do miss final ratio of Golf's 5th. My preferred gearing would have ratios of 1st/R from GTI and 6th equal 5th in Golf with the rest spread out to make the most of torque and get best mpgs if desired (and match it to speed limits without lugging the engine). My 15 Golf was hypermiler's dream machine (with nice kick when pressed hard). GTI's gearbox is nicer overall but gone are 45+ mpgs (at the pump).

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
I was doing 39MPG last week highway, from pump calculated mileage(indicated 41mpg), doing about 75 on the interstate.

26MPG during SCCA Solo National including competition runs, Test and Tune, with 2 drivers.

The tall second would be less of an issue without Focus ST, which unfortunately is what you are competing against. Their 2nd goes to 62mph I think and they make pretty much all their boost at the bottom of the rev range.