GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI manual 6 speed gear ratios

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I don't get this whining. Did you try 5MT in Golf mk7? Now we're talking long gears. My biggest gripe with 1st in Golf was getting it going without stalling. All remaining upshifts were piece of cake, downshifting required proficiency at rev-matching (I do not claim to have mastered). 6MT in GTI is much easier and granny 1st (and Reverse) ratios are welcome. Now, I do miss final ratio of Golf's 5th. My preferred gearing would have ratios of 1st/R from GTI and 6th equal 5th in Golf with the rest spread out to make the most of torque and get best mpgs if desired (and match it to speed limits without lugging the engine). My 15 Golf was hypermiler's dream machine (with nice kick when pressed hard). GTI's gearbox is nicer overall but gone are 45+ mpgs (at the pump).

The Golf is a Golf, not a performance car. We're whining bc the GTI is a performance car and should have closer ratios, with a shorter 2nd and 3rd gear being of chief importance

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
You guys are lucky that you don't have to deal with the 5mt's 3rd gear. 1st and 2nd are perfect, 1st is almost the same as the gti, and 2nd is just that little bit shorter, topping it's 6800rpm at 70mph, but then 3rd is even longer than in the GTI, with 6800rpm at 115 (and in 4th it's almost 170), which means when you go to shift from 2nd to 3rd you're lucky if you start at 4000 rpm. I'd love a 3rd that tops out at 100 (shifting around 90ish), that would really transform the car.

Last edited:

lucyfek

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI & GSW
The Golf is a Golf, not a performance car. We're whining bc the GTI is a performance car and should have closer ratios, with a shorter 2nd and 3rd gear being of chief importance
I'd argue that GTI is more of the sporty car than performance one. After all it's really just tweaked Golf, a universal dd/hauler with extra kick (and it's not really a bad thing). I'd also say that - having driven both (now on GTI) - the performance difference is not that great (and Golf was more... bipolar). I think it's actually due to those long gears in Golf - true force multiplier for high torque engine that limited time lost while upshifting. Not that I do not enjoy extra rowing courtesy of the 6MT.
But it's not just gears. The engine is tuned so differently. In Golf fuel is cut off almost immediately when the foot is off the gas pedal, in GTI this is a longish process. I actually prefer the way it was done in Golf (as I'd rather control throttle with my foot than leave it to ECM and have the added benefit of better mpgs in daily use).

lucyfek

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI & GSW
You guys are lucky that you don't have to deal with the 5mt's 3rd gear. 1st and 2nd are perfect, 1st is almost the same as the gti, and 2nd is just that little bit shorter, topping it's 6800rpm at 70mph, but then 3rd is even longer than in the GTI, with 6800rpm at 115 (and in 4th it's almost 170), which means when you go to shift from 2nd to 3rd you're lucky if you start at 4000 rpm. I'd love a 3rd that tops out at 100 (shifting around 90ish), that would really transform the car.
TBH, I loved the 3dr in Golf. It was hilarious when used right (with turbo spun up).

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I'd argue that GTI is more of the sporty car than performance one. After all it's really just tweaked Golf, a universal dd/hauler with extra kick (and it's not really a bad thing).

Well, i had a Mk6 GTI before this with 200HP and 207TQ. The gearing in that car made it faster around town than the MK7. With the 7 you have to floor it to get any oomph. In the 6, that wasnt the case. And even comparing both at full throttle, the 6 spooled faster and pulled harder, despite less power, comparing gear for gear. Also, the Mk6 got better gas mileage around town than the 7, but worse on the highway (EPA est 21/31 for the 6, when in actuality i got 27-29/31-34, where on the 7 its advertised @ 25/34, when i get 24-26/34-37)

MKSeven

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti, duh.
Reviving a very old thread but, would it be possible to adjust the gear ratios? (Most likely not, but worth a shot asking)

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
I hate reverse. It's geared very tall and that makes it hard to crawl at slow speed in tight spots, without slipping the clutch.