GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI Lifespan

MrPEZident

Ready to race!
Car(s)
NA 2017 GTI SE
I want to know your MK7's mileage. Any 15-16 model years over 100k miles on the odo yet?

Why am I asking? I am looking at a '17 GTI but it already has over 60k miles on it. Would be hesitant to purchase if I only got 3-5 years and 40-50k miles out of it. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
Me personally; if I were interested in a '17 GTI or any "sporty" type of vehicle, I would have an unbiased mechanic do a thorough diagnostic on it before committing and even a compression test; to include inspection. People will do something like that for $100 / depending on their proximity to its location.
60K miles is already at or due for:
Transmission Fluid change (not to mention the condition of it)
Brakes (Discs & Rotors & Fluid)
Spark Plug Interval #2
Tire Wear
Engine Health (Cyl 1-4 Compression? Is the exhaust riddled with Black soot or stains?
Turbo Health
A/C
Alternator
Carbon (soot) on the Intake Manifold slides / Valves
Condition of the Cooling Stack? Is the A/C Condenser riddled with dents and bugs?
Is it "lowered" / How does the Composite Oil Pan look? Is it scuffed?
Etc, etc.......

If the owner or current business has MAINTENANCE records or maintenance proof by way of receipts etc, that may solidify things.
Only 1 Owner would be another sign only dealing with 1 previous owner.
But, did that owner TUNE that vehicle? If you really want to know, just look at the OBDII port and if it is scuffed, it was tuned bottom line - no &'s ifs or buts. Unless! They went with a JB1/JB4 - let the mechanic determine that.

So many things to consider.

In GER I don't know what price someone would pay for that '17 GTI, but in the U.S. I wouldn't pay more than $15.5K for an SE model. But, you didn't specify the model or trans type - nor from a dealer or private seller.
If it is from a Private Seller and they are promoting "Aftermarket parts or modifications" to the car, just walk away period. VW's are not cheap to fix and much of the time a lot of used vehicles were never maintained very well.
AND
When you do buy, never purchase at a price that is above what the Market Value would yield for the condition the vehicle is in - granted you do decide to purchase.

MrPEZident

Ready to race!
Car(s)
NA 2017 GTI SE
Me personally; if I were interested in a '17 GTI or any "sporty" type of vehicle, I would have an unbiased mechanic do a thorough diagnostic on it before committing and even a compression test; to include inspection. People will do something like that for $100 / depending on their proximity to its location.
Spark Plug Interval #2
Tire Wear
Engine Health (Cyl 1-4 Compression? Is the exhaust riddled with Black soot or stains?
Turbo Health
A/C
Alternator
Condition of the Cooling Stack? Is the A/C Condenser riddled with dents and bugs?
Etc, etc.......

If the owner or current business has MAINTENANCE records or maintenance proof by way of receipts etc, that may solidify things.
But, did that owner TUNE that vehicle? If you really want to know, just look at the OBDII port and if it is scuffed, it was tuned bottom line - no &'s ifs or buts. Unless! They went with a JB1/JB4 - let the mechanic determine that.

In GER I don't know what price someone would pay for that '17 GTI, but in the U.S. I wouldn't pay more than $15.5K for an SE model. But, you didn't specify the model or trans type - nor from a dealer or private seller.
If it is from a Private Seller and they are promoting "Aftermarket parts or modifications" to the car, just walk away period. VW's are not cheap to fix and much of the time a lot of used vehicles were never maintained very well.
AND
When you do buy, never purchase at a price that is above what the Market Value would yield for the condition the vehicle is in - granted you do decide to purchase.

US spec vehicle. SE, 6 speed manual transmission. 1 owner, a female in her late 20's. the miles are all highway miles, she lives 30 miles from work. She provided the full maintenace records, all done on-time at a local VW dealership.

I just got back from driving it on the autobahn and some back roads, it is truly in outstanding shape and drives very smooth. I made an offer, she accepted.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Doubt there is much if any carbon in there cuz Autobahn ;).

Plenty of smiles left in that car I'm sure.

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
Spark Plug Interval #2
Tire Wear
Turbo Health
A/C
Alternator
Etc, etc.......

AND

you have some good points but remind me of this guy that bought my used Honda Civic years back that I was selling for 5 grand. Guy was a worry case, this was before tire pressure monitoring systems and he checked the tire pressure on all the tires, one of the tires was a few psi low and he had a nervous breakdown. Said he can tell if owner takes care of car by tire pressure, said he checks his at each gas fill up, lol. Guys was nuts but he bought the car.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
"But, did that owner TUNE that vehicle? If you really want to know, just look at the OBDII port and if it is scuffed, it was tuned bottom line - no &'s ifs or buts"

So wrong for so many reasons.

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
Here is my list of issues from 0-100k miles https://www.carworklog.com/2020/02/26/100k-miles-on-the-2016-mk7-gti-dsg/

Here are common issues with the engine: https://www.carworklog.com/2016/06/28/common-issues-tips-and-tricks-for-the-2-0t-ea888-gen-3-engine/

This is a pretty reliable car and the only real expensive issue with the waterpump thermostat. Its important to do the maintenance when its due on this car and if you plan on tuning do oil changes a little sooner.

My car has been very good to me, leaps and bounds better than my old MK5 GLI.

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
lol what?
"But, did that owner TUNE that vehicle? If you really want to know, just look at the OBDII port and if it is scuffed, it was tuned bottom line - no &'s ifs or buts"

So wrong for so many reasons.
When an OP asks for advice and someone provides that and others chime in with nothing substantial to add to the topic, then it is simply noise.
If things "hit too close to home", take a shoulder strug or at least offer up something that pertains to the OP's topic.
Twitter is a better social media platform to express personal insecurities & grievances, Google it.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Cars which I have been a party to at the 40k-60k mark were all good purchases but after a few years they do start to show their age no matter how well maintained they were. Yeah, you'll probably get at least 5 years out of it but you might start having to fix things that normally go out around this mileage and it's up to you if that's within your tolerance level. It's always cheaper to FIX things than buy a brand new car but the frequency that normal items start to go can get pretty annoying if they start happening too frequently.

Since you already made an offer and it was accepted, any additional advice here is useless. But, based on your description, you'll probably get some good years out of it still. Plenty of time for you to save up for the next purchase!

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
When an OP asks for advice and someone provides that and others chime in with nothing substantial to add to the topic, then it is simply noise.
If things "hit too close to home", take a shoulder strug or at least offer up something that pertains to the OP's topic.
Twitter is a better social media platform to express personal insecurities & grievances, Google it.

Lol. There's nothing that needs to be added. Your comment is 100% wrong on it's face. If that hits too close to home, then take a shoulder strug (sic) and then something something.

In the same way its not necessary to offer up anything to counter the wacky claims of a flat earther, it's not necessary now either.

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
Lol. There's nothing that needs to be added. Your comment is 100% wrong on it's face. If that hits too close to home, then take a shoulder strug (sic) and then something something.

You said something that's wrong and completely out in left field and got called out on it.
Are you certain what I provided wasn't in Right Field?
Happy to have obtained your attention, it is very pleasing. Continue to shoulder shrug and don't forget to Tweet about it....